Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Oh yes. Bow down to the omnipotent federal government. We couldn't live without it.
We wouldn't be anything more then a loose collection of Feudal Level states mostly split up between four or five European countries without it.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,505,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Well, according to this link, the 50s looks like quite a liberating time.

Civil Rights Movement Timeline - 1951 to 1959

I can't make your link work. Eisenhower was the first president to try to give blacks their rights, remember he was Republican. He saw the horrors of WWII in Germany so it only makes sense he would want every person to have their free rights.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
There is some truth and quite a bit of irony in that. I don't normally agree with much you say - but this one brought a smile to my face.
Tune into "the Five" or "Red Eye." on FOX. Very good shows---but that's right you won't listen to that station.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Tune into "the Five" or "Red Eye." on FOX. Very good shows---but that's right you won't listen to that station.
You see? This is how it is trying to agree with a Republican ~ even in doing so - you get slapped in the face.

You do realize that normal people can agree on some things? Even if their political views disagree? And rational people can usually find some common ground even there.

Never mind.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, because only "Christians" know how to live a moral, just life. GMAFB
No one is saying that on here. you need to lighten up. Why do you hate Christians is the first question you need to ask yourself. No I really don't want to know the answer, I think I can guess from reading the threads on here. It's mostly a family issue.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Television is responding to market demand (something that people who so routinely fling the epithet "Marxist!" about should understand) rather than trying to teach moral lessons. People are interested in the classic western narrative of conflict.

There's a reason Mark Twain is more popular than Chick tracts, after all.

Nothing like the self-appointed champions of liberty complaining that entertainment is now market-oriented and doesn't condescendingly try to teach trite and unrealistic moral lessons.

Oh, but there's still a huge market for trite and unrealistic, and while I do admittedly find them a real guilty pleasure particularly this time of year, take a look at what runs on Lifetime and Hallmark every single day.

There is absolutely no shortage of "good family values" on TV.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
"Father Knows Best" was more my reality than drug use and murder programs we have today.

Also, what's so wrong with turning on TV and watching an uplifting show instead of murder, cheating, lying and death?
There is nothing wrong with wanting to escape from the realities of the world, since, let's face it, what you have described is pretty much the real world and has been since time immemorial.

As I noted in another post, there are many, many, many alternatives available to escape to whatever fantasy you choose. The Hallmark Channel is running holiday movies all day every Saturday and Sunday from now until the end of the year. Everyone lives happily ever after. Always.

This series is quite heart-warming, although, I do have warn you. people do die, well, because people do.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/thelovesaga

And the rest:

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/

Old 11-21-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Good point. Both shows are entertaining so lets enjoy them for what they are/were. Little House on the Prairie was probably not exactly true either even if they were based on a true story but I would rather have kids watch it for entertainment than a druggie/ prostitute show.
Did you miss the episodes where Albert became a drug addict?

Old 11-21-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
What we need now is a return to Bewitched, so we could twitch or noses and have all these jobs returned to our shores, and all our issues could be solved without any compromise or effort.

Now THAT was a reality-based show for you. LOL
One of my personal favorites!!

That and "My Favorite Martian."

Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Sure as long as you were a white male, you can do and be anything that you wanted to be
Even run off to Canada or France or escape the draft.

Funny how many people forget the "blow-back" of the 60s that was a direct response to the stultifying mores illustrated in "Father Knows Best" and other shows like it.

And they elected Reagan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies