Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
It really worries me that some people are so utterly stupid that they think the 60's and past were better for Black people as a whole...
When you say 60s and past, I'm thinking you mean 60s and before. If I had my choice between now and the 1960s, I would pick now.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:48 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Penn and teller I love these guys :

Penn & Teller: Bull****! - Good Ol' Days - YouTube

Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When you say 60s and past, I'm thinking you mean 60s and before. If I had my choice between now and the 1960s, I would pick now.
You are correct, anything before the late 60's were hell for Black people..

Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Ditto, as well as the 50s. Firehoses are not meant to be used on humans. I do not want segregated lunch counters, or threats made against utilizing ones right to vote, under any circumstances. I do not want air raids and missiles under real threat of use.

TV portrayed an era that never was, but most of us knew it was pure fiction.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
You are correct, anything before the late 60's were hell for Black people..
Judging from your location, you live in the Detroit area. I thought about some of the events that transpired in Detroit during WWII. On one hand, alot of Blacks went up there to get jobs, and found jobs. On the other hand, race relations were very poor.There was a riot in Detroit in WWII. Blacks were limited in where they could live in Detroit. Alot of racial discrimination and police brutality continued into the 1960s, and then everything collided and another riot occurred. I bring this up because I thought about the times before the 1960s.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Ditto, as well as the 50s. Firehoses are not meant to be used on humans. I do not want segregated lunch counters, or threats made against utilizing ones right to vote, under any circumstances. I do not want air raids and missiles under real threat of use.

TV portrayed an era that never was, but most of us knew it was pure fiction.
I think the thing about the 50s is this. People want a time where they feel like they would have been on top. People look to the 50s as those glory days. When you examine that decade, one realizes that the TV shows were exactly that, TV shows. TV doesn't always show reality. On Leave It To Beaver, Ward Cleaver was a civil engineer(briefcase and all), June Cleaver stayed home, and all Theodore(Beaver) and Wally had to worry about was doing "dumb" things like breaking a window or smoking dad's pipe. My father was born in the 50s, in the inner city. Both of his parents worked. His father worked in a foundry doing hard, manual labor, and died on the job. His parents owned their own home thankfully. However, there were gangs in the neighborhood. I don't know if he would have been welcomed where Ward and June lived, in the 50s anyway.

I think 1950s TV sort of represented an idealistic view of what some people wanted.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,605 times
Quote:
Judging from your location, you live in the Detroit area. I thought about some of the events that transpired in Detroit during WWII. On one hand, alot of Blacks went up there to get jobs, and found jobs. On the other hand, race relations were very poor.There was a riot in Detroit in WWII. Blacks were limited in where they could live in Detroit. Alot of racial discrimination and police brutality continued into the 1960s, and then everything collided and another riot occurred. I bring this up because I thought about the times before the 1960s.
The Detroit Police Department recruited from the Southern KKK during the 20's through the 40's because they had experience dealing with "Negros".

We had an off shoot of the KKK that even scared the KKK.

Black Legion (political movement)
The Black Legion was an organization that splintered from the Ku Klux Klan and operated in the United States in the 1930s. The organization was founded by William Shepard in east central Ohio.[1] The group's total membership, estimated between 20,000 and 30,000, was centered in Detroit, Michigan, though the Legion was also highly active in Ohio and one of its self-described leaders, Virgil "Bert" Effinger, lived and worked in Lima, Ohio.

The gang that killed Poole was part of the Black Legion, and the triggerman was Dayton Dean, an employee of the Detroit Public Lighting Department and, by all accounts, a man who simply lived for violence. As such, Dean fit the profile of the Black Legion, whose propensity for violence, as one contemporary observed, made the Ku Klux Klan look like a cream puff.

The murder that brought down the Black Legion

From The Detroit News: detnews.com | Michigan History

Old 11-24-2012, 04:49 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
it was a time when the American Dream was still achievable and people could be anything they wanted to.
It was also a time when many actions were decided based on "What would the neighbors think?" Conformity was considered important. I suspect most today would consider that type of environment very stifling.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:54 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
it was a time when the American Dream was still achievable and people could be anything they wanted to.
The 1950s was also a time when many actions were decided based on "What would the neighbors think?" Conformity was considered important. I suspect most today would consider that type of environment very stifling.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
The Detroit Police Department recruited from the Southern KKK during the 20's through the 40's because they had experience dealing with "Negros".

We had an off shoot of the KKK that even scared the KKK.

Black Legion (political movement)
The Black Legion was an organization that splintered from the Ku Klux Klan and operated in the United States in the 1930s. The organization was founded by William Shepard in east central Ohio.[1] The group's total membership, estimated between 20,000 and 30,000, was centered in Detroit, Michigan, though the Legion was also highly active in Ohio and one of its self-described leaders, Virgil "Bert" Effinger, lived and worked in Lima, Ohio.

The gang that killed Poole was part of the Black Legion, and the triggerman was Dayton Dean, an employee of the Detroit Public Lighting Department and, by all accounts, a man who simply lived for violence. As such, Dean fit the profile of the Black Legion, whose propensity for violence, as one contemporary observed, made the Ku Klux Klan look like a cream puff.

The murder that brought down the Black Legion

Malcolm X's family was terrorized by this group. They are indeed scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies