Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 01:47 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Internet access is not a basic human right.
What makes you an expert on basic human rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Quote:
Why not take it to the extreme then? Why don't you move to Somalia? There you 100% depend on yourself to make it. By your criteria, that's what makes a country great...

See I have the opposite opinion. What makes a country great is a sense of affiliation, mutual support and collectivsim where we act in the community's best interests-- not just our own. What you wrote, just sounds selfish.

Oooh, you said collectivism!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM

The OP doesn't seem to believe in private property.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
We also have a right to defend ourselves, where's my free gun?!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Lack of food or lack of access to medical care are reasonable reasons for someone to die in your opinion? Or the inability to pay for the same?
There is no lack of food or medical care in America.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
If you believe that life is a 'right', isn't it logical that what sustains life must also be a right?

I didn't say that people have the right to lobster thermodore and duck a' la ronge. I simply said 'food'. Mr. Romney does not believe food to be a right. I disagree.
Who do they have a right to take it from?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
The OP doesn't seem to believe in private property.
Define private property.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hey..it's right there in the Constitution..under "General (social) welfare"
Everyone is entitled to any rights we currently have and any new ones we define tomorrow.
If they can't afford it then we'll set up a government program to give it to them for FREE.
You know that "General Welfare" does not in any way mean what welfare has come to mean today, right?

"General welfare" is clearly defined in Article 1, Section 8

Section. 8. The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;
To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;
To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;
To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;
To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;
To establish Post Offices and post Roads;
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;
To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;
To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;
To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;
To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;
To provide and maintain a Navy;
To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;
To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;
To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;
To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And
To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Define private property.
Things that you own and have a right to dispose including your labor.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Rand Paul, who is an MD, pointed out that if health care is a "right," then doctors effectively become slaves.
Rand Paul: 'Right to health care' is slavery - Kate Nocera - POLITICO.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by politico
With regard to the idea whether or not you have a right to health care you have to realize what that implies. I am a physician. You have a right to come to my house and conscript me. It means you believe in slavery. You are going to enslave not only me but the janitor at my hospital, the person who cleans my office, the assistants, the nurses. … You are basically saying you believe in slavery,” said Paul (R-Ky.), who is an ophthalmologist.
The flip side of the "right" to health care is that doctors, nurses, etc. are forced to offer their labor according to the strictures of ObamaCare. If they don't like it they can leave the plantation, but at a cost of being unable to use all their years of training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies