Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Why not take it to the extreme then? Why don't you move to Somalia? There you 100% depend on yourself to make it. By your criteria, that's what makes a country great...

See I have the opposite opinion. What makes a country great is a sense of affiliation, mutual support and collectivsim where we act in the community's best interests-- not just our own. What you wrote, just sounds selfish.
and in my opinion what you wrote sounds selfish. when we start down the road of giving money to people who just sit around and do nothing, even though they are quite capable of working, then we create a dependent class of people. and as more people realize that the government is essentially giving away money, the dependent class grows, and that is unsustainable. its one thing to support those who have real needs, and are truly unable to work for various reasons, it is another to try and support the growing dependent class.

and think about it, if you went out and built a business, made yourself successful, you can then grow your business, and put people to work, and continue to grow that business, and put more people to work. eventually you will retire from that business, and perhaps sell it to the employees, who by that time might want to run their own business, and be successful, and grow it larger, and put more people to work to keep growing the business.

i know my view point sounds selfish, but the reality is its not. as the saying goes, if you give a man a fish, he has had a meal, if you teach a man to fish, he can feed himself for life. having the government give away tons of money sounds like the generous thing to do, but what happens with the money runs out? if we keep going down the road we are on now, will we end up like greece where we have to cut the budget and raise taxes in order to keep the country going, and we will have riots in the streets because the dependent class isnt going to want to give up their free stuff that they never earned. and in the end it hurts EVERYBODY, not just a dependent few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and in my opinion what you wrote sounds selfish. when we start down the road of giving money to people who just sit around and do nothing, even though they are quite capable of working, then we create a dependent class of people. and as more people realize that the government is essentially giving away money, the dependent class grows, and that is unsustainable. its one thing to support those who have real needs, and are truly unable to work for various reasons, it is another to try and support the growing dependent class.
Ah yes-- the big lie of the right wing-- The one the tell themselves to make repulsive, selfish views and actions seem ok: If someone needs help-- they are just sitting around doing nothing. Everyone who needs help is "capable of working." Is it better that 9 wheelchair bound seniors and 3 kids don't get food assistance just so one undeserving ner' do well doesn't get it either? Absurd.

To call someone else selfish when you won't even acknowledge that people have a right to food and healthcare is the height of hypocrisy.

Quote:
and think about it, if you went out and built a business, made yourself successful, you can then grow your business, and put people to work, and continue to grow that business, and put more people to work.
I have, but sadly not everyone is blessed with my health, skillset, or parents who made me get an education so I could become self-sufficient. My business feeds or helps feed 7 families-- in addition to providing a valuable service needed in today's economy.

And somehow I still believe just by virtue of being human people have a right to food and healthcare. Why would owning a business be anti-thetical to thinking others have the right to eat?

Quote:
i know my view point sounds selfish
You should swell on that. Giving a man a fish and teaching him to fish are not mutually exclusive activities.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
You can't split one from the other.

If we agree access to food and healthcare is a right, the way we deliver those services to those who can't pay for it is through government-- to which we all pay in to.
That's ridiculous. I have a right to read a newspaper, but that doesn't obligate anyone, individually, collectively or via government, to provided newspapers to me.

This is way to basic of stuff to be so out of touch with. Please try harder.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
The illegals don't have access to all the government programs. Not all of them have anchor babies.
Yet they seem to be making out because I don't read about all the starved to death dead Mexicans on the side of the road.
And that's exactly what the left always says..take away the food stamps and they'll starve to death on the side of the road.

We are not giving them a helping hand anymore; we are subsidizing a lifestyle for them and adding more "rights" as time goes on. Now it's smart phones and internet access. At what point do you say enough is enough ?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
That's ridiculous. I have a right to read a newspaper, but that doesn't obligate anyone, individually, collectively or via government, to provided newspapers to me.
Huh? Your response is nonsensical.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
The Constitution does not guarantee breathable air, or water that is potable. Why are these provided (and in some places by the Federal Government) or at the very least protected so they remain life sustaining?
I would suggest that the EPA is an unnecessary department, as well. The states have the responsibility to protect their people. If you don't like how your state does that, move to another state that does suit your tastes. The Founding Fathers considered each state to be it's own country. They didn't think the Federal Government should have a lot of power.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I would suggest that the EPA is an unnecessary department, as well.
Yes, I'm sure large companies would protect our environment and keep the planet livable without any oversight at all.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The illegals don't have access to all the government programs. Not all of them have anchor babies.
Yet they seem to be making out because I don't read about all the starved to death dead Mexicans on the side of the road.
And that's exactly what the left always says..take away the food stamps and they'll starve to death on the side of the road.

We are not giving them a helping hand anymore; we are subsidizing a lifestyle for them and adding more "rights" as time goes on. Now it's smart phones and internet access. At what point do you say enough is enough ?
I don't see anyone arguing that smart phone and internet access are a right. Neither is service from a fire department or police force...

This has nothing to do with anchor babies, or illegals.

These are human rights-- and they should be (in theory) granted to everyone regardless of locale.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Huh? Your response is nonsensical.
No, it is your position that is nonsensical. I am just using a different right, to consume printed material, the product of the press. You have a right to do so, or run a newspaper, absolute fundamental right. That does not, and should not infer, that somebody owes you a newspaper, or a printing press.

Are you really have such intellectual difficulty, or playing "dumb"?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Why are Americans so special?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies