Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times

Advertisements

I agree that what she did was offensive and in poor taste.

But if this speech is fair game for losing one's job, then so is the speech described in here:

Have You Ever Reported A Co-Worker For Being Politically Incorrect?

One standard, people.... not two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Lose her job? Maybe if it's one that absolutely requires discretion, brains and sensitivity to people you may not like.

Other than that, no she should not lose her job if she was on her own time.

Some people can't help but being totally crude, insensitive a**holes and they need to make a living too.
She was on a company field trip, she most likely will be fired and should be.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
she is what? a butt wiper at a nursing home and ya'll want her fired for being stupid and disrespectful? come on folks the girl IS stupid but the control freaks are taking this way way past the point of common sense.. a fb page to get her fired is just out there ... .. and the comment made that her job and such should be made public just smacks of a "china village" mentality..
.. I agree the picture is rude but yanno none of us were there .. maybe it wasnt she flew that "bird" at the tomb but at some one else ?.. sure she did post it but really that just shows her lack of smarts and under education.. the over reaction of folks is what I find really appaling ..
Do you know the difference between an assisted living facility and a nursing home?? She worked at an assisted living facility - where people range in age from their late teens upwards, and not everyone needs their butt wiped. Did it occur to you that many of these people may no longer want her assisting them as they may not see it the way you do? Makes it hard to do your job when people won't let you.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,026 times
As outrageous as it looks, she explains in the apology that she was trying to take a contradictory picture...it said be quiet and respectful so she posed being the opposite, a self admittedly poor taste in humor in her words.

As much as I find it terribly disrespectful, I think we have to be careful not criminalize her, not because we agree with her, but because all of us who are angered by the image respect the soldiers who fight for FREEDOM. And that freedom as Americans allows us to be individuals and free speech. Yes, it does appear that she is biting the hand that feeds her freedom of speech.

However, if we demand she is fired or criminalized or ostracized we set a slippery precedent. Where would the line be drawn as to what is offensive enough to be criminalized or fired, and who would make those determinations? Living in a free nation is magnificent, and we have to respect all aspects of it in order to enjoy the freedoms, even when some of them are in fact, truly offensive.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
A lady of no consequense takes a goofy picture trying to be funny and I'm supposed to care, be outraged? I think the people who are outraged, care (many of the normally anti-PC people on this thread) are the ones that need to get lives.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Do you know the difference between an assisted living facility and a nursing home?? She worked at an assisted living facility - where people range in age from their late teens upwards, and not everyone needs their butt wiped. Did it occur to you that many of these people may no longer want her assisting them as they may not see it the way you do? Makes it hard to do your job when people won't let you.
Sure I do .. but 98% of them would not even relize she was so disrespectful unless some one made the point to tell them about it.. and of course I am sure that some self appointed stink stirrer did just that ..

Tell me where were most of you when the WBC protested some soldiers burial? other than to cluck your tongue and say how awfull they were .. but they have freedom of speech to hold up the signs to say God hates soldiers ... its the same thing here folks the over reaction to this girls right to have freedom of speech is excatly the same .. ugly tho it is she only makes herself look a fool and stupid .. but you sure wanna stone a foolish girl for something on FB that really isnt worthy of merit by anyone ?.. sometimes the over reaction to stuff like this and the shrug of shoulders at the hate by folks at the WBC leaves me perplexed ..

Old 11-21-2012, 09:04 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
As outrageous as it looks, she explains in the apology that she was trying to take a contradictory picture...it said be quiet and respectful so she posed being the opposite, a self admittedly poor taste in humor in her words.

As much as I find it terribly disrespectful, I think we have to be careful not criminalize her, not because we agree with her, but because all of us who are angered by the image respect the soldiers who fight for FREEDOM. And that freedom as Americans allows us to be individuals and free speech. Yes, it does appear that she is biting the hand that feeds her freedom of speech.

However, if we demand she is fired or criminalized or ostracized we set a slippery precedent. Where would the line be drawn as to what is offensive enough to be criminalized or fired, and who would make those determinations? Living in a free nation is magnificent, and we have to respect all aspects of it in order to enjoy the freedoms, even when some of them are in fact, truly offensive.

I fully support freedom of speech. I have served in the military. You are free to say what you want and I certainly would not take that away from anyone, but you make have to suffer the consequences for what you say. This was totally disrespectful and stupid. Now it is time to pay the Piper.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I fully support freedom of speech. I have served in the military. You are free to say what you want and I certainly would not take that away from anyone, but you make have to suffer the consequences for what you say. This was totally disrespectful and stupid. Now it is time to pay the Piper.
You obviously don't if you think there should be consequences for exercising it.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
You obviously don't if you think there should be consequences for exercising it.

What do you mean? I support free speech. If you yell fire in a crowded theater you will get in serious trouble. You can say it but you are going to be in trouble for saying it.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
And now a FB site has been created with the one and only purpose to get this woman fired because of the picture.
This is one of the things that most irks me about Americans. Anything somebody does that seems offensive to people, they want to go after the person's JOB. Marital infidelity- JOB. Flipping the bird- JOB. Dang, can people apply job-related activities to decisions to hire/fire and leave the personal garbage out of hire/fire decisions?

I mean I can understand if you are a spokesperson for Nike, for example, and you get doing something offensive and that company believes its BRAND to be in jeopardy. But Americans see and hear people doing things that are in all kinds of other jobs, and, even for personal behavior that happens outside the workplace, they want to see the person fired. Gripe all you want about what the person did, slam and badmouth them all you want, but DANG, if it doesn't have anything to do with their job, how about let's leave their JOB out of it! Americans always wanting somebody to be fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies