Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 04:18 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
bullcrap!! common sense regulations can be put in place. the problem is that both sides of the isle have knee jerk reactions to issues, and start pushing a regulation that would prevent a particular problem from ever happening again, in theory.
Or just use the laws in place and sue the companies that pollute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
You know exactly what I meant with my example. If we lower taxes its not going to result in job creation, just more money in your pocket, and if businesses want to do that, go knock yourself out, but spare me on the lower taxes leads to job creation BS.
When Clinton lowered the investment tax, that helped the economy. Quit loving others peoples money so much.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Like I said, common sense is not that common. Color me surprised that businesses want regulations that are designed to protect them, as in... regulate people, deregulate business.
Look closer. The businesses who do want regulations are the ones involved and writing them in their favor and to the determent of competition. Don't let the foxes watch the hen house.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:28 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Default Typical response from a union lackey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Corporate executives see significant increases in their salaries and stock options while non-executives employees are made to feel "You should be happy you have a job AT ALL!"

The basic premise of Trickle Down economics is "I Got Mine, If You Can't Get Yours Then F**k You".

That's all that really needs to be said.
That's how you SEIU types see the world, and that is the attitude that keeps you where you will always be. You will never be self motivated and always dependent on someone else to do your bidding (union bosses) and therefore always a "subject," never experiencing true freedom to determine your own destiny.

Whatever the union bosses say, that's what you will do, and whatever they tell you is truth, you will believe.

What a sad way to travel through life.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
A slave who is thirsty whose master has decided shall not have fresh water has nothing to do with the quality of fresh water. Buying power is a necessary element in "market demand".
Competition solves that easy enough. The worker can go to the other company. If there is money to be made in a business others will join in that type of business and competition reduces cost and improves efficiency. Win, win.
If the product is of low quality or over priced people won't purchase it, UNLESS there is not a competitive good available.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I get your point. But, our government gives these same corporations tax breaks to remain profitable in the USA. That was my point in my original post.
Obviously the tax break wasn't enough if that company went elsewhere. Why would any company or any person looking to make a profit, settle for making $5 when they can make $6?

Old 11-22-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Complete BS, the entire scenerio!!!! Read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" and you will get a glimpse of what the real results of laissez faire economics are.

Your scenerio makes a lot of very nieve suppositions. The employer actually gives a rats azz about paying a livable wage to his workers??? "The owner hires people on an aggreed upon wage" LOL, agreed to by who? The workers desperate for a job will work for anything at all.
The only BS is coming from your post. Read about the mini depression in the early 1920's which lasted less than TWO years. Taxes AND government spending were reduced by 40 percent over two years time. Unemployment went from 12 to under 4 in TWO years. Those are the real results of laissez faire economics based on real life and not some book.
If you want wages to rise you level the field and allow competition. Removing crony capitalism accomplishes this. But the big government backers who love government to run their lives and the economy fail to see this. Is it any wonder their policies are complete and utter failures?

Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And how grand was your petty little life while stagflation, the newest economic term, was at the hands of liberal planners?

Yeah, I didn't think so. Your life sucked when your savings, your earnings and your wages were severely eroded month after month and no you're bitching because a philosophy that help you ignore reality temporarily is fading away. You see trickle down doesn't have anything to do with completely indenting yourself to the hilt and then complaining because instead of spending that credit on something that will make your wealth grow in the future you spent it on Gucci, Armani, Prada, ,Mercedes, BMW and McMansions galore.

At what point do you stop pointing finger at your own failings as a human being on planet Earth in the real of reality?
When one doesn't look for truth one cannot expect to find it. When people take off the blinders and admit to what is happening around them AND take personal responsibility for backing those failures then things will change.
It's never about who is leading, it's always about policy.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:43 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Complete BS, the entire scenerio!!!! Read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" and you will get a glimpse of what the real results of laissez faire economics are.

Your scenerio makes a lot of very nieve suppositions. The employer actually gives a rats azz about paying a livable wage to his workers??? "The owner hires people on an aggreed upon wage" LOL, agreed to by who? The workers desperate for a job will work for anything at all.
It was an example in the micro.

Labor is plentiful today. That drives wages down organically.

It is not an employers responsibility to pay a wage based on ones need. If things worked that way, unions could not exist, due to the fact that every single one of us has a different "need".

It is up to us, as individuals, to live within our means. If you have Yugo skills, you shouldn't buy a Jaguar.

As far as the "big, bad business" owner taking advantage of the lowly worker, it's BS. My son is 26. His first job was at 13 years old. He was paid higher than minimum wage. In fact, he has never earned minimum wage.

As far as an agreed upon wage, did you apply to work for the person that you work for, or did they pick you up off he streets and force you to work there?

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me."

Corinthians 1 13:11

Lefties reason like children.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:46 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Can someone cite a relatively recent (meaning relevant) example of large-scale trickle down economics working for an entire country?
America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies