Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times

Advertisements

I have heard Republicans argue this point over and over, but I never fully understood how saving taxes on the rich wage earners and on rich corporations eventually would trickle down to us middle and working class workers. If someone can explain to me, I'm ready to start the dialogue about this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
edit

Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I have heard Republicans argue this point over and over, but I never fully understood how saving taxes for the rich and on rich corporations eventually would trickle down to us middle and working class workers. IF someone can explain to me, I ready to start the dialogue about this topic.
Corporate executives see significant increases in their salaries and stock options while non-executives employees are made to feel "You should be happy you have a job AT ALL!"

The basic premise of Trickle Down economics is "I Got Mine, If You Can't Get Yours Then F**k You".

That's all that really needs to be said.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
The premise is that the more money the wealthy have in their pockets, the more they'll invest in companies who will hire more people, start their own businesses, etc. This actually may have had some validity before the economy became so globalized.

If the businesses that are being invested in are in China and India, I fail to see how this is sound economic policy for the United States.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 AM

del

Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I have heard Republicans argue this point over and over, but I never fully understood how saving taxes on the rich wage earners and on rich corporations eventually would trickle down to us middle and working class workers. If someone can explain to me, I'm ready to start the dialogue about this topic.
The theory is that cutting taxes will allow business owners to keep more of their profits after taxes to invest in infrastructure, buy more equipment, open another store etc. The reality is, they never do this. They give themselves higher salaries, bigger pay to executives, and more dividend payments to stockholders. its a talking point that they keep promoting and for some reason democrats have never been to sell to the public that its a load of crap.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Corporate executives see significant increases in their salaries and stock options while non-executives employees are made to feel "You should be happy you have a job AT ALL!"

The basic premise of Trickle Down economics is "I Got Mine, If You Can't Get Yours Then F**k You".

Absolutely true. Large corporations are paying less taxes than ever - and it certainly hasn't trickled down to the middle class.

IF trickle down worked - we should all be rich at this point.

It doesn't work.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
This is how. No wonder, many want it like their life depended on it. But, here is a more progressive take on the subject...

"The money was all appropriated for the top in the hopes that it would trickle down to the needy. Mr. Hoover didn’t know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellow’s hands."
- Will Rogers, 1932

Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

That's what I was thinking too. It seems to me, when we give more tax breaks to coroporations, they take the money and run to other countries where they can make even larger profits. In other words, we're paying them to invest their tax savings some where else.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
The theory is that cutting taxes will allow business owners to keep more of their profits after taxes to invest in infrastructure, buy more equipment, open another store etc. The reality is, they never do this. They give themselves higher salaries, bigger pay to executives, and more dividend payments to stockholders. its a talking point that they keep promoting and for some reason democrats have never been to sell to the public that its a load of crap.
If that were true all businesses would shut down from lack of production and reinvestment.

Production is what generates more income for the "greedy" executives. Why would they want that to stop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies