Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 04:27 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The $8 or $10 an hour Wal-Mart pays is going to mean different things in different areas as far as "living wage" goes. In MD it doesn't go far. In rural Northwest PA where I grew up $10/hr is top rate for many jobs. I was back for my 40th HS reunion a couple months ago and many of my friends who remained there talked about being up for jobs that pay $8/hr and were happy just to be in the running for them.
I too know people working as sales associates at Walmart (like my ex-boyfriend), in rural Indiana and Kentucky, where it is cheap. But in no way is it a living wage. It just isn't. Not after payroll taxes etc are taken out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 04:35 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

"Fat cats" are fleecing everyone. Wall Street brought on the current recession.

Indeed, Wall Street is at the heart of the disease in this country.

They produce nothing, but take everything from the producers of this country who are the owners and workers.

When there is nothing to fleece, they create Ponzi schemes and bubbles like the College Loan Scam, Housing Mortgage scam, Health Care Insurance Scam that they lobby for.

Then when it blows it up, they point the finger at their fellow cronies in the Government, who then point the finger at the average American, as if they average Poor American has any say in these creations.

Funny thing. Obama was bought and paid for by Wall Street in 2008 as was Romney this time around, but you want see certain people complaining about these parasites.

That's something they are willing to overlook since their investment schemes are all they have to go on. Morals be damned.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:48 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
On the contrary the sales people of Walmart MADE the company --- even Sam Walton said that many times. Without the sales associates there would be no Walmart. Without the current-day Waltons there would still be a Walmart -- none of them work there.
You mean the people who stand there and ring your items through a checkout or the people who point to an isle or the people who stock the shelves? They didn't make the company. They are there because they need jobs and can readily be replaced by almost anyone.

The people who do the number crunching, the buyers, the engineers that design their facilities and the CEOs and owners are the people who provided efficient and cost effective alternatives that brought that company to where it is.

Sam Walton had to compete with other big stores but he understood that other big box type stores couldn't compete if he always had the more affordable product.

Maybe you should actually do some research into how Wal*mart grew into what it did today and specifically look at it's very founding and Sam Walton himself.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:55 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
I don't shop on Black Friday anyway, but neither do I shop at WM at all. Nor Target or Kmart etc. I try to shop as much ad I can in locally owned businesses instead of conglomerate chains. This is getting to difficult to do thanks to the idiots who give business to the corporate chains, who then drive the local guys out. They are a pariah on this land, an example of capitalistic greed run amok.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:56 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You mean the people who stand there and ring your items through a checkout or the people who point to an isle or the people who stock the shelves? They didn't make the company. They are there because they need jobs and can readily be replaced by almost anyone.

The people who do the number crunching, the buyers, the engineers that design their facilities and the CEOs and owners are the people who provided efficient and cost effective alternatives that brought that company to where it is.

Sam Walton had to compete with other big stores but he understood that other big box type stores couldn't compete if he always had the more affordable product.

Maybe you should actually do some research into how Wal*mart grew into what it did today and specifically look at it's very founding and Sam Walton himself.
That's all true. Black Friday is a moot point here in Pnoenix. It starts at 6.00 PM tonight (in about an hr.)
Neat marketing trick, huh ?

Old 11-22-2012, 04:59 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Sam was a man to be admired.
He was the conventional definition of what made America great.
Starting a business from the ground up and dedicated to serving Americans with American products.

What we have today is a bunch of Anti American traitors in the government and their cronies in the Multi National Corporations and Wall Street Banks whose only purpose is to serve themselves and not the best interests of the country, by not building and creating, but by destroying and harvesting companies by either loading them up with debt so they fail, or are already close to failing thanks to the same Foreign Trade Policies by the same people that got us here.

So how is it working out America where Big Money is allowed to own our government?
In my younger days, mid 20's or so, I had quite a few "christian" friends, who during our meetings at dinner would discuss world problems, this was in the 70's, and almost every one of these people I'd associate with would say, money is the root of all evil.

While I never subscribed to some of their views, they had a point about money being what is is. It can be evil to an extent. There are other evils out there though.

If all of the money was taken away from Washington DC, there wouldn't be any representatives.

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 11-22-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 05:01 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Quote:
I too know people working as sales associates at Walmart (like my ex-boyfriend), in rural Indiana and Kentucky, where it is cheap. But in no way is it a living wage. It just isn't. Not after payroll taxes etc are taken out.
But those paychecks will somehow grow when union dues are taken out too???

Old 11-22-2012, 05:23 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Well said.
There is an irony in what you say.

While the Government Liberals have their own worshipers of wealth, no matter how it is obtained as well, it seems the Christian Right in this country tops them in magnitudes on worshiping the wealthy, no matter how it is obtained.

I am placing emphasis on how it is obtained because wealthy people are not evil.
People that engage in immoral, unethical and fraudulent practices at the expense to their fellow man to gain wealth are the scum of the earth.
Just as we have a defensive military against corrupt people and nations, we also need defensive measures to protect us from these sorts of people.
Sadly, it is these very people running this country, so everything they do is "legal"

Having a Christian upbringing, it astounds me on the reversal in this country from my childhood.
The message I was brought up with was those of morality, meekness, and being humble would inherit the kingdom of God. Then that all changed with the "prosperity gospels" and taking what you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
In my younger days, mid 20's or so, I had quite a few "christian" friends, who during our meetings at dinner would discuss world problems, this was in the 70's, and almost every one of these people I'd associate with would say, money is the root of all evil.

While I never subscribed to some of their views, they had a point about money being what is is. It can be evil to an extent. There are other evils out there though.

If all of the money was taken away from Washington DC, there wouldn't be any representatives.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post

Just to clarify a point you made in your post. Nowhere does the bible teach that money is evil or that great riches are evil. The bible is very clear on the matter and the quote you used is missing one very important word.

The LOVE of money is the root of all maner of evils.
There is a world of difference between these two thoughts.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:55 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
OK, many Walmart employees have to rely on public assistance just to survive, so taxpayers are in effect subsidizing the Walmart fortune ---- and you think I have an issue with the Waltons? My question is: why don't you have an issue with them?

The current set of Walton heirs did nothing to grow the business and contribute nothing now other than acting as figureheads on the board. Why would anyone admire them? They're wealthy. Period. Big flippin' deal. They pay their employees starvation wages (literally, given the number of employees on food stamps), don't provide healthcare insurance, and now want their employees to work on a family holiday? Again---what's so great about the Waltons that anyone should admire them?
I don't know anyone who admires them. In fact, nobody I know personally ever talks about the Walton family, or the Kennedys, the Spielbergs..........

The rich people that we don't know are just not on the radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies