Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:37 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Artisan4; Fight Plutocracy-Boycott Walmart on Black Friday
"Plutocracy"? Lame. Seriously lame.

How about "Comrades, join the people's revolution in the fight against the the capitalist running dogs and their Wall Street puppetmasters and henchmen of the Zionist banking cartels as we fight against the counter-revolutionary forces"

That, my friend Artisan4, will get you laid in any progressive circle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
In most cases if you "CHOOSE" to work at Wal-Mart you have extremely limited employment options.

They know it and they know it and they leverage it against their employees with oppressive employment policy.
1) What is stopping them from going to school so they can get a better job?

2) Workers have more leverage in a more robust economy where jobs are plentiful.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:51 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
My hubby won't shop anywhere but Walmart. They have the cheapest prices, he also says their fruit lasts longer. It is true when we go other places their prices are higher. We won't buy our meat there though.

If Walmart had unionized, their prices would have gone up and up through the years and now would be on the verge of bankruptcy and the government would give them a bail out just like GM because they would be "too big to fail."

Hey, go to Target of you don't want to work there. It's still a free country until the government or unions take over.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:58 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Well... I've never gotten up early to go shopping at the crack of dawn on Black Friday and have to deal with the melee just to save a few bucks! And I never will either! In fact, I'll be going to work Friday morning as I've done for the past several years.

So I guess in a way, I'm boycotting.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
'Walmart earned $16 billion last year (it just reported a 9 percent increase in earnings in the third quarter of 2012, to $3.6 billion), the lion's share of which went instead to Walmart's shareholders -- including the family of its founder, Sam Walton, who earned on their Walmart stock more than the combined earnings of the bottom 40 percent of American workers.

Is this about to change? Despite decades of failed unionization attempts, Walmart workers are planning to strike or conduct some other form of protest outside at least 1,000 locations across the United States this Friday -- so-called "Black Friday," the biggest shopping day in America when the Christmas holiday buying season begins.

At the very least, the action gives Walmart employees a chance to air their grievances in public -- not only lousy wages (as low at $8 an hour) but also unsafe and unsanitary working conditions, excessive hours, and sexual harassment. The result is bad publicity for the company exactly when it wants the public to think of it as Santa Claus. And the threatened strike, the first in 50 years, is gaining steam.'

Robert Reich: Why You Shouldn't Shop at Walmart on Friday
sexual harrassment, unsantiray working conditions, excessive hours, give examples. I know a few who work for WalMart that complain about not being given enough hours...

$8.00 an hour to start, there are a lot of people that would love to have jobs right now and would be glad to get $8 an hour. Most Walmark workers, making that are not trying to support a family. They are second income, part timers, seniors, etc. Do you have any idea how much the those who work in the WalMart ware houses in places like NM make? Of course you don;t.

Do you have any idea how much the Walton foundation gives to charity each year? Of course you don't.

Sorry, I don't get my information from crappy, slanted publications like HPost. Will I boycott WalMart Friday? No, will I shop there? No, but only cause I don't do the Black Friday thing as a rule,but I am off to Walmart right now to pick up a couple of things..

Will they end up unionized? Don't count on it, unions are dieing, not growing, where have you been the last decade or so?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:03 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I'm not a liberal. Keep on assuming... I very rarely shop online.
Who said I was talking to you?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
More and more companies will go part time for their employees with Obamacare making them give everyone insurance if they employ 50 or more. They have the choice of going bankrupt providing insurance or going part time for employees.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
My hubby won't shop anywhere but Walmart. They have the cheapest prices, he also says their fruit lasts longer. It is true when we go other places their prices are higher. We won't buy our meat there though.

If Walmart had unionized, their prices would have gone up and up through the years and now would be on the verge of bankruptcy and the government would give them a bail out just like GM because they would be "too big to fail."

Hey, go to Target of you don't want to work there. It's still a free country until the government or unions take over.

Still free unfortunately to where these large conglomerates will keep their foot on the throat of the American workers, While selling things that were once made in the great United states of America. They rake in millions and hard working men and women have to struggle while they contribute to society and pay their due. Their fruit lasts longer because of enough preservatives and artificial means to make it survive nuclear war. Fruit is supposed to go bad shortly.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
'Walmart earned $16 billion last year (it just reported a 9 percent increase in earnings in the third quarter of 2012, to $3.6 billion), the lion's share of which went instead to Walmart's shareholders -- including the family of its founder, Sam Walton, who earned on their Walmart stock more than the combined earnings of the bottom 40 percent of American workers.

Is this about to change? Despite decades of failed unionization attempts, Walmart workers are planning to strike or conduct some other form of protest outside at least 1,000 locations across the United States this Friday -- so-called "Black Friday," the biggest shopping day in America when the Christmas holiday buying season begins.

At the very least, the action gives Walmart employees a chance to air their grievances in public -- not only lousy wages (as low at $8 an hour) but also unsafe and unsanitary working conditions, excessive hours, and sexual harassment. The result is bad publicity for the company exactly when it wants the public to think of it as Santa Claus. And the threatened strike, the first in 50 years, is gaining steam.'

Robert Reich: Why You Shouldn't Shop at Walmart on Friday

If the unions have just a little luck, they may be as successful with Walmart as they were with Hostess Brands and Eastern Airlines. How many people does Walmart employ?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:18 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Who said I was talking to you?
It seems those who disagree with you must be liberals, right? Does everything to you come down to liberals v. conservatives. If so, I cannot engage you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies