Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:41 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,945 times

Advertisements

Why bother with foreign aid money to corrupt dysfunctional 3rd World countries?

shouldn't we just help the poor in our own lands first with things like health care, free schooling, tax reductions, higher wages, housing etc.. - or is that just way too liberal and idealistic?

how much should we 'help' our own people before worrying about the poor in other nations?

Should a family in our country go without something so that a family in another country can have it?

views please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 07:43 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Yeah, especially when aid is going to dictators and they onaly give it to their friends and relatives rather than the poor people of their countries.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
I prefer that we burn our money in foreign countries instead of burn it here. That way we can more easily ignore the waste.

[out of sight, out of mind]

Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 PM

should it be stopped and nature be left to have its way, or is that just way too harsh and unpleasant?

is there any real point in helping the poor foreigner anyway?

Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Foreign Aid = greasing palms

It should be eliminated entirely. Right now we flush millions upon millions, if not billions, down the drain when we have so many domestic issues to contend with. Not to mention that the foreign aid is raised upon theft of private assets from American workers.

Ain't our government grand?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 PM

ok, agreed, there is a massive amount of corruption and waste in the aid business.

but how about those countries and people that really need it - what can be done with them?

left to nature, or helped out in some other way?

Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 PM

140 posts, read 109,096 times
This question keeps popping in my mind too.

I do not have a problem helping or giving aide to other countries in need, IF we have it to spare. It's the right thing to do, it's neighborly and a feel good thing.

If we do not have any to spare (Deficit says we don't have it) because our own people are in need (which we are), then we need to regretably say, "We're sorry you're going through this crisis, but we have crisises of our own and money and supplies are tight. We'd be happy to lend you our expertise and help you figure out a solution you can work with."

The US has been to the aide of so many countries over the years, I can't think of a incident where the US said, "No, sorry, can't help you." Have we?

If a country were to ask us today for help with anything we don't have extra of (like money) then we should be able to regretably say, "We don't have it.", without losing face.

Perhaps it's a UN thing. Are we required to render aide whether we have it or not?

Old 11-21-2012, 11:19 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Why bother with foreign aid money to corrupt dysfunctional 3rd World countries?

shouldn't we just help the poor in our own lands first with things like health care, free schooling, tax reductions, higher wages, housing etc.. - or is that just way too liberal and idealistic?

how much should we 'help' our own people before worrying about the poor in other nations?

Should a family in our country go without something so that a family in another country can have it?

views please
I agree.

Romney said he wouldn't stop or condition foreign aid to Pakistan because he doesn't want the government to become too poor to protect their nukes. I think Obama has a similar view on this too. I understand it, but at the same time, I doubt most of that money is actually going toward defending nukes. It's mostly going to the pockets of the dictators in charge. Possibly even funding terrorism. They locked up the doctor that told us about Osama for crying out loud. It's ridiculous.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,085 times
I agree.

Romney said he wouldn't stop or condition foreign aid to Pakistan because he doesn't want the government to become too poor to protect their nukes. I think Obama has a similar view on this too. I understand it, but at the same time, I doubt most of that money is actually going toward defending nukes. It's mostly going to the pockets of the dictators in charge. Possibly even funding terrorism. They locked up the doctor that told us about Osama for crying out loud. It's ridiculous.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
We give out what around 50+ billion a year in foreign aid. That is what I recall probably more now. Well the fed hands the banks 40 billion a month. What should we be outraged over? Oh they also sent 16 trillion to europe to bail em out. US foreign aid budget is a drop in the bucked of the ocean of wealth they are stealing from every US citizen. But lets scream about Israel or Egypt or whoever and the pittance they get compared to Goldman or BOA. That is where they want you to be looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies