Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Like they're all sitting around and "thanking" anything, let alone grateful for the Puritans who they hate, every other day of the year, for stealing the country from the Indians.
We actually talked about that tonight, and gave a sarcastic toast for those who raped & pillaged the land. My people are weird like that, lol... but at least we acknowledge the hypocrisy of it all, and KNOW it's just an excuse to get together for good food & company (which is tough with our respectively busy schedules). I don't even have relatives here in CA, outside of my immediate family, so it's also become a tradition for us "east coast transplants" to celebrate how we've become extended family over the years. And ever since our "patriarch" of this group passed away in 2009, we also come together in his honor and memory.

As for the stores being open today, I guess consumerism will often overtake tradition. As long as they're not a public institution, it's their decision to make - no skin off my back, but you also won't see me buying anything outside of the necessities (i.e. gas & food). When I arrived back in my neighborhood around 1am, the crowd at Wal-Mart & Best Buy was so crazy, they had a guard (cop?) directing traffic out of the parking lot. Insane!!

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-23-2012 at 04:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 04:16 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Who are we giving thanks to?
How about taking a moment to reflect on the things we're thankful for. It's good to take time to reflect on the good things in our lives when we're so focused on the negatives like money or not having things we desire. Simple things like shelter, food, health, and family are things we seem to over look here. These are the needs of many around the world.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
We actually talked about that tonight, and gave a sarcastic toast for those who raped & pillaged the land. My people are weird like that, lol... but at least we acknowledge the hypocrisy of it all, and KNOW it's just an excuse to get together for good food & company (which is tough with our respectively busy schedules). I don't even have relatives here in CA, outside of my immediate family, so it's also become a tradition for us "east coast transplants" to celebrate how we've become extended family over the years. And ever since our "patriarch" of this group passed away in 2009, we also come together in his honor and memory.

As for the stores being open today, I guess consumerism will often overtake tradition. As long as they're not a public institution, it's their decision to make - no skin off my back, but you also won't see me buying anything outside of the necessities (i.e. gas & food). When I arrived back in my neighborhood around 1am, the crowd at Wal-Mart & Best Buy was so crazy, they had a guard (cop?) directing traffic out of the parking lot. Insane!!
One side of my family tree came from France while the other came from Louisiana area tribes. Does this mean I should hate myself for my ancestors taking my ancestors' land? Oh well.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:22 AM

As for the stores, we don't gift shop on Thanksgiving. We also don't gift shop the day after Thanksgiving. Such shopping brings out the worst in humanity. My company was open Thanksgiving and every other holiday. I work for a hospital.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
One side of my family tree came from France while the other came from Louisiana area tribes. Does this mean I should hate myself for my ancestors taking my ancestors' land? Oh well.
Yeah, I guess so!

My "family" includes mostly Slavic Jews, along with a Fijian Jew, black & white Goyem, and a couple of Asians (Vietnamese & Filipino) - so we're just too confused to even bother, plus NONE of our ancestors were anywhere near this land back then. So as I said, it's just an excuse for getting together & gorging on turkey.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-23-2012 at 04:54 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, I guess so!

My "family" includes mostly Slavic Jews, along with a Fijian Jew, black & white Goyem, and a couple of Asians (Vietnamese & Filipino) - so we're just too confused to even bother, plus NONE of our ancestors were anywhere near this land back then. So as I said, it's just an excuse for getting together & gorging on turkey.
My ancestors were sent to what is now Nova Scotia. They got kicked back and forth between the English and the French several times before the English kicked them out. When they arrived in New Orleans, there was already an established French colonial city. My ancestors being farmers, hunters, fishermen, and other labor trades; they were looked down upon by their fellow countrymen who were nobles or rich slave owning merchants. They got tired of that and headed west where they settled. The way we were told, we didn't kick the natives off the land. The lines between French and Indian just got blurred through co-mingling to the point that our names were French but our cultural heritage and food had a blend of the cultures of our area.

So your family is part Jewish and part Asian? You must be rich and great with math and electronics! I could only imagine the cross culture jokes or stereotypes you're family endured or made up yourselves.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
My ancestors were sent to what is now Nova Scotia. They got kicked back and forth between the English and the French several times before the English kicked them out. When they arrived in New Orleans, there was already an established French colonial city. My ancestors being farmers, hunters, fishermen, and other labor trades; they were looked down upon by their fellow countrymen who were nobles or rich slave owning merchants. They got tired of that and headed west where they settled. The way we were told, we didn't kick the natives off the land. The lines between French and Indian just got blurred through co-mingling to the point that our names were French but our cultural heritage and food had a blend of the cultures of our area.
That's an interesting story! We don't know much about our ancestors, given that it's tough to trace European-Jewish histories/families... most of of what I know took place post-1900, but we do have a cousin doing some genealogical research now.

Quote:
So your family is part Jewish and part Asian? You must be rich and great with math and electronics! I could only imagine the cross culture jokes or stereotypes you're family endured or made up yourselves.
Oh yes, we make PLENTY of jokes about it! And talk about stereotypes, half of our family is in the legal, financial, or medical fields - and the rest of us work in education, LOL.

Fyi, the Asian "branch" is just now marrying in... so we haven't endured anything in regards to that, plus it's a very common combination (to the point of being cliche) around here.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:08 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
My personal feeling is that they only ruined the Thanksgiving holiday to add one more shopping day which won't add much to overall seasonal sales.
They added sales but will lose sales today on Black Friday. Maybe its just that the retailers are out to screw each other, get their stuff sold and the shoppers money spent at your store first so it won't be spent elsewhere. Next year it will be pre Thanksgiving Day Sales.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Not sure why a nation that prides itself on seperation of church and state celebrates Thanksgiving anyways.
What are you talking about? Thanksgiving isn't isn't a religious holiday...It is the day most of us gives thanks, in our own way, for all those things that have been good in the past year or more.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The industry is a greedy as Mitt Romney. As long as they suck up dollars, they really don't give a **** about the consumer per se.

I refuse to shop this weekend.
and no one is forcing you to shop. I am not a huge lover of Black Friday so I don't either, but if people didn't want the stores to be open and didn't want the sales, Thanksgiving sales and Black Friday wouldn't exist.. it isn't thier greed anymore than the desire of poeple to get something for nothing or close to nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies