Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 AM

269 posts, read 255,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am sure roommates would like equal tretment too if it comes to that.Some would alos like benfits for their pets as they see them as their depednents.
That has nothing to do with what was asked.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:50 AM

269 posts, read 255,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
On another note many companies are limiting spousal benefits due to rising costs.
Right, because now they have to actually treat same-sex couples equally. They had no problem giving heterosexual couples and heterosexual singles benefits. But when homosexuality comes into play, then the "rising costs" argument comes to fore.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:04 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Good for Boeing, but since WA has legalized this abomination a case could be made for this action violating the Equal Prot Clause.

On another note many companies are limiting spousal benefits due to rising costs.
That seems to be what is going on here.

Boeing didn't release a formal statement of intent to discriminate. This "news" was released by a negotiator frm the employee's union, trying to put the ol' squeeze play on the company. And it looks like it is working.

Boeing obviously wants to minimise labor costs, but not at the expense of being on the wrong side of a human rights issue.

Ethics aside, It is hard to imagine that extending spousal benefits to married gays might actually add a lot to Boeing's bottom line. Certainly not enough to justify the resulting s$&t storm.

Boeing has already released a statement backtracking from the position taken by their negotiator. I predict the company will have to retreat on this one.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
1. Nobody is saying they can't get married. There are rules to follow though. We all have the same rules.

2. They tyrants are people like Obama that are walking all over religious freedoms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Specifically?
And still no answer to this mythical trampling of religious freedoms.

Seems nothing more than feigned outrage.

Why am I not surprised?

Old 11-23-2012, 07:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So you think it's okay that straight employees are treated differently (better) than gay employees?
How are they treated differently? Who gave gays the right to determine how marriage will be re-defined away from the one-man-one-woman rule which has been in place since society began? Why can't I be part of the definition team and decide that my PC will now be an equal partner in a 6-way marriage which also includes my espresso machine, my Mercedes, my female wife, and my copy of Windows. What makes their re-definition more valid than mine?

One-man-one-woman is the rule the rest of us go by. No one is asking them to do anything different.

Calling my dog a cat doesn't make him one. Calling your boyfriend your wife doesn't make him one either.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:47 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
How are they treated differently? Who gave gays the right to determine how marriage will be re-defined away from the one-man-one-woman rule which has been in place since society began? Why can't I be part of the definition team and decide that my PC will now be an equal partner in a 6-way marriage which also includes my espresso machine, my Mercedes, my female wife, and my copy of Windows. What makes their re-definition more valid than mine?

One-man-one-woman is the rule the rest of us go by. No one is asking them to do anything different.

Calling my dog a cat doesn't make him one. Calling your boyfriend your wife doesn't make him one either.
Try those 'arguments' in a court of law and see how fast the judge calls the men in white coats....

Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I think this is more about being cheap than discrimination. Boeing was a comparatively progressive company regarding gay employees. I don't think it'll hold. They'll get a lot of heat and change their mind. It's untenable to be anti-gay with high-tech jobs/engineers in Seattle.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Seems like Boeing is trying to be sneaky, saying in negotiations that they won't extend benefits and then when that info goes public, they say that they don't discriminate and are offended at the suggestion - but they can't give a straight answer to whether they denied those benefits or not.

Clearly those Boeing folks are snakes. Putting on one face in negotiations and another in public. Sneaky snakes. People see right through their garbage. I don't know who they think they're fooling.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
I can tell you.... First hand Boeing is one of the most equal rights open to diversity company I have ever seen. To think they are against gay marriage is insane. If anything they are just trying to keep the costs of benefits. Heaped. The union is exploding on this to get the upper hand on negotiating.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-23-2012, 10:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101flyboy View Post
That has nothing to do with what was asked.
Why not. Are boyfriend /girl friend living togather not treated differently. Are not man and wife with no child taxed for benefit of people having chilcren. We have many laws that benefit those who can have children for the childs benefit because the nation belives in it. Man and man or woman and women are no different than girlfrend /boy firend in not having the same rights. Its not rights it's what they nation want to invest in for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies