Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:28 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times

Advertisements

I was listening to talk radio on my way to work this morning when an African-American caller made the point that anyone opposing the confirmation of Susan Rice for SOS was a racist.

This isn't the first time I've heard this, this is the left's usual attack against the GOP, but the caller went on to make the point that every Republican was a worthless racist and he wouldn't even vote for one for dog-catcher.

Listening to the vehemence in the caller's voice it occurred to me that maybe it's time for the GOP to take a page out of the Obama playbook. Since 93% of the black vote went to Obama, and the Obama campaign made the decision to sucessfully abandon the white working class The Future of the Obama Coalition - NYTimes.com it's time for the GOP to do the same thing and give up on the black community.

Since Obama has sucessfully divided this country along racial lines creating rifts that will probably last generations, I suggest the GOP forget the black vote and pursue the Latino vote instead. In my daily interactions with the Latino community I see a hard-working entrepenurial class that is family-friendly and conservative by instinct, but is put off by the GOP's embrace of strict immigration policies, thus easily seduced by any baubles the Democrats dangle in front of them.

That would mean abandoning the Sheriff Joe Arpaio types and alienating a segment of the vote, but IMO it would easily be made up by an influx of Latino votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 11:33 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,256 times
Lol... give up the black vote?... how do you give something up that you never had and/or never made a play for in the first place?

I'm going to give up having sex with supermodels.

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
1) Obama didn't give up on the white working class vote. A big part of their strategy was to have Ohio be a "firewall" state. They thought this was possible because of the auto bailouts and making white working class voters see Romney as a greedy, out of touch "vulture capitalist."

2) The GOP is making no real efforts to attract the black vote and that is probably a mistake. No, they will never win the black vote or probably even get 20% of the black vote, but if they could get 10%-15% that would be huge.

3) I agree with you on the Hispanic vote, but I'm not sure that embracing a pro-amnesty stance is the best way to solve the problem for the GOP. An economic message that appealed more to blue collar whites would help with Hispanics as well. A big part of why Romney lost some states had to due with reduced turnout among blue collar whites who didn't like Obama but who Romney couldn't seal the deal with. It's not about changing policies as much as it's about messaging. Moreover, despite me not necessarily agreeing with the GOP on a lot of social issues and being happy that Romney did not really run on social issues, I also think focusing on social issues could have helped some with both religious working class whites as well as religious Hispanics, though I think it should be more about narrow micro-targeting when it comes to the social issues. JMO, thinking politically.

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Unfair. Are all Republicans prejudiced? No, of course not. Most? Yes, but not all.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Unfair. Are all Republicans prejudiced? No, of course not. Most? Yes, but not all.
Most? WTF?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 AM

272 posts, read 229,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I was listening to talk radio on my way to work this morning when an African-American caller made the point that anyone opposing the confirmation of Susan Rice for SOS was a racist.
How could you tell she was African American?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:41 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Most? WTF?
Absolutely. People act as if the garbage foisted upon this board by right-wingers is something exceptional, that Republicans in general aren't so ignorant and prejudiced. That hasn't been my experience living in mostly red rural areas of the Midwest. I have yet to hear a liberal in my presence crack a racist joke. Every time that has ever occurred and the person has revealed themselves to be political, they are revealed to be right-wing Republicans. Every single time.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 AM

397 posts, read 257,526 times
Quote:

This isn't the first time I've heard this, this is the left's usual attack against the GOP, but the caller went on to make the point that every Republican was a worthless racist and he wouldn't even vote for one for dog-catcher.

Listening to the vehemence in the caller's voice it occurred to me that maybe it's time for the GOP to take a page out of the Obama playbook. Since 93% of the black vote went to Obama, and the Obama campaign made the decision to sucessfully abandon the white working class The Future of the Obama Coalition - NYTimes.com it's time for the GOP to do the same thing and give up on the black community.

Since Obama has sucessfully divided this country along racial lines creating rifts that will probably last generations, I suggest the GOP forget the black vote and pursue the Latino vote instead. In my daily interactions with the Latino community I see a hard-working entrepenurial class that is family-friendly and conservative by instinct, but is put off by the GOP's embrace of strict immigration policies, thus easily seduced by any baubles the Democrats dangle in front of them.

That would mean abandoning the Sheriff Joe Arpaio types and alienating a segment of the vote, but IMO it would easily be made up by an influx of Latino votes.
Republican open hostility toward the Black vote and Blacks in general is clear to us. We are hoping that the more sane GOP wins th internal struggle currently taking place. Republicans who have these negative feelings toward blacks have them because Blacks fought them not to be second class citizens.

Hispanics are more accepted by these types at the moment because the wounds and bitterness of that fight are not related directly to them. Blacks have plenty to work on and we have been and must do more and we will. Hispanics strong family virtues have not been lost on us. We will work to show our young men that being a true Father and leader of your home is the COOLEST thing you can do.

So to the OP go ahead with this plan. It will only push us to destroy the elements of corrosion inside our own community and that is a good thing.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Absolutely. People act as if the garbage foisted upon this board by right-wingers is something exceptional, that Republicans in general aren't so ignorant and prejudiced. That hasn't been my experience living in mostly red rural areas of the Midwest. I have yet to hear a liberal in my presence crack a racist joke. Every time that has ever occurred and the person has revealed themselves to be political, they are revealed to be right-wing Republicans. Every single time.
I'll play devil's advocate and pretend that most or even all of the people who make racist comments/jokes are Republicans (even though that's simply not true). That doesn't mean that most Republicans make racist comments/jokes or are racists.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:

Yet when I suggest the Black vote is a waste of time I'm told that's racist (even though I'm Black). The GOP needs to concentrate on everyone else. If a few more Blacks fall into their lap so be it. Just get the message out and refrain from the racially tinged language.

There is not much the GOP can do to get any meaningful amount of the Black vote short of being the 2nd liberal party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies