Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
"Oh yea...literacy, life expectancy, and standard of living makes it all better, huh? LMAO..."

Well yes, actually it does make things better. Do you have evidence that living conditions for slaves were better in Africa during this era?
After the slaves were freed there were numerous "Back to Africa" campaigns with few takers. I wonder why that was ....

"life was not easy for these early settlers. Disease was rampant, along with the lack of food. Hostile tribes presented the settlers with great struggle, destroying some of their new land settlements. Almost half of the new settlers had died over the first twenty years since their arrival in Liberia."
Look, don't try to apply what happened in the 1500's through the 1800's during the slave trade to 2102. Chill with that.

Just because i own a cellphone today, that doesn't mean that slavery was ok. Where did you dig that dumbsh*t up from?

Secondly, what the hell did any free blacks know about Africa? More stupidity. Most slaves didn't even know the world outside of their plantations for several generations. They couldn't even read and write. So really, "go back to Africa?" For what? Who did they know in Africa?

Now you're just being silly.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am black. Son of miilitary parents. Mom's side of the family lives in S.E Wash. DC. So I spent a lot of time there my whole life - that is the ghetto. Went to public school there in 7th and 8th grade before going to private school in 9th grade. I've been in the fights. You don't know me.
The difference is this. You come from military parents. You're father was there. You're parents had a way to send you to a private school. Alot of kids didn't have as well-disciplined a background as you. What about the kids whose parents can't afford to send them to private school? No one can help where they are born or what kind of family they are born into. However, it is important to help people.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:21 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope. I'm not moving on.

I don't give a damn what you're the product of. Sounds more like you're the product of stupidity to me. Being part black doesn't give your lame ass argument any weight. Bringing up African genocides is lame too and it's not helping your argument either. Miss me with that attempt at equivalence. It ain't working.

Moreover, i don't give a damn about African tribes selling slaves. African tribes are not responsible for the slave trade HERE. I'm an American, and what happened in America is my issue, not what happened in Africa. Whites are responsible for slavery in the Americas. That's all there is to it.

What relevance it has in my life is for me to decide, not you.

And that bullsh*t about it being legal is laughable. The Germans made the Holocaust "legal" too. Should Jews shut the hell up about that just because it was perpetrated by their fellow whites?

Your answer to that will pretty much determine what you're a product of (black?...don't think so).

So yea...move on.

Nope, i'm blaming the white slave traders and the whites that set up the institution of slavery in the Americas because i'm an American.

And really, it's so necessary to bring up Africans slaughtering each other in tribal wars when your ancestors came from a continent that murdered 50 to 60 million of it's own citizens in ONE WAR?

So really, who's the savage? Oh yea...literacy, life expectancy, and standard of living makes it all better, huh? LMAO...

SMH...you can't make this stuff up.
Waah much???

:banghead:

Bill Cosby had it right. Bunch of whiny, hypersensitive people looking for any excuse. "Waaaahhhhh White people had slaves 160 years ago!!! Waahhh my life is so bad!!! Waaahhh my great great great great grandfather was a slave and now my life sucks and I can't get out of the ghetto and it is the white devils fault. Waaaaahhhhh!!!!"

Holy crap. Even the Jews have moved on better than the blacks.

WTF... Keep hanging on to the past and blaming white people then. Whatever you want. Have a frickin cookie while you are at it. The rest of us have moved on and don't give a crap.

GTFO with that victim bull****...

Want to know what the number one cause of the decline of the black community? "****ing waahhh!!!!" Is what...

Old 12-30-2012, 03:29 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Number one decline is the rise in out of wedlock pregnancies. This causes gang problems, higher crime and everything bad.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Racism is a terrible thing regardless of who gives it. I think this is something most of us can agree upon. However, we rarely hear of condemnation against those who target whites explicitly. Black and Hispanic on white crime occurs in greater numbers than the opposite, yet we rarely see public outcry. Further...even on this forum we see comments about how white people are the problem, white people are stupid, white people are ruining the world, etc. etc. etc. If the same was mentioned of african american or hispanics the thread would be shut down or the poster would be yelled at by every subsequent poster.

So my question....why does it seem that prejudice against White people is tolerated...or even encouraged to some degree? Further...why are white people encouraged to be apologetic (see below).

I want to qualify the apology thing with something that happened in my "Intro to Sociology" class in college. My Soci professor was in the racial relations section of our textbook and she was talking about the injustices that have happened over the years against minorities in the South. She then proceeded to ask all of the white Americans in the classroom to write a "proxy" apology letter to the slaves for the injusticies of our ancestors. Now...I did this because it was for the class and I had no interest in getting on my professors bad side...but I felt uncomfortable doing this. I have done nothing to the slaves...I, to my knowledge, have never hurt anyone. This felt unfair to me and my classmates. It was clearly racially motivated and unacceptable...yet she does this every year. Is it fair?
Probably because whites are the majority and hold the most wealth. Not to mention, the stigma of southerner whites owning black folks. I grew up in predominantly black neighborhood (I'm white) and experienced a lot of racism. It's just people being people though. Everyone is racist/prejudice to an extent.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Want to know what the number one cause of the decline of the black community? "****ing waahhh!!!!" Is what...
If you're black (I think you mentioned it, but I'm not sure) you should not take sides against the black community for the white community. If you have problems with the black community you air your dirty laundry inside your community, not for others to use and manipulate.

Anyways, slavery and jim crow maybe in the past but revenge always needs to exacted in the present. Back where I'm from, blood feuds go on for centuries. If you kill my brother, I may get you back by killing your son. Ancestors are held accountable, and sometimes blood needs to be spilled to calm nerves.

The reason blacks are so pissed was they were hit but never got a chance to hit back. At least that's me projecting. If I knew my ancestors were brutalized, I would want revenge on whomever was left to bear it. This is why a Russian will never be able to survive in the north kavkaz without protection. People have long memories when wronged.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:42 PM

266 posts, read 410,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Actually, I agree with the idea that people are not directly responsible for what they were born into, so of course it is not a middle class white kid's "fault" they were born who they were, any more than it's a poor kid's "fault" they are poor. I think really what people want is some kind of acknowledgement of this sort: that crap happened, and even after it ended crap kept happening, to now we have a country where some people have mountains of crap to overcome just to exist. And that's kinda screwed up. Some of us actually benefit from other people getting screwed. We should all be aware of that and band together to stop perpetuating the crazy.

Instead, what folks hear (or think they are hearing) is "That's not my fault, why should I have to do anything? Stop talking about that thing that happened so long ago that didn't really end exactly and isn't even the main point but still stop talking about it. Whiners. And if you even mention it I'm going to tell you you are playing the race card". Um... what? LOL

Don't get me wrong... I tell my kids that they have no excuses, that they are privileged to have 2 educated non-crazy parents with jobs who can provide them with a nice life, and they they have all the tools they need to get past any racism they may encounter so they just have to deal with it. So I'm not using anything as an crutch. There are all kinds of privilege.. my kids are black but they are also middle class, well educated, straight (so far LOL), etc so they have quite a few advantages. But I do bristle at the "why should I feel bad?" line of defensiveness, because too often I think it gets used as a shield to keep people from having to acknowledge things they don't want to acknowledge.
I Agree. I think white people in general don't want to talk about it however because they feel they are specifically being targeted. Like the OP stated, they were told to write an apology letter. I personally would do the assignment and not think much about it but I can see why someone would feel uncomfortable doing it. I mean if you think about it that assignment should be considered racist, but it's not since its aimed at whites. Basically saying "since your white, you screwed up big time and now need to apologize", hence why the OP asks the question "Why is racism against whites tolerated?". What if the professor told all of the hispanic students to apologize to others for being here illegally? Chances are none of the students are there illegally so why should they apologize for a small percentage of hispanics being here illegally.

The defense mechinism kicks in because whenever there is a discussion about slavery it seems it is aimed as a lecture or an attack on white people and has the tone of "admit you screwed up and apologize". I guess some people may use the "not apologizing" line as a shield but not me. I think slavery was horrible and minorities are definitly at a disadvantage in this country and the single fact that I'm white probably makes it a little easier in certain aspects of life but when we are discussing slavery the single fact that I'm white does not mean that I should be held accountable for it, for I nor anyone in my families history has any connection to slavery.

Also, when discussing slavery its a touchy subject for whites because they know if they word anything badly they will be labeled as a racist. Which is what this thread is about. Whites probably don't talk about it because the thought is "If I don't say exactly what one wants to hear I'm gonna be labeled as a racist." Look at peoples reaction to the OP, people start mocking him/her telling him/her their racist just because he/she asked a simple question. Every thread where someone asks a question like this it is NEVER actually answered it, the OP is just bombarded with "Your racist" remarks. I mean some people might look at this post and think I'm racist but I'm not I actually seem to get along with minorities better then white people.

All races are pretty much the same when you think about it. I think both races are kind of just in a gridlock. Each side kind of wants something from the other side. With all that said I believe most people (regardless of race) are good people and want the same things in life.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:17 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Waah much???

Bill Cosby had it right. Bunch of whiny, hypersensitive people looking for any excuse. "Waaaahhhhh White people had slaves 160 years ago!!! Waahhh my life is so bad!!! Waaahhh my great great great great grandfather was a slave and now my life sucks and I can't get out of the ghetto and it is the white devils fault. Waaaaahhhhh!!!!"

WTF... Keep hanging on to the past and blaming white people then. Whatever you want. Have a frickin cookie while you are at it. The rest of us have moved on and don't give a crap.

Everything you have just said basically confirms that desertdetroiter is right. The very fact that you're basically making light of what happened to Black people shows your true stripes, and it shows callousness.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Waah much???

Not really... I didn't ask you, and i'm not interested in your answer.

"better than the blacks?" More proof of you lying about being biracial. Not that i needed it.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Number one decline is the rise in out of wedlock pregnancies. This causes gang problems, higher crime and everything bad.
On this i can agree. I've been saying this for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies