Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:48 PM

45,396 posts, read 26,983,057 times

Advertisements

U.S. food banks raise alarm as drought dents government supplies

The worst U.S. drought in more than half a century has weakened the safety net for the 50 million Americans who struggle to get enough to eat, and the nation's food banks are raising the alarm as the holiday season gets into full swing.

This summer's crop-damaging weather in the U.S. farm belt has driven up costs for everything from grain to beef. That means higher prices at the grocery store, but it also means the U.S. government has less need to buy key staples like meat, peanut butter, rice and canned fruits and vegetables to support agricultural prices and remove surpluses.

The decline in government donations is exacerbating the pain inflicted by stubbornly high unemployment and a lack of income growth for many low-wage workers.

Need to watch for this next year. Many factors in play - how many people can donate, how many people need the assistance, good weather to aid in food growth... and of course there's the government overshadowing the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 08:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
That reminds me, I need to clean out my pantry and donate what I can to the local food bank.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM

8,246 posts, read 8,596,826 times
If supplies are so low, why are food banks giving out expired food? The stores remove the food before the date so where was it , in some cases 3 years, before it was distributed?

If the demand was so great and the supplies so low. don't you think the food would be flying off the shelves? That at the worst some cans may be expired a few weeks?

Do not reply with the food still being good after the date. That is not the point. If the food is removed before the date or even on the date, where was it and why wasn't it distributed already? 3 years and sometimes longer? It makes me think that the food is not turning over too fast and it sits in the food bank.

Remember reputable food banks need cash. They can buy food much cheaper than you or I can. Giving cans to a drive is feel good but doesn't really do too much, especially since some people use food drives to get rid of the stuff that is expired or near expired.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 AM

41,877 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Old news. Donations to food banks have been declining for years, thanks to places like Big Lots et al, which will buy stuff that hasn't sold, dented cans, etc. that manufacturers used to donate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Do not reply with the food still being good after the date. That is not the point. If the food is removed before the date or even on the date, where was it and why wasn't it distributed already?
Perhaps the food wasn't donated until after the expiration date? That happens, too.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,921,779 times
Lets start putting ethanol into our gas. I'm sure that will help with our food shortages and rising food costs.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,797,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Lets start putting ethanol into our gas. I'm sure that will help with our food shortages and rising food costs.
So what your saying is turning food into fuel by government mandate reduces food supply? Who could have possibly predicted that happening. Oh wait, everyone.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,379,498 times
It's so bad now, that people are eating their own food.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
U.S. food banks raise alarm as drought dents government supplies

The worst U.S. drought in more than half a century has weakened the safety net for the 50 million Americans who struggle to get enough to eat, and the nation's food banks are raising the alarm as the holiday season gets into full swing.

This summer's crop-damaging weather in the U.S. farm belt has driven up costs for everything from grain to beef. That means higher prices at the grocery store, but it also means the U.S. government has less need to buy key staples like meat, peanut butter, rice and canned fruits and vegetables to support agricultural prices and remove surpluses.

The decline in government donations is exacerbating the pain inflicted by stubbornly high unemployment and a lack of income growth for many low-wage workers.

Need to watch for this next year. Many factors in play - how many people can donate, how many people need the assistance, good weather to aid in food growth... and of course there's the government overshadowing the process.
"Throw more government money at the problem, that usually solves everything, and if it doesn't, at least we can feel like we did something." - Liberals

Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 PM

25,803 posts, read 16,451,635 times
Wow, I hope people don't have to get a job and buy their own food. How horrible.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,927,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Wow, I hope people don't have to get a job and buy their own food. How horrible.
Yeah...maybe grandma can pull a double at Micky D's. I think she's been stealing fries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies