Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 02:25 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,294,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP;

Hatred, jealousy and expecting the government to for you and hoping they will hurt others gets you no where. If you are jumping on this bandwagon years from now, you will still be poor.

What world do you people live in?

Very few "hate" the rich, though they should be criticized when they act like babies and claim they're being fleeced when they're making more money than ever and have the lowest tax rates they had in decades.

Fewer still expect the government to provide for them. However, there will always be people who want someone - be it the government, or charity, or their family - to provide for them.

What people EXPECT is a fair shake and opportunity. What people want to SEE are the kinds of things that increase opportunities for those that have the drive and ambition to succeed. What some on here want to see is the earth scorched of anything resembling government helping the disadvantaged succeed.

The rich often fear a true meritocracy, because it would devestate their legacy and prove their progeny worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 02:34 PM

7,569 posts, read 4,114,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Very few "hate" the rich, though they should be criticized when they act like babies and claim they're being fleeced when they're making more money than ever and have the lowest tax rates they had in decades.

Fewer still expect the government to provide for them. However, there will always be people who want someone - be it the government, or charity, or their family - to provide for them.

What people EXPECT is a fair shake and opportunity. What people want to SEE are the kinds of things that increase opportunities for those that have the drive and ambition to succeed. What some on here want to see is the earth scorched of anything resembling government helping the disadvantaged succeed.

The rich often fear a true meritocracy, because it would devestate their legacy and prove their progeny worthless.
I would be fearful of true meritocracy as well. I would like the opportunity to pass on my knowledge to my daughter so that she can make decisions under different circumstances than mine. That means we have to make progress as a family.

So the world has rich people who were just "lucky" to be born into rich families. It is not always fair.

There are many rich people who are in that situation because they deserved it.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:39 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,403,056 times
Quote:

LOL. There is opportunity but most would rather complain because it is not easy. Nothing is easy, if it were even crybabies would be rich.

PS... at one time I was very poor and because I had the drive and ambition I was able to see there was opportunity "without" government help. I am not super rich nor but I am no longer poor. I didn't hate those who succeeded but instead opened my head to learning from them. When a rich person can see the right attitude they are always willing to be there to answer questions and guide you. I say a lot of it has to do with attitude and who you surround yourself with, complainers or go getters.

A couple years back I met a 18 year old who had the right attitude, some knowledge, and was always wanting to learn. The rich believe in passing it on through knowledge and encouragement and being available to give advise. And this 21 year old with some mentoring, continued drive and ambition today is successful beyond imagination. For gods sake, he is 21 years old. The opportunity is there if you would stop complaining all the time.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I would be fearful of true meritocracy as well. I would like the opportunity to pass on my knowledge to my daughter so that she can make decisions under different circumstances than mine. That means we have to make progress as a family.

And this means working to ensure that the children of other people do not have the same opportunities as your daughter? Strip down and get rid of public schools, pell grants, federal student aid?

Have you ever BEEN to a country that doesn't have these things? If so, is it somewhere you'd want to raise your daughter and "progress as a family?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02
So the world has rich people who were just "lucky" to be born into rich families. It is not always fair.

There are many rich people who are in that situation because they deserved it.

Yeah, and you know what else isn't "fair"? That we have to pay taxes to enjoy the benefits and safety of civilized, ordered society.

I deal with it, you all can deal with it too.

If you want to be a welfare queen, go for it. You have equal opportunity to give up your job and jump on the dole if it's SUCH an attractive lifestyle!

Old 11-24-2012, 02:40 PM

8,584 posts, read 9,058,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Union pension funds and IRAs, 401k's, etc.

"This shift of business ownership from rich people to working people may be the greatest economic transformation since the Industrial Revolution.
...So what does all this mean? Well, for starters, it should lead to an end of complaints about the profits of corporations and allegations about 'greedy corporations.' After all, much of that profit now goes toward the current and future retirement incomes of working people."
Business Ownership & Labor Day

Read the entire article, and open your eyes.

Everyone who contributes to or benefits from a 401k, pension fund, mutual fund, annuity, or whole life insurance policy, etc., is an investor, en masse. Their interests are protected.
And guess who the US's biggest investor is?

CalPERS, the California public employees union retirement system.

Pension systems and retirement accounts hold HUGE ownership positions in equities, stocks, and bonds. Perhaps you believe those should be raided and emptied of their value because benefitting from the system is unfair. Are you on board with that?
You are correct, however it is chicken feed compared to the few. Not as huge as you think. Very few reap the largest block of income, not 401ks and pensions. Pensions have gone the way of the Dodo bird for most. The average 401k is around $70,000.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:46 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,378,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe this anger problem is more visible in the deep south, where a rich person is practically a myth.

Excuse me? So there are no rich people in the deep south? Hmmm. I think you need to provide a source for that little nugget. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
If you want to be a welfare queen, go for it. You have equal opportunity to give up your job and jump on the dole if it's SUCH an attractive lifestyle!
If it's not so attractive what are you doing to get off the dole? You do better than the working poor (people who work 40 hours a week). That is not right either.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
LOL. There is opportunity but most would rather complain because it is not easy. Nothing is easy, if it were even crybabies would be rich.

Again. What part can you not understand: Not everyone can be rich. It is IMPOSSIBLE. The system we have REQUIRES an underclass to do the menial, low paying jobs.

We cannot function as a capitalist society WITHOUT the working poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP
PS... at one time I was very poor and because there was opportunity, I had the drive and ambition and with no government help I am no longer poor. I didn't hate those who succeeded but instead opened my head to learning from them.

PS: I'm 30, I grew up poor... three brothers in a tiny bedroom in a 800 sq. ft. house poor. Food stamps/WIC poor for a portion of our childhood. A father rendered disabled as a construction worker by an unscrupulous employer who decided to save money on cranes by having workers carry trusses on their backs...and a a mother who worked multiple jobs to help support the family.

I since went on to college and grad school and do just fine for myself. Owned my first home at 22. Paid some of my mother's bills while in college while working and studying.

But I will NEVER be the kind of idiot who does not appreciate or recognize the fact that this country gave me a chance to succeed. The tools to get where I am - financial aid, student loans, public education.... and the tools to KEEP me comfortable now that I have what I have - police protection, the court system, public education to keep a stream of educated, productive workers for use in business.

Nothing worse than someone who actually believes they "bootstrapped" themselves to success in a vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP
A couple years back I met a 18 year old who had the right attitude, some knowledge, and was always wanting to learn. With some mentoring, continued drive and ambition today, he's 21 years old and is successful beyond imagination. For gods sake, he is 21 years old. The opportunity is there if you would stop complaining all the time.

Yeah, and Mark Zuckerberg became a billionaire because he had a lot of luck and a vision and computer programming skills.

We can ALL be billionaires if we just try, right? We'll just invent robots to do the menial labor and minimum wage jobs. Or, we always have Mexicans.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
If it's not so attractive what are you doing to get off the dole? You do better than the working poor (people who work 40 hours a week). That is not right either.

And what is it that you do, eRay? That you're sooooo successful and work forty (HA!) hours per week?

Old 11-24-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
We can ALL be billionaires if we just try, right? We'll just invent robots to do the menial labor and minimum wage jobs. Or, we always have Mexicans.
No I will never be a billionaire but it is not Zuckerberg's fault. Am I supposed to be jealous of him lol.

Actually I hear that Latinos are very hard workers and with good attitudes. They want to feed their families and do well like the rest of us. I have the feeling that once they figure it out some of them will become very successful people.

Quote:
And what is it that you do, eRay? That you're sooooo successful and work forty (HA!) hours per week?
LOL, yea, more attitude.... Don't believe that it's possible? Then you will go nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies