Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford
If I take a client out for dinner or lunch, even if we don't talk much business, that's solidifying my relationship with that client, meaning they will either directly spend more money with me or indirectly send me more business by way of referrals. This making more money, thus making Uncle Sam more money via taxes. So the government agrees to wrote off the $30 dinner from my income (which is a few dollars in revenue) because that $30 dinner can turn into $30,000 of income for me, netting them a WHOLE lot more.

It's basic math and common sense.
Last I checked you can only write off 50% of that business meal. You also have to document who, what, where, when and what you business you discussed. I think the most you can spend on one meal is $70. So lets do the math.

$70 (a business meal) x 365 (days in the year) = $25,550.00 (spent) divided by 2 = $12,775.00

Last edited by eRayP; 11-25-2012 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 03:56 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Wow that's illegal big time, who wrote off their entire house? We get a reward for reporting someone for doing that.
I had a professional accountant do my taxes and nothing was done illegal. Used one room only out of my house as an office. Also just finished paying off taxes owed from 2005 after business was done and paid all penalties and late fees. Had some pretty rough times in that time period but continued paying my owed taxes. Unlike Geither (sp) on Obama's team.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I had a professional accountant do my taxes and nothing was done illegal. Used one room only out of my house as an office. Also just finished paying off taxes owed from 2005 after business was done and paid all penalties and late fees. Had some pretty rough times in that time period but continued paying my owed taxes. Unlike Geither (sp) on Obama's team.
Yep, if you got your taxes done correctly and owed taxes, penalties and late fees, life would get pretty rough. Worked your butt off for that money and got to pay it to the government. Life is grand isn't it... BUT you didn't pay your fair share you know?

just so the parasites don't have to work it's all good.

Last edited by eRayP; 11-25-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 04:39 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Yep, if you got your taxes done correctly and owed taxes, penalties and late fees, life would get pretty rough. Worked your butt off for that money and got to pay it to the government. Life is grand isn't it... BUT you didn't pay your fair share you know?

just so the parasites don't have to work it's all good.
You act like it the government is taking all the money and these rich folks are hardly getting by. Why the need for hyperbole? Furthermore, considering those "wealthy" are the ones who most benefit from having a government who provides infrastructure, stability, and security for them they should be paying the most. Don't believe me then please point out this low tax paradise where the wealthy can live and expect the same sort of stability, infrastructure, and security.

Lastly, the wealthy aren't the ones creating demand, which in turns drives investment and employment.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You act like it the government is taking all the money and these rich folks are hardly getting by. Why the need for hyperbole? Furthermore, considering those "wealthy" are the ones who most benefit from having a government who provides infrastructure, stability, and security for them they should be paying the most. Don't believe me then please point out this low tax paradise where the wealthy can live and expect the same sort of stability, infrastructure, and security.

Lastly, the wealthy aren't the ones creating demand, which in turns drives investment and employment.
Thank you for making those crucial points.

May I just add that the wealthy didn't build that.

Thank you.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I can assure you that I have no interest in raping most of my family.
I see, Which members of your family DO you have an interest in raping?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
[URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anecdote"]Dictionary.com[/URL]
a short account of a particular incident or event, especially of an interesting or amusing [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nature"]nature[/URL].
2. a short, obscure historical or biographical account.

[URL="http://www.thefreedictionary.com/anecdote"]FreeDictionary.com[/URL]

a short usually amusing account of an incident, esp a personal or biographical one

Of course, verifiable information is better but then again you haven't been posting many links to verify anything you say....
Wow are you Confused. Anecdote and Anecdotal Evidence are two different things.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Elizabeth Warren just checked in. People pay for infrastructure with taxes. If you don't pay taxes then get off our roads.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 PM

724 posts, read 593,229 times
Quote:
Wow, you can buy a yacht and a plane and have a tax haven making $200K?
Where did I say anything about 200 thousand?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Quantify poorly. Or is that just anecdotally?

Yes this poster is trying to incorrectly link raising the income tax as somehow unfair to thw wealthy. If you want to be disingenuous about the situation then we can just look at income taxes. However, as I've said one can't determine the fairness just looking at income taxes. I would rather have an open and honest discussion, but apparentely you'd rather hide behind the notion of sticking rigidily to the OP.

Ok....
If you want to go down that road, I think you are going to get squashed like a bug when you come across a little thing called property taxes, which poor people pay little of any of, and rich people pay a ton of..

I'll say it for you "Ouch, I hate when that happens"

or

"Oh well, back to the drawing board"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies