Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:40 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
What the hell are you saying? Freedom to do what? If you are supposed to be in English 101 at 0800, you need to be there. I don't want to go to work today. I would rather watch reruns of Andy Griffith all day. But there are consequences to me not showing up. I also want the freedom to drive 100 MPH on the Ryan Expressway but the Chicago Police have denied me that freedom. And if I do it, I don't think the judge in Traffic Court will be sympathetic to my plea that they restricted my freedoms.

You have just shown, how rules restrict individual freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 06:57 AM

45,137 posts, read 26,317,877 times
Besides the the negative psychological impact of being tracked and monitored, what of the economic ramifications?
The school district should be spending the money on education and not acting as an arm of the prison system.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 AM

519 posts, read 602,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You have just shown, how rules restrict individual freedom.
So what's your solution? Total anarchy?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sadly so may have become so easy to manipulate.

Just insert public school into the definition as it applys here as well.
Get those young minds while they are maleable.
Another reason to get your kids out of public school if you love em.
Again, another straw man argument.

Let's address this incident specifically. Why is it a bad thing for the school to keep track of the kids. By your assumption, my children will always keep a curfew because I give them one.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Let's address this incident specifically. Why is it a bad thing for the school to keep track of the kids. By your assumption, my children will always keep a curfew because I give them one.

Another reason Private Christian based schools, are booming with business.
Home schooling is on the rise in a big way also.

Government becoming the parent.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Big Brother is alive and well in the USA...

The San Antonio Express-News reports that the Northside Independent School District in Bexar County has embarked on a pilot program to track students using RFID chips embedded in their student ID cards.

San Antonio School District to Track Students with RFID Chips - Yahoo! News

Texas Student EXPELLED For Refusing To Wear RFID Chip Tracking ID Badge
Heard abaou this the other day: that absolutely sucks....

Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Oh it gets better. Now you have school districts using biometrics and palm scanning to track their lunch money accounts.
Each student gets their palm scanned and goes into a database.
Now students buy lunch and put their hand on the scanner which deducts the amount from their lunch account.

Biometrics is more advanced than RFID and is based on body parts which the students can't lose

This is the same technology used in the iris scanners at airports.

Pinellas students to use palm scanners in lunch line | wtsp.com

Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,928,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sadly so may have become so easy to manipulate.

Just insert public school into the definition as it applys here as well.
Get those young minds while they are maleable.
Another reason to get your kids out of public school if you love em.

Conditioned thinking. Introduce and foster that the "collective" is more important than the liberty of the individual and when they become voting adults, they won't see the issues and dangers of encroaching government and the disregard for individual liberty. They will have become accustomed to it and support such because it is all they know.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
Default Students are not considered responsible adults

Students are not considered responsible adults so do not have any "freedoms" of privacy and movement enjoyed by adult citizens. The schools are held responsible for the student's health and location during the school hours. The school districts are just using available technology to do their job. I am surprised that the chips are not surgically implanted to prevent the students from switching ID cards to reduce the effectiveness of the surveillance.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,928,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

It isn't a straw man. It is an honest point made concerning the subtle approaches of conditioning to thought and acceptance. Now you can certainly make the argument that this is not guaranteed to happen, but to claim there is no concern of such occurring is specifically ignoring a legitimate possible outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies