Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Students are not considered responsible adults so do not have any "freedoms" of privacy and movement enjoyed by adult citizens. The schools are held responsible for the student's health and location during the school hours. The school districts are just using available technology to do their job. I am surprised that the chips are not surgically implanted to prevent the students from switching ID cards to reduce the effectiveness of the surveillance.
The cost for RFID chips is $1.6 million, how has public education survived without such technology in the past?

Some of you have a bad case of stockholm syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Students are not considered responsible adults so do not have any "freedoms" of privacy and movement enjoyed by adult citizens. The schools are held responsible for the student's health and location during the school hours. The school districts are just using available technology to do their job. I am surprised that the chips are not surgically implanted to prevent the students from switching ID cards to reduce the effectiveness of the surveillance.

If this doesn't scare you people, if this doesn't give you pause or a point of objection, then you deserve to be slaves, deserve tyranny and the harm that will surely come from those who oppress you through this thinking.

Don't cry about your loss of freedoms when this happens. What GregW is suggesting will eventually be done to adults under the same loose claims of protecting the collective.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Besides the the negative psychological impact of being tracked and monitored, what of the economic ramifications?
The school district should be spending the money on education and not acting as an arm of the prison system.
You're an adult. It's harder to condition an adult to something like this because you have a comparison, a previous "norm" which was less intrusive.

But take a kid, say 5 years old. Once conditioned, they won't question it. It's becomes their "norm".
If you want to change society, you do it in the schools with the kids and the earlier you start it the easier it is to get blanket acceptance.

Ask any young adult..21 or 22 and younger about airports and security.
Scanners, xrays, high security is their norm. They were 10 or younger when 9/11 happened.
Airports today is all they know. Why would they object to the intrusive checking when they know no different ? To them, that is the norm.

Changes to society start in the schools.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Embedded in on of the links:

"The district's stated reason is to help obtain funding from the state by documenting the number of students who attend the school.

The district plans to spend $525,065 to implement the pilot program and $136,005 per year to run it, but it will more than pay for itself. If successful, Northside would get $1.7 million next year from both higher attendance and Medicaid reimbursements for busing special education students."

Blog: Texas school district to require students to wear RFID chip whil on campus

Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You're an adult. It's harder to condition an adult to something like this because you have a comparison, a previous "norm" which was less intrusive.

But take a kid, say 5 years old. Once conditioned, they won't question it. It's becomes their "norm".
If you want to change society, you do it in the schools with the kids and the earlier you start it the easier it is to get blanket acceptance.

Ask any young adult..21 or 22 and younger about airports and security.
Scanners, xrays, high security is their norm. They were 10 or younger when 9/11 happened.
Airports today is all they know. Why would they object to the intrusive checking when they know no different ? To them, that is the norm.

Changes to society start in the schools.
I agree, but I think it takes two keys to establish.

1. Like you said, you must start early in the educational system, condition them with such as normal and acceptable.

2. You must also adjust educational focus, eliminating logical and evidential process. Foster opinion as valid, consensus as verification, and collective thought as truth.

If you simply conditioned a given aspect as accepted, without insuring number two, some would begin to question, object to the logic of a given issue. With both applied, they are conditioned to accept, and ignorant to reason of objection. You create a society of easily manipulated "groups" as since they do not respect individual thought, no idea can find purchase. The collective is then formed by those who speak "for" the collective and so the collective accepts without question.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Embedded in on of the links:

"The district's stated reason is to help obtain funding from the state by documenting the number of students who attend the school.

The district plans to spend $525,065 to implement the pilot program and $136,005 per year to run it, but it will more than pay for itself. If successful, Northside would get $1.7 million next year from both higher attendance and Medicaid reimbursements for busing special education students."

Blog: Texas school district to require students to wear RFID chip whil on campus
In the end..it's all about the money.
Title 1 schools rely heavily on Fed dollars and the Fed demands accountability.
I've been in Title 1 schools and they jump through hoops about attendance and probably go into some gray areas that I would consider "absent" vs "was in school so counted".

The almighty dollar drives some of this crap.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:

Uhh uh Greg! No f***n' way would I EVER allow my kid to have a chip surgically implanted!!!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I agree, but I think it takes two keys to establish.

1. Like you said, you must start early in the educational system, condition them with such as normal and acceptable.

2. You must also adjust educational focus, eliminating logical and evidential process. Foster opinion as valid, consensus as verification, and collective thought as truth.

If you simply conditioned a given aspect as accepted, without insuring number two, some would begin to question, object to the logic of a given issue. With both applied, they are conditioned to accept, and ignorant to reason of objection. You create a society of easily manipulated "groups" as since they do not respect individual thought, no idea can find purchase. The collective is then formed by those who speak "for" the collective and so the collective accepts without question.
The "collective" is there.

Everyone is a winner
No Child Left Behind
Inclusion
removal of tracking
elimination of phrases, traditions, etc. because not everyone believes

Schools have turned into factories producing drones.
The real world hasn't undergone the transformation yet.
The OWS crowd are graduates of this education and expected the same in the real world and are shocked to find out different. Hence the protests.

I'm back in the schools and my comparison is to when I was in school (30 years ago).
College is still the same (because Fed Gov hasn't taken it over yet).
But K-12 was a big shocker for me. Core curriculum (Math-English-Science-Reading) barely take 1/2 of the school day. Measurement testing every 6 weeks or so, scantron proficiency, increased schoolwide events on bullying, safe sex, drugs, etc.

We need some new institutions where kids can go to actually learn academics from 9-3 because the schools today focus more on social issues and academics have taken a back seat.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Uhh uh Greg! No f***n' way would I EVER allow my kid to have a chip surgically implanted!!!
Well, let's see the myriad of excuses will all involve safety and fear of something bad happening if they are not chipped.

Fear is what get changes through.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Another reason Private Christian based schools, are booming with business.
Home schooling is on the rise in a big way also.

Government becoming the parent.
Perfect example of the free market working. I wholey support parents homeschooling or using private schools if they deem fit. I even think we should give them a voucher to do so with the tax dollars their children would normally recieve at public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies