Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 PM

700 posts, read 637,582 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't the amount of time spent on prefabrication count towards the total amount of construction time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,149,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
Why doesn't the amount of time spent on prefabrication count towards the total amount of construction time?
Technically it should, this construction timeline is more on site construction.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The building looks potentially ugly, and I question the design for the height of the building because of wind at that height, but the speed at which it is getting built makes sense if it is all prefabricated in a warehouse.

With this building I think there might be a number of problems, like does it have a core, how does it handle wind and sway, how does it handle commuting within the building (elevator speeds and elevator shafts.) It could take someone over a half hour to get to the upper floors.

This is really all I have seen on this building and usually I ignore these super tall buildings because they almost never get built so I really don't know how serious this proposal really is.
Maybe they will be like us Americans and "just figure out the small details as we go"

Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I don't see this as happening. I live in Chicago and the tallest building here at 1440 feet (110 floors) already sways so much at the top on windy days, it actually makes some people experience motion sickness. And the amount of space needed for elevators and mechanical stuff like plumbing and such would take up a huge amount of space. While it is possible for the Chinese to build it, it would make far more economic sense to build 2 towers of 110 floors and even more sense to build 4 of 55 floors.
Just seeing the word "sway" and picturing 220 storeys is making me feel vertiginous

I've been up the Sears (I still can't think of it as Willis) Tower and to the bar at the John Hancock Observatory on more than a few occasions and both of those buildings were PLENTY high enough for me. I can't imagine being comfortable in a tower twice that height for 5 minutes let alone spending all day working or living up there. I imagine one would be in a constant state of subconscious or conscious anxiety which amplified with every gust of wind. No thanks (((shudder)))

Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,370,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Technically it should, this construction timeline is more on site construction.
Does the time cutting the tree down, making the 2x4's 4x4's and 2x8's for a house count towards its construction time? Or is it just the materials on site, how fast can you put it together?

I'm reading a lot of people who are wishing them ill in this endeavor. If you think the US should have the tallest building in the world, tell your local politicians to support one. I'd like to see us endeavor to build a space elevator myself. Sky's the limit? Hardly.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,541,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Just seeing the word "sway" and picturing 220 storeys is making me feel vertiginous

I've been up the Sears (I still can't think of it as Willis) Tower and to the bar at the John Hancock Observatory on more than a few occasions and both of those buildings were PLENTY high enough for me. I can't imagine being comfortable in a tower twice that height for 5 minutes let alone spending all day working or living up there. I imagine one would be in a constant state of subconscious or conscious anxiety which amplified with every gust of wind. No thanks (((shudder)))
I agree. I know I wouldn't want to spend any extended period of time in that building. I've been atop the tallest tower in the world in Dubai and as long as I am comfortable with the building quality, I have no problem with heights. But hell, that is a tall building!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,670,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I'd like to see them try doing that here...Good Luck...

Sky City: China’s tower will be the world’s tallest
Still looking for the new skyline in NYC where the twin towers used to be, it's been a decade and still counting.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,670,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I agree. I know I wouldn't want to spend any extended period of time in that building. I've been atop the tallest tower in the world in Dubai and as long as I am comfortable with the building quality, I have no problem with heights. But hell, that is a tall building!
It would make an awesome video if it collapsed like other Chinese constructed buildings

Deadly building collapse in China | Video | Reuters.com

Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,722,819 times
I don't think there will be quality issues. The Chinese know what is at stake with such a giant tower. Maybe they used to be a bit sloppy with smaller units in the past, but they learn fast and after a few scandals the standards have probably been increased quite a bit already. And don't forget that modern Chinese cities already have lots of skyscrapers that seem to be reliable.

The Chinese have been developing that modular approach for some time, they must have a lot of experience by now. Frankly, I would rather enter that new Chinese tower than any of those towers in the Emirates which have been built by workers from so many different countries speaking various languages that there are bound to be mistakes somewhere along the chain.

Nor am I sure buildings in the West are much better, there is corruption etc. in Western countries as well, especially in the construction industry.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,099,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I'd like to see them try doing that here...Good Luck...

Sky City: China’s tower will be the world’s tallest

That has disaster written all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies