Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 01:07 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The "power" is in the vote - contrary to populist opinion, we are not going back to "chains", "slavery", "child labor", suppressed women". Our "democracy" is what? Class warfare because over 50% don't pay Federal Taxes?

Every voting age citizen can register to vote, every registered voter can go to the polls and vote their choice ...... why should almost 50% of those voters care whether taxes are raised when they will not be paying those Federal Taxes? Who ever votes to raise their own taxes? That like a Dictator offering to step down and let someone else take power .... it just doesn't happen.

The printing presses continue to crank out the "money". "Deficit" is not a word that many folks even understand the meaning of - and why should they? The check is in the mail every month, or the 'work credit' check comes in the spring.

We have probably reached the same tipping point that Greece, Spain, Italy, California & Illinois have reached ........ and nobody cares, because they have no skin in the game. It's all about money out, with no worry about where that money comes from or if we can every pay it back! The money clearly comes from the Money Tree Forest on the White House lawn.

(1) I earn minimum wage and I pay Federal Taxes. Who are all these people not paying?

(2) The middle class is WAY better at playing this redistribution game. In Michigan, homeowners voted themselves an average $1,500 yearly property tax subsidy paid for by everybody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:12 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimt7 View Post
a false dichotomy has been erected by people declaring themselves "the producer class" vs. "the dependent class."

but, where a single mother of two may work 40 hours+ as a waitress at a local diner, or a father works as a landscaper all day, they still may not be able to provide for their family. (could be due to declining wages and benefits in these fields, among many other factors). Even if their respective families have to receive medicaid or school lunches for the kids.... Are the waitress and landscaper really "non producers?"

arguably, the waitress and landscaper produce and work harder than a financier or investor.

The capitalist economy requires an underclass of unskilled, low wage workers. Why demonize those who fulfill important sectors and functions in our economy. Just because something does not pay well, doesn't mean it's non-essential. And, just because something pays well doesn't mean its a valuable or even necessary part of the economy.
Exactly!!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
My Mom and Dad worked hard all their lives and both served in the military in WW2, they are now close to 90yrs old and for the last 20yrs have been on free medicare/medicaid or whatever its called and subsisting on their government pensions and a few other small income sources. where do they fit into this description of Americans who apparently either work for a living or by default are mooches and leeches of society,
Sure they are in the dependent class at this point in their lives as most of us would be in similar circumstances but why is there this negative derogatory label attached to their position in life when they paid their dues and more when they were in the supposed "Producer" class?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:56 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
A false dichotomy has been erected by people declaring themselves "the producer class" vs. "the dependent class."

But, where a single mother of two may work 40 hours+ as a waitress at a local diner, or a father works as a landscaper all day, they still may not be able to provide for their family. .

If you can't afford to support kids, don't have any. Very simple solution.

And if you can't afford to support YOUR kids, why do you think I can afford to support both MY kids and YOUR kids?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And those who attack me for taking care of my own and for my success like you democrats and liberals do...you have a spiritual darkness inside.
Snap out of the victim mentality. No body has attacked you for taking care of someone.

Quote:
Isn't it something how you accuse people of being greedy but promote taking money YOU DIDN'T EARN off the people who earned it.
I did not attack you for being greedy, I was talking about the way people TEAR DOWN those who work two jobs but still don't earn enough to feed their families, and I gave an example of someone who has lost the family breadwinner in a war. Personally I have not received a penny from the governemnt in any kind of welfare, so you are barking at the wrong tree. I paid taxes under Bush and Clinton, without pretending it was communist, and I pay them now.

Quote:
And round and round we go. If you didn't earn it.. it's not yours. So don't come off preaching your self righteous, self serving, one sided spiritual blubber. At least if you are going to rob me I'm going to get my diggs and laughs in for my dollar. Hows that for pandering lol.. You don't deserve respect.
This is exactly the dark spirit I was talking about. You display it with every post you make, and anger and bitterness drips from every word.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
where do they fit into this description of Americans who apparently either work for a living or by default are mooches and leeches of society,
Sure they are in the dependent class at this point in their lives as most of us would be in similar circumstances but why is there this negative derogatory label attached to their position in life when they paid their dues and more when they were in the supposed "Producer" class?
Not at all. People who worked all their lives, saved for retirement and took care of themselves are retired producers.

The derogatory label of "leeches" applies to able bodied people who refuse to provide for themselves and retired people who refused to save for retirement.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If you can't afford to support kids, don't have any. Very simple solution.
Hi, what world are you from? Surely it's not planet Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003
And if you can't afford to support YOUR kids, why do you think I can afford to support both MY kids and YOUR kids?

The sad reality is that people who can afford kids no longer have kids.

The only ones having kids reliably are the poor, and the foreigners.

So, one way or another, unless we have population retraction (also bad for the economy and the bottom line of all the "producers"), you're going to be bringing in poor people no matter what.

Pick your poison.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My Mom and Dad worked hard all their lives and both served in the military in WW2, they are now close to 90yrs old and for the last 20yrs have been on free medicare/medicaid or whatever its called and subsisting on their government pensions and a few other small income sources. where do they fit into this description of Americans who apparently either work for a living or by default are mooches and leeches of society,
In the Republican lexicon - they are the 'dependent class'. They ARE the 47%. They are moochers. They are takers.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
straw man alert

the dependant class is the welfare junkies that sit on their obese butts, and collect taxpayer dollars, and contribube NOTHING to society in any form, other than being a leach
What is a leach?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:39 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario
What is a leach?

How apropos! The man who PIONEERED profiling the "producer class" long before MTV Cribs got in the game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies