Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Food stamps is but one of 83 means tested social welfare programs.
And they cost over $1 trillion per year.

Each month brings new highs to food stamp recipients and now SSDI.

Looks like the family values crowd got it all, crumbs for the childless poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
A false dichotomy has been erected by people declaring themselves "the producer class" vs. "the dependent class."

But, where a single mother of two may work 40 hours+ as a waitress at a local diner, or a father works as a landscaper all day, they still may not be able to provide for their family. (Could be due to declining wages and benefits in these fields, among many other factors). Even IF their respective families have to receive Medicaid or school lunches for the kids.... are the waitress and landscaper REALLY "non producers?"

Arguably, the waitress and landscaper produce and work harder than a financier or investor.

The Capitalist economy requires an underclass of unskilled, low wage workers. Why demonize those who fulfill important sectors and functions in our economy. Just because something does not pay well, doesn't mean it's non-essential. And, just because something pays well doesn't mean its a valuable or even necessary part of the economy.

You're confusing the issue.
It's about people that take out of the system (government revenue) without putting in.

Everyone in our country ought to have a stake and a responsibility in contributing.

Some pay Federal Income Tax and some don't but yet equality is brought up?

I'd be happy to keep all of my money earned and maybe even get back more than what was taken out of my check back and be equal that way but that's not the way it is.

Why am I treated unequally?

"Waah, life ain't fair".

Last edited by bluesjuke; 11-27-2012 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Here is someone who says she has no intention on getting a better education and is applying for welfare. She is asking for help.

applied for food stamps, now have questions

Another one bites the dust.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
You confusing the issue.
It's about people that take out of the system (government revenue) without putting in.

Everyone in our country ought to have a stake and a responsibility in contributing.

I'd be happy to keep all of my money earned and maybe even get back more than what was taken out of my check back and be equal that way but that's not the way it is.

These people usually get soaked with state and local taxes to subsidize the middle class; homeowners typically enjoy huge subsidizes. In Michigan, homeowners get an average $1,500 yearly property tax subsidy, paid for by waitresses and burger flippers.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Here is someone who says she has no intention on getting a better education and is applying for welfare. She is asking for help.

applied for food stamps, now have questions

Another one bites the dust.

Getting a better education is expensive, I certainly can't afford it.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
These people usually get soaked with state and local taxes to subsidize the middle class; homeowners typically enjoy huge subsidizes. In Michigan, homeowners get an average $1,500 yearly property tax subsidy, paid for by waitresses and burger flippers.

Soaked?
We're all paying those taxes.
Did ytou find another area that they should not contribute in either?

In addition I'm addressing Federal Income Tax.

State Taxes is not the country as a whole which is the issue.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Getting a better education is expensive, I certainly can't afford it.
excuses, excuses. You could get government assistance, even paid for to go to a local community college to be a nurse assistant. Doesn't take that long either. freemkt, you would rather other people pay for your existence. No matter what excuse you give there is not one that gives you respect.

They are just excuses for you to feel better about someone else paying for your existance.

Last edited by petch751; 11-27-2012 at 11:30 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 12:12 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
You're confusing the issue.

"Waah, life ain't fair".
Your point is wrong because a "fair contribution" is completely arbitrary. What if poor people each paid a penny in federal income taxes? Or a dollar? Would that be enough? Is it fair that a billionaire pays a thousand times higher taxes than you? No, it's not. Taxation based on percentage of income has never been fair and never will be. A flat tax is still based on the principle that the rich subsidize the poor.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
excuses, excuses. You could get government assistance, even paid for to go to a local community college to be a nurse assistant. Doesn't take that long either. freemkt, you would rather other people pay for your existence. No matter what excuse you give there is not one that gives you respect.

They are just excuses for you to feel better about someone else paying for your existance.
The problem is that there are not enough jobs to support every single person getting a college degree, so that in your mind, there will always be a very large percentage of the population that is a failure, even though they could not possibly all "succeed".

Old 11-28-2012, 03:11 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Single mothers are certainly not rare. You can end up a single mother through the death of the spouse, or divorce, and neither are planned, they just happen, and for someone to come in years later and tear them down for having kids "they cannot afford" is as low as it gets. Most had their kids during sunny days, and they still had them when the rains came. What are you supposed to do, dump them in the forest?
A lot of women are just abandoned by the father of their child or children.

Only half of all single parents even have a formal or informal child support payment system in place from the non-custodial parent.

And about 60 % of single parents do not receive full child support payments from the non-custodial parent.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/p60-240.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies