Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 02:11 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Truth is, the overwhelming majority of Americans belong to BOTH classes...even the wealthy.

The folks convincing themselves otherwise are just flattering themselves.
I think the analysis shold be on the net of what value they create, vs what value they consume that they did no purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 02:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I think the analysis shold be on the net of what value they create, vs what value they consume that they did no purchase.
I don't think hedge funds or most investment bankers produce anything of value but wealth for themselves. They are blood-suckers.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In 10 months time you could have bought yourself a nice zero-turn mower with that money.
I don't have grass, so i don't need a mower. I need my bushes trimmed, and a mesquite tree pruned. I paid someone to do it because i don't wanna do it myself, and because even if i did wanna do it, i don't have the time. Moreover, i don't know now to properly trim and prune a tree, and i'm not equipped to haul away the debris if i could.

That means that my landscaper is a PRODUCER as defined, and he provides a valuable service for me.

Now i understand that he may not be an Econ 101 producer in the strictest sense of the word, but i don't see how an artist (in your words) is a producer and a landscaper isn't. That just makes no sense.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
meanwhile you would TAKE all their profits

'Walmart earned $16 billion last year .....

a 5000 dollar raise to each employee..(2 million of them) would WIPE out all profits...causing the company to risk being bankrupt

for those hard at math

2 million x 5000 = 10 billion
Walmart's profit margin is 3.9%. That means for every $1 in revenue they get to keep almost $.04 cents
Wipe them out to give people "livable wages"..for what one year til they have no more money ?

And Walmart average wage is near $12/hour which is above min wage.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Walmart's profit margin is 3.9%. That means for every $1 in revenue they get to keep almost $.04 cents
Wipe them out to give people "livable wages"..for what one year til they have no more money ?

And Walmart average wage is near $12/hour which is above min wage.
They could do it. The article in the following link shows how.

Walmart Could Give Every U.S. Employee A $5,000 Raise - Business Insider

Old 11-26-2012, 02:21 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
There is a min wage that is Federal so that wage applies all across the US.
You argue for a "livable wage" and there's never any detail from you livable wage people.

Go back to your talking points website and see if there are details.
How can you possibly argue for something you cannot discuss ?

You say "give them a livable wage". Ok..give us the details of that plan ?
How does it vary ? By COL, by CPI, by family size ?

You guys were given a talking point and nothing else.

Oh yeah..I'm sure the Waltons spend every weekend buying new yachts.
I don't lose sleep over what the Walton family does.
If I had a talking point, I would have written a much better post, LOL. I'm just me, trying to figure out where you rightwingers are going with this.

As I said, I'm not doing the math. I'm asking a big-picture question, which you keep avoiding by repeating yourself and insulting me.

PS. No one in their right mind believes that the federal minimum wage is even in the same zip code with a living wage in many parts of the country. Probably not doable even in the poorer states. Not, apparently, that you actually care about any of this -- your sole goal here is to make yourself feel good by saying ugly things you just make up about everyone who isn't you. Or the Waltons.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't think hedge funds or most investment bankers produce anything of value but wealth for themselves. They are blood-suckers.
They actually invest other people's money and make profits for other people.
They either get paid a salary or take a cut of the profits.

Investment banks like goldman sachs handle pensions and sovereign money for investment.

They are not trading their own money..lol.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
They actually invest other people's money and make profits for other people.
They either get paid a salary or take a cut of the profits.

They are not trading their own money.
That's exactly what I mean. They take a commission on trades --- if the fund loses money, THEY don't, they still make out like a bandit. They're bloodsuckers.

The return on hedge funds so far this year is about 0.5 % -- yet the average hedge fund manager will still make his $36 million in salary---(and that is just my own guess).

And I'm talking about companies like Bain, I thought they used their own money.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't have grass, so i don't need a mower. I need my bushes trimmed, and a mesquite tree pruned. I paid someone to do it because i don't wanna do it myself, and because even if i did wanna do it, i don't have the time. Moreover, i don't know now to properly trim and prune a tree, and i'm not equipped to haul away the debris if i could.

That means that my landscaper is a PRODUCER as defined, and he provides a valuable service for me.

Now i understand that he may not be an Econ 101 producer in the strictest sense of the word, but i don't see how an artist (in your words) is a producer and a landscaper isn't. That just makes no sense.
Artists produce paintings and sculptures that they sell to the 1%.

I was shooting for a variety of small business owners when I gave those examples.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Abolish pension funds. They RELY on investment bankers to manage them.

So, we're agreed? NO union pensions? Great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies