Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

I'll bet the guy gets off with a light sentence from a fed up jury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
While I doubt he'll receive the sentence he deserves; the good thing is that his age pretty much assures that this particular psychopath will never again be set loose among the general population.

I'm much more concerned about those who, on this site and elsewhere, are expressing their unconditional support of a cold-blooded murderer. Maybe the perceived quasi-anonymity of the internet simply fuels some kind of macho "make-my-day" bluster, or maybe these folks really see nothing wrong with the matter of fact murder of another human being. Maybe they're upset about missing out on the "fun" of looking into the eyes of a defenseless human being as they fire a bullet into her brain.

Byron David Smith intentionally killed two people. At some stage, after incapacitating an apparent intruder by firing several rounds into her body; he dragged the wounded and helpless young woman into the corner of his basement and administered a self-describe "kill-shot".

These two victims may have been addicted to prescription drugs. There is certainly evidence to suggest that they had been burglarizing area homes. In an ideal world; the drug addiction would be dealt with by treatment, and the burglaries would be dealt with by proportional legal penalties.

Breaking into someone's home carries the attendant risk of being arrested, or even of encountering an armed and frightened homeowner. However, there are never any circumstances under which the risks should include summary execution.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
While I doubt he'll receive the sentence he deserves; the good thing is that his age pretty much assures that this particular psychopath will never again be set loose among the general population.

I'm much more concerned about those who, on this site and elsewhere, are expressing their unconditional support of a cold-blooded murderer. Maybe the perceived quasi-anonymity of the internet simply fuels some kind of macho "make-my-day" bluster, or maybe these folks really see nothing wrong with the matter of fact murder of another human being. Maybe they're upset about missing out on the "fun" of looking into the eyes of a defenseless human being as they fire a bullet into her brain.

Byron David Smith intentionally killed two people. At some stage, after incapacitating an apparent intruder by firing several rounds into her body; he dragged the wounded and helpless young woman into the corner of his basement and administered a self-describe "kill-shot".

These two victims may have been addicted to prescription drugs. There is certainly evidence to suggest that they had been burglarizing area homes. In an ideal world; the drug addiction would be dealt with by treatment, and the burglaries would be dealt with by proportional legal penalties.

Breaking into someone's home carries the attendant risk of being arrested, or even of encountering an armed and frightened homeowner. However, there are never any circumstances under which the risks should include summary execution.
Well said! Thank you!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
The man had a right to defend his home. But, geez, was it really necessary to blow their brains out like something out of Pulp Fiction?
A lot of Americans just love gratuitous violence, so it's no surprise to see many defending the killer. They probably would've been even happier if the report said he tortured them for hours before killing them.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'll bet the guy gets off with a light sentence from a fed up jury.
I have to agree. In North East N.D. there was a funeral this week for three little kids, 13,10 & 6 yrs old. These little ones were killed along with their 64 year old Grand Mother just over a week ago by a young male home intruder. All shot and killed inside the home w/ a shot gun, by this intruder, who just hours later committed suicide. People are fed up. While no one supports cold blooded execution...The fact remains, if these two hadn't broken into this man's house, this wouldn't have happened. At least not that day, at his hands.

Last edited by JanND; 12-01-2012 at 10:27 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:

Maybe in liberal fairyland where every day is rainbows and unicorns. In the real world, if you break into a house, there is a very real risk you might get shot. They may not have "deserved" execution, but the risk was there.

This guy may have been crazy. That was the risk they accepted when they broke into his home.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I have to agree. In North East N.D. there was a funeral this week for three little kids, 13,10 & 6 yrs old. These little ones were killed along with their 64 year old Grand Mother just over a week ago by a young male home intruder. All shot and killed inside the home w/ a shot gun, by this intruder, who just hours later committed suicide. People are fed up. While no one supports cold blooded execution...The fact remains, if these two hadn't broken into this man's house, this wouldn't have happened. At least not that day, at his hands.
Yes -- most home invasions are extremely dangerous to the owners of the home.

It's interesting that so many are on this thread boo-hooing over the criminals who decided to do a home invasion and never seem to care at all about the innocent home owners and their children that are being killed in home invasions.

Many women are being raped, killed along with their children -- and no one cares about them -- but put out a story about some drug addicts getting killed while breaking in and robbing a home with the owner inside it and you get all the sobbers crying over them.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:26 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Maybe in liberal fairyland where every day is rainbows and unicorns. In the real world, if you break into a house, there is a very real risk you might get shot. They may not have "deserved" execution, but the risk was there.

This guy may have been crazy. That was the risk they accepted when they broke into his home.
Interesting that you make a bizarre reference to something you call "liberal fairyland", then re-state and agree with what I've obviously said in that portion of my post you've quoted.

Either you consider Smith's acts of murder to be wrong or you consider them to be justified. If it's the latter, quit the "they may not have deserved..." stuff. Just admit that you're fine with calculated, cold-blooded murder.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Interesting that you make a bizarre reference to something you call "liberal fairyland", then re-state and agree with what I've obviously said in that portion of my post you've quoted.

Either you consider Smith's acts of murder to be wrong or you consider them to be justified. If it's the latter, quit the "they may not have deserved..." stuff. Just admit that you're fine with calculated, cold-blooded murder.
So many people on this thread appear to be all in favor of it. Add in the people who apparently can't read for comprehension (or don't bother reading previous posts at all), and you see a fine selection of creepy people. I hope they are just hiding behind their internet anonymity, and don't seriously think it's okay to shoot someone in the head when they're down.

Or maybe they should apply for jobs as executioners.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is a sad story all around. First off, it sounds like this man has been harassed and stolen from before from previous articles on this story. But today he admitted to first shooting them after they broke in and then "finishing them off" after they were down.

The teens were not armed.

I feel bad for the kids who lost their lives, but at the same time they screwed up big time. Anyone should know you are risking your life when you break into someone's home.

But it almost seems that this man was hunting them and laying in wait.

Regardless of what side of the gun debate you are on, this is a very sad story.

Little Falls man describes 'finishing' teenagers with shots to heads - TwinCities.com
Why would you be so stupid to admit that you "finished them off". Gees, how stupid can you be? You make up some [reasonably believable] story about how you were so "freaked out" that after you shot her in the chest, you thought you saw her move and go for a weapon, and it was just a reflex action to shoot her again because you were FEARFUL FOR YOUR LIFE. Idiot.

Hey, you break into houses, you take what you get.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies