Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Come on... how many multi-millionaires pay "mortgage interest"? Do they honestly go borrow more millions and make a monthly payment to a lender?

I should have said non-homeowners OR the entitlement group.. neither of which pay mortgage interest..

Jeez... somebody get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or what?
Mark Zuckerberg's mortgage rate 1.05% - SFGate

Quote:
The Facebook founder refinanced a $5.95 million mortgage on his Palo Alto home with a 30-year adjustable-rate loan starting at 1.05 percent, according to public records for the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Are you being sarcastic? What millionaire would not pay mortgage interest?
Holding a mortgage only pays if you can invest that money that returns more than you are paying in interest.

Mortage rate is 4%. If you can find something returning 5% or 6% then it pays to have a mortgage because you can then invest that extra money and make money over and above what you are paying out.

Lots of wealth is in assets..not money sitting in the bank.

And that same principal applies to peons when deciding whether or not to pay off your mortgage.

You're paying out 4% in mortgage interest and have a stash of money in the bank earning 0.83%.
Pay off the mortgage because you are losing money each month.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Come on... how many multi-millionaires pay "mortgage interest"? Do they honestly go borrow more millions and make a monthly payment to a lender?

I should have said non-homeowners OR the entitlement group.. neither of which pay mortgage interest..

lol, that is your first mistake... you are assuming.

Obama is talking about people $250K and above. They are not multi-millionaires. People of all levels (except for poor) invest in real-estate for rental purposes. Most borrow money to buy the rental properties. That mortgage deduction is a factor that is taken into account when determining the amount of rent to charge.

People buy rental properties to "make money" and if their cost is increased they will charge higher rents to pay for the increase. Guess who really pays for it... the renter who can't afford to buy a house.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Are you being sarcastic? What millionaire would not pay mortgage interest?

Do you honestly think that Bill Gates has a mortgage on his home? Or Buffett? Or heck, even 1/2 of congress? I worked in mortgage lending for over 20 years, never once did I see any of the wealthiest in the town come in for a mortgage. The wealthy handed down their property from generation to generation. Or if they were buying new they paid cash. Not once did I see anyone come in and say, "I'm going to borrow 2 million on this home so I can make 20,000.00 monthly payments for 30 years, and end up paying 4 million plus for this house.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

Stop fixating on "millionaires". This "tax the rich" starts at $200K per year.
They don't buy homes and yachts for cash.

People keep forgetting this..$200K per year is the new RICH.
They will be taxed as much as the millionaires you know.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
lol, that is your first mistake... you are assuming.

Obama is talking about people $250K and above. They are not multi-millionaires. People of all levels (except for poor) invest in real-estate for rental purposes. Most borrow money to buy the rental properties. That mortgage deduction is taken into account. A landlord must pay for taxes, mortgage payments, insurances, upkeep etc.... People buy rental properties to "make money" and if their cost is increased they will charge higher rents to pay for the increase. Guess who really pays for it... the renter who can't afford to buy a house.

I'm a poor person and would like to invest in real estate for rental purposes. How can I do that?

I am SO tired of buying houses for my landlords. Shouldn't I be able to buy a house for me???

Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Quote:
Do you honestly think that Bill Gates has a mortgage on his home? Or Buffett? Or heck, even 1/2 of congress? I worked in mortgage lending for over 20 years, never once did I see any of the wealthiest in the town come in for a mortgage. The wealthy handed down their property from generation to generation. Or if they were buying new they paid cash. Not once did I see anyone come in and say, "I'm going to borrow 2 million on this home so I can make 20,000.00 monthly payments for 30 years, and end up paying 4 million plus for this house.
In case you missed it, not Gates, but still. And Buffett just based on his age alone shouldn't have a mortgage so that is a bad example.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Do you honestly think that Bill Gates has a mortgage on his home? Or Buffett? Or heck, even 1/2 of congress?
LOL, Obama says rich starts at $200K (single) / $250K (married). That is only 1/4 of a million but in Obama calls them millionaires and billionaires.

These are NOT the Bill Gates or the Buffetts.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
And the lower class don' t pay taxes. Hence, scrap the deduction.

??? I certainly do pay taxes and I'm in the bottom quintile. Where do you get your ideas?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Holding a mortgage only pays if you can invest that money that returns more than you are paying in interest.

Mortage rate is 4%. If you can find something returning 5% or 6% then it pays to have a mortgage because you can then invest that extra money and make money over and above what you are paying out.

Lots of wealth is in assets..not money sitting in the bank.

And that same principal applies to peons when deciding whether or not to pay off your mortgage.

You're paying out 4% in mortgage interest and have a stash of money in the bank earning 0.83%.
Pay off the mortgage because you are losing money each month.
There's lots of opportunity to make 5-6%. Also, keep in mind that the tax rate for investments (cap gains) is lower than ordinary income tax. You can deduce at the 35% rate, and pay the 15% rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies