Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The young couple doesn't have to worry. They are after the high income families.
Where do you get that from? We are talking about removing the mortgage interest deduction, so show me specifically how they wouldn't be impacted as I described and don't just wave your hands saying "they don't have to worry".

Give me specifics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I like where you're going with this.

A good portion of my income is capital gains and I've been paying 15% in taxes. I need to be grandfathered in or I'm going to be hit with an unexpected increase in taxes.
Minor changes to tax code, social security etc. are one thing.

MAJOR changes need to be phased in or allow for grandfathering etc.

It's just normal functioning in a society (other than in extreme cases where it can't be helped).
You just don't whipsaw the rules on everybody and say "tough luck".

Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

It's just normal functioning in a society (other than in extreme cases where it can't be helped).

I agree, but it has been done in the past. Clinton led a RETROACTIVE FIT increase back in the day and it killed the budgets of millions of families.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:

The expiration of the Obama cuts (formerly Bush cuts) have no provisions for transition.
*poof*..all gone.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times
This would affect other deductions such as donations. If people can't deduct mortgage interest, which is generally the highest deduction for many people, many will no longer be able to itemize which will affect how much they will donate. A real trickle down affect.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This would affect other deductions such as donations. If people can't deduct mortgage interest, which is generally the highest deduction for many people, many will no longer be able to itemize which will affect how much they will donate. A real trickle down affect.
Bingo...the standard deduction becomes the norm and the Treasury gets to keep the difference.

When I had a mortgage, it was that and property taxes that always put me over the standard deduction and by a good amount too.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
I don't foresee the deduction being grandfathered in, no way the state forgoes all the new revenue if it doesn't have to. Once it's sold by Obama to the lemmings it should be good to go.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

How about the states dump their income and sales taxes and shift it to property taxes and then deduct away state property taxes. I 'll even throw in a bone for those not working and raise interest rates to bring life into fixed income. Only one problem though is people still have no clue how the money system works. Largely it works like this. The middle class borrows money into existence and the rich take it and loan it to the government. Higher interest rates is going to be a problem for the middle class debt/money machine. The only way to raise interest rates is to increase deficits. However that makes bankers mad.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
WSJ: Fiscal-Cliff Fix May Cap Mortgage Deduction - Developments - WSJ

"However, any proposal to cap deductions—one level being discussed in policy circles at the moment is $35,000—is sure to lead to an intense outcry from the real-estate industry. It would represent a significant change to a longstanding policy of federal support for the housing market while the housing market is finally recovering from a severe recession.

“Doing anything to further chill the housing sector will retard the nascent recovery that we’re in right now,” said Jerry Howard, chief executive of the National Association of Home Builders...."

Realtors, where are you?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:

Harry wants to set phasers to 'stun'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies