Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:50 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times

Advertisements

If you should win, will you voluntarily give 90% to the US Treasury to help pay down the debt? After all, no one needs that much money, and you could live quite comfortably on $40 million.

Would you also NOT hire accountants in order to take advantage of current tax laws? For instance, would you refuse to pay the capital gains tax rate on investment income of 15% and voluntarily pay 35%?

Are you principled enough to start a business (regardless of profit) and pay "fair wages", full benefits, pensions and unionize?

I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 04:55 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If you should win, will you voluntarily give 90% to the US Treasury to help pay down the debt? After all, no one needs that much money, and you could live quite comfortably on $40 million.

Would you also NOT hire accountants in order to take advantage of current tax laws? For instance, would you refuse to pay the capital gains tax rate on investment income of 15% and voluntarily pay 35%?

Are you principled enough to start a business (regardless of profit) and pay "fair wages", full benefits, pensions and unionize?

I doubt it.
So, basically, you are offering a scenario in which I receive $40 million dollars for doing nothing?

I'm in!

Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
So, basically, you are offering a scenario in which I receive $40 million dollars for doing nothing?

I'm in!
I seriously doubt that you would voluntarily give away 90%.

Get real.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
What a straw man thread, which presumes that progressives believe that there should be a maximum amount of wealth one should have. This thread only proves that the OP doesn't know what progressives believe.

Progressives believe there should be a marginal tax system where rates increase as total income rises. It has nothing to to with what s being asserted.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Progressives believe there should be a marginal tax system where rates increase as total income rises. .
Why?
Just cuz?
Imagine a country not in debt. You would still advocate this?
Just cuz?
You people talk about revenue problems when what we really have is a spending problem.
And you don't really have a good reason for a radically progressive tax system besides, "Oh, they can afford it." You don't just do something because you can or just because people can bear it.
You have to have an actual good reason.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:32 AM

No, if you really look at the numbers instead of parroting right-wing talking points, you will see that the economic downturn reduced tax revenue by hundreds of billions and the same downturn also caused more automatic spending on Medicaid, unemployment insurance and other social services. It sounds like you want to cut unemployment insurance payments as the number of unemployed rises, which makes no sense.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why?
Just cuz?
Imagine a country not in debt. You would still advocate this?
Just cuz?
You people talk about revenue problems when what we really have is a spending problem.
And you don't really have a good reason for a radically progressive tax system besides, "Oh, they can afford it." You don't just do something because you can or just because people can bear it.
You have to have an actual good reason.
No, if you really look at the numbers instead of parroting right-wing talking points, you will see that the economic downturn reduced tax revenue by hundreds of billions and the same downturn also caused more automatic spending on Medicaid, unemployment insurance and other social services. It sounds like you want to cut unemployment insurance payments as the number of unemployed rises, which makes no sense.

The idea that the progressive tax system is a radical new invention, when it has been the accepted tax policy for 100 years just shows how off the deep end the right- wing as gone.

I don't need to justify why progressive tax systems are good ideas. That battle as been fought and won decades ago.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Sure, I'm in. Not like i will ever win it anyway and I would be happy with 40mil.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:53 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

Get real.
WHERE/WHEN has anyone proposed a 90% tax rate?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
Quote:

Get real.
Which is why making up hypotheticals is so satisfying (and pointless), nobody can prove you wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies