Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy2011 View Post
I was told that U.S abandoned and withdrawn all troops from South VN, cut off all aid sources in the middle of the way. Is it true ? If was so, Why ?

After war, many Vietnamese officers suicided themself when Vietcong was taking over South Vietnam.
Yes, we reneged on our promised support to South Vietnam. It was the North Vietnamese Army that took over South Vietnam, not the Viet Cong. The Viet Cong had been marginalized by the end of the war, and were finaly pushed out of the picture entirely. The Viet Cong were real losers in Vietnam. They did a lot of the fighting and dying and ended up with no voice at all in the new united Vietnam government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM

179 posts, read 261,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
I don't know but the veterans who served in Vietnam are some of the greatest heroes this nation has ever known and bravest warriors in the history of mankind. To disrespect them in anyway is anti-american and should be met with the utmost hostility.
They are heroes. I admire, respect them always. Also I feel so sorry for them who went through, sacrificed a lots, and who were passed away in the battle.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Yes, we reneged on our promised support to South Vietnam. It was the North Vietnamese Army that took over South Vietnam, not the Viet Cong. The Viet Cong had been marginalized by the end of the war, and were finaly pushed out of the picture entirely. The Viet Cong were real losers in Vietnam. They did a lot of the fighting and dying and ended up with no voice at all in the new united Vietnam government.
Totally agree. You make me crying now since my father and many my uncles were there. In fact, Pham Van Dong sold a part of Vietnam land and occean to China, so Vietcong could get aid for weapons and food, medicine etc ... to fight with U.S troops and South VN. Right now, China is taking over these and Vietnamese gov't has to give up with no any condition.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy2011 View Post
They are heroes. I admire, respect them always. Also I feel so sorry for them who went through, sacrificed a lots, and who were passed away in the battle.
I know that Vietnam combat veterans will appreciate the high regard in which you hold them, but I also know that they had a very high regard for those who fought in Korea and WW2.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The anti communist hysteria in the USA since 1945 has cost the nation dearly. This obsession was so delusional that it could mistake an anti colonial movement by the Vietnamese to reclaim their own country as part of the world wide communist attempt to take over the world.

When the Brits and the French lost their empires after WW2, why did the USA decide to step in and become the NEW colonial POWER??????? It was clear by then that colonialism had had it's day and it was time to move forward toward a new structure in world affairs. This continuation of colonialism by the USA has probably set world progress back by at least 50 years.

Apparently we haven't learned from the history of the fall of other empires. Furthermore, I feel bad for the troops that were sent over there because of our foreign policy, and then when they get home are treated like second class citizens.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Apparently we haven't learned from the history of the fall of other empires. Furthermore, I feel bad for the troops that were sent over there because of our foreign policy, and then when they get home are treated like second class citizens.
Yes. It was a national disgrace how they were treated when they came home.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I know that Vietnam combat veterans will appreciate the high regard in which you hold them, but I also know that they had a very high regard for those who fought in Korea and WW2.
Finally, why did US help South Korea until the end, but not South Vietnam ?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You, of course, are being ridiculous. The US forces initially deployed to South Vietnam, were advisors in a purely defensive, non combative posture. They were attacked by the Viet Cong and North Vietnam.

The treaty between the US and South Vietnam, like South Korea, was a mutual defense treaty, in which an attack on one nation would be viewed as an attack on both.

Both treaties were through a Democratic Congress and Senate. You insinuation that the US recklessly attacks other nations without provocation is absurd.
Absurd is every Liberals middle name.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Yes, by a bunch of liberal swine.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:

Keep in mind, I'm not against the troops. I am against the policies that put them in harms way. In Vietnam, a lot didn't have a choice, and were drafted, but yet even today with military service being voluntary, I still don't advocate using them to fight other country's wars. At any rate, it is completely disgraceful as to how those who came back from Vietnam were treated. I know that if I were around back then, I would have protested the war as well, but would have never went along with those who spit in the face of the troops, and called them baby killer ect...ect..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies