Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Well, Obama and his admin have been going thru the budget "line by line" looking for waste, fraud, abuse, and under performing programs, for almost four years now. They should have a ready list of cuts to federal spending.... unless he was lying back in 2009, again.
You mean like how they found $500B in wasteful spending in Medicare and Conservatives tried to turn it into an attack ad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Easy - true liberals don't actually care about the debt or deficit. The are certainly Democrats who care about it, but the true-believer liberals (i.e. Krugman) genuinely don't see either issue as a problem.
Apparently neither do Rightwing Chickhawks:

"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. We won the mid-term elections, this is our due. " - VP Dick Cheney to Paul O'Neill, then Treasury Secretary

Ken

Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Easy - true liberals don't actually care about the debt or deficit. The are certainly Democrats who care about it, but the true-believer liberals (i.e. Krugman) genuinely don't see either issue as a problem.
I am a libertarian and I don't care about the deficit, like you do, because I am not an idiot. However then again I should not assume most people even know the difference between increasing deficits and spending.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Apparently neither do Rightwing Chickhawks:

"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. We won the mid-term elections, this is our due. " - VP Dick Cheney to Paul O'Neill, then Treasury Secretary

Ken
I don't disagree. Most Republicans are now big government conservatives.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree. Most Republicans are now big government conservatives.
The deficit has nothing to do with the size of government. A bare bones libertarian state, that still used a state money system, could very well run large deficits without so much as putting in a stop sign.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You do see, don't you, that a 15% VAT raises $1.2 trillion.
We shouldn't appropriate $1.2 trillion out of the private sector economy right now, unless you want to plunge into a deflationary spiral.

Quote:
A 20% cut in spending is MINIMAL compared to what will be needed in the future, if nothing is done.
No cuts are "needed". Cuts for the sake of cutting , or for the sake of balancing the budget, does nothing to "Save the economy," or even improve it.

Cuts are only a good thing to the extent that they specifically cut waste; you don't grow the economy by cutting government indiscriminately simply to reduce debt levels. The United States is an autonomous issuer of currency, we don't run out of money.

Quote:
I love your response. The idiocy of "spend as usual" assures the destruction of the US.
No, it doesn't. This is garbage economics.

The risk of government spending is inflation, that's all. And right now, with the collapsing real estate bubble, cooling Chinese economy, and European austerity, we're in an environment of global deflation.

Quote:
There is no way that we can keep spending at these levels and expect to survive as a nation.
Watch us. This fear you have is rooted in obsolete economics, back when dollars were convertible to gold. That's ancient history.

Last edited by le roi; 11-29-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Gullibility. That's the new meaning of being a liberal.

And I responded to your post with this.

I noticed you didn't have a response. All you have is a "plan" provided by the White House.

LOL

I'll ask you again. With no budget for the past 4 years, and none in the foreseeable future, how do you expect this "plan" to be implemented?

Gullible. The Presidnt puts a "plan" out there for public consumption and the minions feast on it for days. Downright, disgustingly gullible.
You ignore the whole plan and expect people to keep accepting your whims? Now, I don't doubt that y'all excel in running around shamelessly, it is why I never seem to miss opportunities to send these reminders regularly.

You've been presented with the plan, of which the $80 billion or so is only a small part of it. Now, you may resume your whine and cry about your perceptions of lack of liberals/progressive plans only limited by your personal capacities.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You do see, don't you, that a 15% VAT raises $1.2 trillion.
The government prints money. It has all the buying power it wants. Taxing in $1.2 trillion removes buying power from the public and nothing more. That means the only buying power will come from bank credit. So your plan must be more credit card usage I guess. Its hell raising. VAT is the nightmare of all tax systems favored by oppressive, centralized governments and fanciers who want to shift all taxes off their debt and financial instruments and onto production.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
The government prints money. It has all the buying power it wants. Taxing in $1.2 trillion removes buying power from the public and nothing more. That means the only buying power will come from bank credit. So your plan must be more credit card usage I guess. Its hell raising. VAT is the nightmare of all tax systems favored by oppressive, centralized governments and fanciers who want to shift all taxes off their debt and financial instruments and onto production.
Printing money reduces buying power via inflation. It also increases borrowing rates since lenders know that the government is likely to print its way out of debt.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
We shouldn't appropriate $1.2 trillion out of the private sector economy right now, unless you want to plunge into a deflationary spiral.

No cuts are "needed". Cuts for the sake of cutting , or for the sake of balancing the budget, does nothing to "Save the economy," or even improve it.

Cuts are only a good thing to the extent that they specifically cut waste; you don't grow the economy by cutting government indiscriminately simply to reduce debt levels. The United States is an autonomous issuer of currency, we don't run out of money.

No, it doesn't. This is garbage economics.

The risk of government spending is inflation, that's all. And right now, with the collapsing real estate bubble, cooling Chinese economy, and European austerity, we're in an environment of global deflation.

Watch us. This fear you have is rooted in obsolete economics, back when dollars were convertible to gold. That's ancient history.

Wow-

This is interesting. So, in spite of the fact that federal spending has increased dramatically under Obama, you are perfectly comfortable with spending to oblivion? You seem perfectly comfortable "taxing the rich" (which does nothing).

I am watching. I also know what happened in Mexico, Argentian, Zimbawe, the Weimar Republic, and the Ottoman Empire.

Apparently you should read more economics. The champion of your economic philosophy (Stiglitz- a Nobel Prize winner), has no answers when debt exceeds 200% GDP. Do you have answers? Obama's $10 trillion coins?

It is easy to see how we got into this mess and how Obama was re-elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies