Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:17 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times

Advertisements

The whole fiscal cliff thoing is a invention of washington politics. It is sold as a soltuio if avoided to out deficit problems. But eve it is only a down payemnt. ny avoidance with be even less.The real figures are contained i Simpson/Bowles commissio as to what we are facing. its the only proposal that puts us on a sustainable deficit future. Everythig else proposed by both sides is a smoke screen of kicking the can down the road and continuing on the unsustanable path we are on to the greek solution i nthe future.We hae already been told the estimate of automatic benefit cuts comig i the future if progrma satys the same.IT is off limits accord to some ;so it is likely to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 03:32 PM

88,801 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
they expect to raise the taxes on the middle class, everyone that makes between 40k-250k.
Yep Beginning with their 401k's:
Amid Tax Talks, a Cry of 'Save My 401(k)!' - US Business News - CNBC

Obama and the Dems won re-election and are now free to tax the middle class. Plan accordingly.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 PM

10,823 posts, read 14,900,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Higher taxes on the wealthy are estimated to bring in an additional $82 Billion annually. Since liberals are hell-bent on seeing this tax increase come to fruition, how do they intend to raise the other $1,000,000,000,000 in deficit for Fiscal Year 2013 and beyond?

Even more important, do liberals understand why the argument for higher income taxes on those making $250K and above is wholly and completely irrelevant compared to the outstanding trillion dollar deficit?

$82B is enough money to pay the interest on the national debt for 8 days.

Does this even register? Or are you just happy that Barack Obama won the election and everything else is irrelevant?
It doesn't matter, they won and the ignorant now rule.

If I were a republican leader I would say give Obama and his rabble EVERYTHING they ask for and I mean everything. They want a 99% tax on the rich? Give it to em.

Please, let them OWN the results because nobody will wake up until it collapses like Greece.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
Quote:
Nice deflection.

Now, what exactly do you propose we do to eliminate the deficit since Obama's main campaign pledge doesn't do anything to reduce the deficit or the debt?

Remember, money is fungible. An $82B increase in revenues is not guaranteed to go towards deficit reduction. As I mentioned, that amount would only pay the interest on the debt for 8 days while making zero impact on actual deficits. And that's assuming that it's actually used to pay for interest on the debt. It could be spent on yet another government program.

Were you dooped again? Were you not paying attention? Or do you simply not care?
What can i do about it? about the same as you can do about it, absolutely nothing. Difference is i wont be all stressed out about it and having a daily hissy fit on the forum for the next 4 years calling for others to some how fix it, Unless you want to get into government where you could bring meaningful legislation to the floor, your basic contribution is one vote every 4 years.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,084,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What can i do about it? about the same as you can do about it, absolutely nothing. Difference is i wont be all stressed out about it and having a daily hissy fit on the forum for the next 4 years calling for others to some how fix it, Unless you want to get into government where you could bring meaningful legislation to the floor, your basic contribution is one vote every 4 years.
I'll go out on a limb and make the assumption that your "one vote every 4 years" was cast for Barack Obama, which effectively means that you support the President's policies, which has been demonstrated to not only do nothing to reign in the deficit, but is guaranteed to increase it.

Is there any chance you might explain why you support these policies in light of the very serious financial situation we are in?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,099,422 times
Quote:
Higher taxes on the wealthy are estimated to bring in an additional $82 Billion annually. Since liberals are hell-bent on seeing this tax increase come to fruition, how do they intend to raise the other $1,000,000,000,000 in deficit for Fiscal Year 2013 and beyond?

Even more important, do liberals understand why the argument for higher income taxes on those making $250K and above is wholly and completely irrelevant compared to the outstanding trillion dollar deficit?

Does this even register? Or are you just happy that Barack Obama won the election and everything else is irrelevant?
Hopefully, by ending the cash orgy in Iraq & Afghanistan, and cutting back the Pentagon's budget.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,084,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Hopefully, by ending the cash orgy in Iraq & Afghanistan, and cutting back the Pentagon's budget.
I appreciate you taking a stab at it, albeit it limited in scope. I'm not an expert on budget line items, but I don't believe the wars will equalize the deficit issue. Where else are you willing to compromise on the deficit/debt?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,099,422 times
Quote:
I appreciate you taking a stab at it, albeit it limited in scope. I'm not an expert on budget line items, but I don't believe the wars will equalize the deficit issue. Where else are you willing to compromise on the deficit/debt?
Farm subsidies and European military bases, but I'd also support cutting corporate taxes to 15~20% in exchange for a multi-million tax bracket w/ a +50% tax rate.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Farm subsidies and European military bases, but I'd also support cutting corporate taxes to 15~20% in exchange for a multi-million tax bracket.
80% of the Farm Bill goes to food stamps.
Should be renamed the Food Stamp Bill really.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,431,878 times
Quote:

It's not going to do much help at all but, if the repubs keep fighting, then Obama doesn't have to make tough decisions that are unpopular and he can just keep blaming the repubs for blocking the tax increase to the rich....as if that was the whole solution to fixing the whole problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies