Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Yes, of course. But that is up to them. You are responsible for the choices that you make, as am I. If you don't make a lot of money, don't spend $6/day at Starbucks and have a $200/month cell phone bill and then claim that you don't make a "livable wage". Live within in your means and make some sacrifices for a little while.
I know housekeepers that had a cheap flip phone, didn't drink at Starbucks, and struggled to put food on their table for their family. I think you are confusing those who say they are "broke" with the people who are actually working class poor in our country. As for life choices, not everyone can be a high paid CEO, someone is always going to be needed to clean the toilets, but those people at the bottom should not have to live off government assistance if they are working a 40hr a week job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Actually, a couple made no mention of spending cuts. Some people actually do not believe that we have a spending problem. I just don't get it.
"A couple" would mean that "most" liberals in here do support spending cuts.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM

561 posts, read 1,179,841 times
Quote:
That's why I like, support and agree with your idea of incentivizing companies that do not ship jobs overseas; tax breaks and less regulations and red tape.
Companies already get these advantages in a country called China (among others). Unless you want us to work for $2-3/hour, tax breaks and reduced regulations won't do anything. There's absolutely no way we can reduce costs of business as low as they are in China and other developing countries.

We need to go the route of Germany: Increase educations, especially apprenticeships that teach practical, complex skills that are in demand. German did this by creating a partnership between business, government, and unions.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
Companies already get these advantages in a country called China (among others). Unless you want us to work for $2-3/hour, tax breaks and reduced regulations won't do anything. There's absolutely no way we can reduce costs of business as low as they are in China and other developing countries.

We need to go the route of Germany: Increase educations, especially apprenticeships that teach practical, complex skills that are in demand. German did this by creating a partnership between business, government, and unions.
And to add to that, we need to separate healthcare from employment to make it easier for one to start a business and to expand their business.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:16 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
cut military spending, end wars, cut corporate subsidies increase taxes on the wealthy. pretty simple really

Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
cut military spending, end wars, cut corporate subsidies increase taxes on the wealthy. pretty simple really
Not if your wealthy or have stock in Black Water or KBR.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
My solution? Let the economy heal, which will naturally raise incomes (and thus tax revenue) and reduce social spending. After that, make cuts to Medicare and Social Security. Or find some immediate way to make medical care not so jaw-droppingly expensive in this country.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:12 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
What is your specific solution to solve the debt and deficit? I think you are so damn selfish to reelect Obama; convince me otherwise.

Conservatives have zero interest in fixing the debt or the deficit. They don't care about either. What is most important to conservatives is low taxes, defense spending, followed by cutting benefits to the takers, anything else is just a talking point.

I don't care about the national debt. To decrease budget deficits you need a growing economy, increased revenues/taxes and slowing the growth of medicare and medicaid expenses.

I'd slow the growth primarily with spending cuts to doctors and hospitals.

We do those three things, we will have budget surpluses.

That is all it will take. No magical solutions.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:19 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
Does that include the Chevy Volt and Solyndra?

Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Conservatives have zero interest in fixing the debt or the deficit. They don't care about either. What is most important to conservatives is low taxes, defense spending, followed by cutting benefits to the takers, anything else is just a talking point.

I don't care about the national debt.
To decrease budget deficits you need a growing economy, increased revenues/taxes and slowing the growth of medicare and medicaid expenses.

I'd slow the growth primarily with spending cuts to doctors and hospitals.

We do those three things, we will have budget surpluses.

That is all it will take. No magical solutions.
I am speechless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies