Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And every liberal that has posted on this thread has said we need modest tax hikes with cuts in spending across the board, like to the military and medicare and SS by increasing the age you can get onto those two programs. As well as a number of other suggested cuts.
No they haven't. However, let's look at what a spending cut, to a liberal politician, seems to be:

So far, the Democrats have used nothing but accounting tricks to back their definition of cutting spending. They haven't actually cut spending, just the proposed spending. To say this is cutting spending is the equivalent of the wife coming home and exclaiming to her husband "I just made you $100" because the shoes she just bought were on sale 1/2 price.

Also, adding $6T to the debt in just four years makes even a modest cut in spending pointless, and a cut to future spending fiscal treason.

Once we (all of us) can agree to define a cut as a bottom-line cut, then we can call it a reduction in spending. Until then, we'll continue to go deeper in debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:26 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I am speechless.
I don't care, and neither do conservatives, that is why when we had budget surpluses instead of conservatives saying lets use that money to pay off our national debt, they cut taxes instead. If you weren't opposed to those tax cuts and demanding that our budget surpluses be used to pay down the debt then you don't care either.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:36 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Conservatives have zero interest in fixing the debt or the deficit. They don't care about either. What is most important to conservatives is low taxes, defense spending, followed by cutting benefits to the takers, anything else is just a talking point.

I don't care about the national debt. To decrease budget deficits you need a growing economy, increased revenues/taxes and slowing the growth of medicare and medicaid expenses.

I'd slow the growth primarily with spending cuts to doctors and hospitals.

We do those three things, we will have budget surpluses.

That is all it will take. No magical solutions.
"I don't care about the national debt" is honest, and also very troublesome.

I wouldn't know where to begin. Maybe you should brush up on tort reform and then expand from there. Cutting payments to doctors and hospitals won't fix anything, and frankly, I'm not even sure how to interpret this logic. Obamacare is cutting payments to doctors and insurers, and now they (doctors) are declining new medicare patients. How does driving doctors bankrupt and having a sick populous solve anything?

Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
"I don't care about the national debt" is honest, and also very troublesome.

I wouldn't know where to begin. Maybe you should brush up on tort reform and then expand from there. Cutting payments to doctors and hospitals won't fix anything, and frankly, I'm not even sure how to interpret this logic. Obamacare is cutting payments to doctors and insurers, and now they (doctors) are declining new medicare patients. How does driving doctors bankrupt and having a sick populous solve anything?
I don't care, and neither do conservatives. We had budget surpluses and unless you were demanding that we use our budget surpluses to pay down the debt then you don't care either.

Paying doctors and hospitals less will not bankrupt them. Stop lying. It will solve the problem of growing medicare and medicaid expense, and doctors will see the patients. Believe whatever you want.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
20% across the board cuts and 10% across the board tax increase.
That's fair isn't it ?

That doesn't do it. We would still have annual deficits of $600 billion. Try again.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Conservatives have zero interest in fixing the debt or the deficit. They don't care about either. What is most important to conservatives is low taxes, defense spending, followed by cutting benefits to the takers, anything else is just a talking point.

I don't care about the national debt. To decrease budget deficits you need a growing economy, increased revenues/taxes and slowing the growth of medicare and medicaid expenses.

I'd slow the growth primarily with spending cuts to doctors and hospitals.

We do those three things, we will have budget surpluses.

That is all it will take. No magical solutions.

"Spending cuts to doctors and hospitals"?

You do realize, don't you, that most of us are poised to drop medicare if the proposed 30% cuts in medicare (set to go into effect Jan 1st) actually occur?

We break even on medicare currently and will simply stop seeing medicare. We currently see essentially zero medicaid. Why in the world would anyone bankrupt thier practice with marked reimbursement cuts?

Your "solutions" would not only be completely ineffective, generate essentially no revenue, and would have a deleterious effect on the economy.

In order to really cut deficits we need

15% VAT
balanced budget amendment
20% cut across the board in spending
10% annual revenues earmarked for debt reduction

There you go- problem solved. NO POLITICIAN will do what is necessary, therefore the nation is finished. Obama's election insured this end; this will be best in the end, as it will result in the "Balkanization" of the US, much like what happened in the old USSR. Let's get it over with quickly and let Obama finish off the nation.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"Spending cuts to doctors and hospitals"?

You do realize, don't you, that most of us are poised to drop medicare if the proposed 30% cuts in medicare (set to go into effect Jan 1st) actually occur?

We break even on medicare currently and will simply stop seeing medicare. We currently see essentially zero medicaid. Why in the world would anyone bankrupt thier practice with marked reimbursement cuts?

Your "solutions" would not only be completely ineffective, generate essentially no revenue, and would have a deleterious effect on the economy.

In order to really cut deficits we need

15% VAT
balanced budget amendment
20% cut across the board in spending
10% annual revenues earmarked for debt reduction

There you go- problem solved. NO POLITICIAN will do what is necessary, therefore the nation is finished. Obama's election insured this end; this will be best in the end, as it will result in the "Balkanization" of the US, much like what happened in the old USSR. Let's get it over with quickly and let Obama finish off the nation.
The whole medical profession is government subsidized and paid for.

They'll take less money, complain but get over it.

Your solutions would destroy the economy, would leave millions without medical coverage, social security, etc.

These are things the public doesn't want.

No we pay our doctors and hospitals much more then those professions earn in other nations. The whole medical profession is subsidized by the government exists on the basis of direct government money and government subsidies.

Like I said some physicians will lie and whine, but most will see they can still make a great living and see those patients.

Raising taxes, growing the economy, and slowing down the growth of medicare and medicaid would get rid of budget deficits.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:12 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
What is your specific solution to solve the debt and deficit? I think you are so damn selfish to reelect Obama; convince me otherwise.

Raise taxes, cut spending.

And, the selfish thing is just sour grapes on your part.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:20 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Raise taxes, cut spending.

And, the selfish thing is just sour grapes on your part.
Sour grapes?

Those grapes turned to "whine" long ago.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Neoprog is a well known and very accurate term. Neocon, neo prog. A progressive was always a term that was never very accurate so a better one had to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies