Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 03:06 PM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There is no logical reason to be against its MORALLY.... but in terms of whether or not marriage can actually be expanded and work among more than two people.... I just don't see how it can work.

Again, first step: Figure out if it can even be done, and then second step: Argue if it SHOULD be done.

Legalize it, regulate it, tax it.
Touche, like Marijana should be and alcohol and tobacco are. Have the taxes pay for education, social programs and infrastructure.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Polygamy and prostitution are stigmatized in our society and illegal in most places, just like homosexual behavior once was. There is growing evidence that promiscuity among humans (especially males) is inborn and genetic.

So, shouldn't plural marriage and paying for sex be considered civil rights issues?
Not sure about "civil rights issues", but neither should be against the law.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:30 PM

502 posts, read 717,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Polygamy and prostitution are stigmatized in our society and illegal in most places, just like homosexual behavior once was. There is growing evidence that promiscuity among humans (especially males) is inborn and genetic.

So, shouldn't plural marriage and paying for sex be considered civil rights issues?
Liberals will never directly advocate polygamy or prostitution since it would fly in the face of women's rights. Feminists hate prostitution.

Some of the more radical lefties and feminists have already advocated polyandry, although, I doubt this will ever gain enough universal acclaim on the left to become a civil rights movement either.

What I do expect to see liberals go after next is simply the elimination of the concept of commited, life-long marriages altogether in favor of polyamory. If you read the blogs, postings, etc. of many young leftists, feminists and social justice geeks, this is really where their hearts are at. How they will go about turning it into a civil rights movement and painting anyone who believes in faithfulness and exclusive commitment as a social bigot will be interesting. I think it will start with trying to make infidelity okay for women and play the chauvinist/sexist card against anyone who disagrees. It will carry on for men as well under the guise of "open relationships", "love freedom", or some other catch phrase.

Last edited by fightforlove; 11-29-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 03:37 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Liberals will never directly advocate polygamy or prostitution
Liberal here directly advocating for polyamory and prostitution.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 PM

502 posts, read 717,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Liberal here directly advocating for polyamory and prostitution.
See, what'd I tell ya?!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Liberals will never directly advocate polygamy or prostitution since it would fly in the face of women's rights. Feminists hate prostitution.
There is some truth in this, but it's unfair to foot the entire blame on liberals: Most conservatives oppose legalizing prostitution for religious reasons.

I consider myself about about 70% libertarian, 20% liberal, 10% conservative, and am all for legalizing prostitution, SSM, and polyandry/polygamy.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
How so? Is polygamy a trait or a life choice? Being gay is a trait. Unless everybody share that trait voting on a right for. JUST gay people while straight people receive it is not constitutional.
There is no reason why government should tell me who and how many I can marry. Gay's just want special privileges.

Plural marriage is a life choice just like SSM.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Polygamy and prostitution are life choices."

Maybe not. Certainly not just because you say so.

Kinda naive to think there might not be a plural marriage gene ... maybe they will find it before they find the gay gene.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
And I'm sure there are plenty who would AGREE with me.

As I said, I have no gripe with either prostitution or multiple marriage arrangements. The problem comes when women are FORCED into such arrangements (and often thereafter abused). Different societies have different social structures.

Ken

But it's no different than being forced into any other arrangement and often abused.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
T

Legalize it, regulate it, tax it.
Legalize it, don't regulate it, don't tax it. we already pay too much taxes and have too many regulations in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies