U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:20 PM

39,116 posts, read 40,462,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

"Climate warming does not force sea-level rise at the same rate everywhere. Rather there are spatial variations superimposed on global average rise." The Atlantic seaboard contains "hot spots", areas of faster than average sea level rise, as shown on the following map. The yellow and orange circles indicate hot spots for rising sea-levels based on data from 1950-2009.

The rate of sea-level rise in the atlantic northeast hotspot were 3 to 4 times higher than the global average. The map below on the left is for 1950 to 2009 and on the far right from 1970 to 2009.
But the raw data shows the rate it's rising is variable over a given time period. What's you thoughts on the Battery data? I like using this station because the data goes back to 1860.

Does this graph indicate that it's cyclical? In any event the rate it's going up passed the mean just a bit before 1990 and if rate is cyclical we are approaching the apex. Yes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 AM

10,357 posts, read 7,926,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Total BS......... I can't see how you and anyone can read this and think it can be true....... All water seeks it's own level....... if there were no wind and no currents the ocean would be dead level every where.

Maybe the tide is stronger or weaker in places but that has nothing to do with sea level period..

You can't and no one else can demonstrate this is true. To try would work as well as filling a bucket that has no bottom.... No one can do it....
I see what you're saying, and intuitively that makes sense. But according to the article I cited:

The variations in sea level "are forced by dynamic processes arising from circulation and variations in temperature and/or salinity, and by static equilibrium processes, arising from mass redistributions changing gravity and the Earth’s rotation and shape. " ----- but I'm not the person who can explain what all that means. (!)

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journ...imate1597.html

Old 12-01-2012, 07:00 AM

62,355 posts, read 34,011,071 times

Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 AM

19,122 posts, read 22,115,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i live on an island all me life, i see no!! i say, i see no!!! i say i see no sea level rise. high tide and low tide are the same as 40 years ago. i used to live at the beach, i know i built one...

these beaples are yankin your chains...
Of course I don't know if you are serious, and you have lived on a island for most of your life, but I know I am serious and live on the coast, and for 6 decades there has been no increase in the salt water.

If there was I would know. I would be able to see things I know about like roads a causeways go under water....

Al Gore and his quazzi so called science are BS. Al is a BS er too.

These fools think sea level can very, but so far there is not one bit of proof the water does not seek it's own level.
That is a scientific FACT.

This comes as no wonder to me since the far left has always had a bad case of 'Chicken Little' where there is always the sky falling somewhere.

The whole life style of the left is based on Bambi World in the first place. Everything is pretend, and I mean everything.

With out CO2 all plants would die and then were would be up ships creek with out a paddle because with out plants there would be no O2. But you can't tell that to a CO 2 breathing lefty.

Show me the WATER

Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 AM

19,122 posts, read 22,115,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I see what you're saying, and intuitively that makes sense. But according to the article I cited:

The variations in sea level "are forced by dynamic processes arising from circulation and variations in temperature and/or salinity, and by static equilibrium processes, arising from mass redistributions changing gravity and the Earth’s rotation and shape. " ----- but I'm not the person who can explain what all that means. (!)

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journ...imate1597.html
The article is BS that's what..... It isn't you that is wrong it IS the article, and you should be smart enough tio know the article is wrong......

It IS..... I run into wrong books every day........ I am a x foreign car tech and a master mechanic. In tech books for all my life so far i find errors. One of the best was in a book on 1953 Chrysler 331 cu in marine engines where one engine turned clockwise and the other turned counter clock wise, but the book had the same firing order for both..

There was 0 other information the book was printed by Chrysler. This happens all the time and I have never found any tech book with out error.

But this salt water BS is total hog wash. All water seeks it's own level period. Sure you cab stir it up, you can run it down a river over big rocks and it will rise up and boil, you can blow it into big waves and with currents and enough wind you can stack it up 100 feet high, and make a rogue wave

See I doing the impossible I am exceeding hull speed, and moving at about 17 knots, and making a OMG wake
and I have raised the water level in the lake by the amount of water it takes to displace the canoe.

At around 7 PM in summer on a average night you better be where you wanna be or you will be paddlin because that lake lays down to be glass smooth and dead level flat.

That is a real scientific fact and i don't need another scientist to prove it. I can prove it myself.

Now for those who can stack up the water I want to see pictures i can tell are real pictures. I say it can't be done with out a ice cube tray and some cold temps..

Sure fresh water and salt water vary until they are mixed....

Ships that travel in both waters have markings in both types of water as salt water is more dense and ships will sit up more in salt water than they will in fresh.

But that isn't any height of sea level change.....

The great lakes are above sea level, but they don't change sea level either.... Some of the great lakes are growing larger, and have since Paleo Days. There are Paleo sights now under water in the great lakes....

So is the great lakes level rising due to melting ice? No
The land was crushed down and is slowly rising in rebound.

15,000 years ago which is a blink in time Wooly Mammouth and Mastadon wandered 400 miles east of Boston... In the last decade teeth from each have been dregged up.

Trust me that if a people like us lived back then, things would have been a Natural Disaster, because silly man builds on sand bars, and tries to shovel the sea back into the hole called ocean.... But back then Euro would have been about 1,000 miles closer.

At this point you could probably melt the rest of the water locked up in ice and that wouldn't change sea level for squat to be more.

This is just a line of BS ......... Not a fact in it.... next it will get colder and people will blame colder on MMGW too, and glaciers might just shove NYC back into the sea, but that will be tough, since the sea might be 200 miles east from where it is now.......

here is a fact

this is proof

Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 AM

13,624 posts, read 11,010,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Of course I don't know if you are serious, and you have lived on a island for most of your life, but I know I am serious and live on the coast, and for 6 decades there has been no increase in the salt water.

If there was I would know. I would be able to see things I know about like roads a causeways go under water....

Al Gore and his quazzi so called science are BS. Al is a BS er too.

These fools think sea level can very, but so far there is not one bit of proof the water does not seek it's own level.
That is a scientific FACT.

This comes as no wonder to me since the far left has always had a bad case of 'Chicken Little' where there is always the sky falling somewhere.

The whole life style of the left is based on Bambi World in the first place. Everything is pretend, and I mean everything.

With out CO2 all plants would die and then were would be up ships creek with out a paddle because with out plants there would be no O2. But you can't tell that to a CO 2 breathing lefty.

Show me the WATER

i was not joking!!! i live on an island all my life.. and yes i did build a beach to attract beavers, not the four legged ones i'm talking two legged bald ones...

and like i said in the other post, i see no see level rise..

Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,387,118 times
Good thing it's not the Republicans in control.

This way the liberals will say it's not the government's fault in any way, there's nothing Obama and the democrats can do to stop global warming.

If the Republicans were in control, then they would be blamed.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:31 PM

8,096 posts, read 4,673,681 times
I keep trying to figure out why I give a crap.

Look, its 3.2 mm a year over the last 20 years. We had a couple years where it increased rapidly then fell back, so the average level over a longer period might be closer to the expect figure of about 2 mm a year.

Regardless, at 3.2 mm a year, that's about a one foot rise in sea levels over the course of 100 years. Even if sea levels actually did rise by one foot over 100 years, its true effects will only be over a small number of people, who will have plenty of time to address the issue. I simply don't care.

The only people that I can possible see having problems, would be Bangladesh, only because there are so many people there, and they are so poor. But, I still don't see it as a real long-term problem. Sorry.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:36 PM

35 posts, read 58,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
So adding heat trapping gases to the atmosphere doesn't trap more heat?
Are you asking him to prove a negative? I call argumentum ad ignorantium on this one.

Is the earth a closed system?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 PM

9,519 posts, read 7,744,423 times
I am not going to bother reading all the posts, those on each side are just parroting the same old things anyway.
However, I certainly DO have some questions:
1. IF "global warming" or "climate change" is factual (note that I am not saying it is or isn't), WHY are the various world governments not advocating doing something to adapt to the potentially inevitable changes that will occur?
2. IF "global warming" or "climate change" is factual, CAN it be stopped?
3. If so, why haven't the various governments done whatever it takes to stop it?
4. If it can NOT be stopped, see question #1
5. what happened to the supposed "ice age" from the 1970s that was going to freeze or starve us all?
6. If it is possible to stop the change, but it is impractical to do so, see question #1.

Again, I do not deny the change is happening. I can see the results in the snow patterns that exist today that didn't exist in the 1950s and 1960s. some areas seem to be warming, some seem to be cooling. Yes, the weather/climate is changing. I'm not convinced it is warming or cooling, though.
HOWEVER, instead of all the breast beating and doomsaying, how about we just buckle down and DO SOMETHING to cope with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies