Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Here is another from Tienshan. Again you are going against almost every piece of data out there. Man made global warming is real. It is almost comical that you are denying it in the face of glacial retreat unseen in ten thousand years.

ScienceDirect.com - Global and Planetary Change - Climate change and glacier retreat in northern Tien Shan (Kazakhstan/Kyrgyzstan) using remote sensing data

I didn't think anyone was really arguing anymore about whether or not global warming is occurring (at least not until I read some of the posts on here).

Now I think the discussions are about what to do, especially about protecting coastal areas, and adapting to more extreme climate conditions like drought. Florida for example has a multi-agency taskforce set up to tackle what changes it might expect, and what they are going to have to do to protect wetlands for example. And I know North Carolina has won several grants to assess this issue also.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:49 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Also, the Center for Sponsored Coastal Ocean Research is tackling the issue of sea level rise on U.S. Southeast and Gulf coasts.

Center for Sponsored Coastal Ocean Research: Sea Level Rise Research Program: The Ecological Effects of Sea Level Rise

Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I didn't think anyone was really arguing anymore about whether or not global warming is occurring (at least not until I read some of the posts on here).

Now I think the discussions are about what to do, especially about protecting coastal areas, and adapting to more extreme climate conditions like drought. Florida for example has a multi-agency taskforce set up to tackle what changes it might expect, and what they are going to have to do to protect wetlands for example. And I know North Carolina has won several grants to assess this issue also.
Denialists are extremely common unfortunately. I also would not be surprised if the time for North Carolina being proactive about it is over since our legislature is now run by redneck, bible thumpers who banned the idea sea level rise.

NC Considers Making Sea Level Rise Illegal | Plugged In, Scientific American Blog Network

http://abcnews.go.com/US/north-carol...ry?id=16913782

Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 PM

57,215 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Denialists are extremely common unfortunately. I also would not be surprised if the time for North Carolina being proactive about it is over since our legislature is now run by redneck, bible thumpers who banned the idea sea level rise.

NC Considers Making Sea Level Rise Illegal | Plugged In, Scientific American Blog Network

North Carolina Bans Use of Latest Science on Rising Sea Level - ABC News

Those in denial are uncommon, and all on CD, even some of the oil company executives have come around, not sure why people even waste there time trying to explain GW to people that don't beleive the extensive science. I thought all had moved beyond the fact that there is GW to the why part, but some live on....

ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson's predecessor Lee Raymond was famous for providing "logistical and moral support" (like cash) to climate change deniers, but these days Tillerson's taking a different, sort of casual-sounding tack: just deal with it. Speaking to the Council on Foreign Relations Wednesday, Tillerson suggested that rising levels of carbon in the atmosphere probably would have an impact on the environment. Tillerson said, in part:
We have spent our entire existence adapting, OK? So we will adapt to this. Changes to weather patterns that move crop production areas around -- we'll adapt to that. It's an engineering problem, and it has engineering solutions. And so I don't -- the fear factor that people want to throw out there to say, 'We just have to stop this,' I do not accept.

He said this while casting doubt on scientists' current ability to accurately predict just how warm the earth might get:
So I'm not disputing that increasing CO2 emissions in the atmosphere is going to have an impact. It'll have a warming impact. The -- how large it is is what is very hard for anyone to predict. And depending on how large it is, then projects how dire the consequences are

What Exxon's CEO Proposes We Do About Global Warming: 'We'll Adapt' - Business - The Atlantic Wire

Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
A sand bar? Look up some facts before you speak.
The east and west coasts of Fla are sand bars And the middle of the state is underwater they call it a swamp.

Most of the rocks are corral and conglomerate. Somewhere around Gainsville is a little bed rock and that gets you Mount Gainsville all of 15 feet high ...

I lived in that state for 2 full years and then some..... I went all over, building palm roofed beach bars for Hawaiian Tropic. I bet some are still there with new palm fronds no doubt.

For a stint i worked on a ranch there that had more cattle at the time than there were people in the State of Vermont.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
That is true for sea ice, but it doesn't work that way with continental glaciers, mountain glaciers and glaciers on islands which are rapidly disappearing. All that water has to go somewhere.

Case in point these NASA photos of Mt. Kilimanjaro
Oh gimmie a break......... that mt is 3 degrees south almost on the equator and just under 19,000 feet. It never really even snows in a place like that it is rhyme ice, air born moisture that freezes on contact with things like wood posts trees and rocks....

The air at 3 miles high is dang cold, but that air can change any time....... I have seen snow storms in every month but for July on Mt Washington in NH which is 6,288 ft, and that's a 1 mile high + a little.

This has nothing to do with any rise in sea level, as that ice probably sublimated rather than melted.

There IS No Rise in sea level period..... I went sailing last summer from Portsmouth NH to Gloucester Mass, and passed my old haunt clam digging grounds in the doing at Ipswich Mass, and in 2010 i was there at the shore line making a promo for a book as a Paleo Man, where as a weel lad I found Paleo tools on the beach.

I took my wife up on Eagle Hill to what was my Dads house once over looking the marsh. I drove on the same road which is just barely above high tide and it was way back then 55+ years ago....

If any water was up any 7 inches in the last 6 decades that road would be GONE!

Often times in winter i walk the same NH and Mass beaches i grew up around with my wife from western NY state! Now you might fool her but you are not going to fool me.

Not more than sea level is higher or lower in places! That is just hog wash!

When one of you can fill a bath tub, and then add a bucket more and take a picture of water stacked on top of weather i will send you 50 bucks.

Really this is just making MMGWist's look stupid.....

Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The Atlantic coast of the U.S. has some areas with particularly high rates of sea level change.

"Climate warming does not force sea-level rise at the same rate everywhere. Rather there are spatial variations superimposed on global average rise." The Atlantic seaboard contains "hot spots", areas of faster than average sea level rise, as shown on the following map. The yellow and orange circles indicate hot spots for rising sea-levels based on data from 1950-2009.

The rate of sea-level rise in the atlantic northeast hotspot were 3 to 4 times higher than the global average. The map below on the left is for 1950 to 2009 and on the far right from 1970 to 2009.

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journ...imate1597.html
Total BS......... I can't see how you and anyone can read this and think it can be true....... All water seeks it's own level....... if there were no wind and no currents the ocean would be dead level every where.

Maybe the tide is stronger or weaker in places but that has nothing to do with sea level period..

You can't and no one else can demonstrate this is true. To try would work as well as filling a bucket that has no bottom.... No one can do it....

Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 PM

724 posts, read 592,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Ah Fin, that ain't Ft Lauderdale. It's NY and NJ, not one palm tree in sight....

And the A1 strip is built on a sand bar..... Sand isn't a very good place to build much of anything.

The OMG Arctice Melt mean the snow got a little slushy. When Ice is floating on water and gets to melt the water level doesn't change because the weight of the water in the ice is the same....

The sea level can't be more or less in one place from another either....... Level is level......

Sea level is measured at mid tide, not in, not out, but in the middle.

There is no proof the tide is higher in the past 200 years.....
Your total lack of understanding of pretty much everything is incredible.

File:Trends in global average absolute sea level, 1870-2008 (US EPA).png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Oh gimmie a break......... that mt is 3 degrees south almost on the equator and just under 19,000 feet. It never really even snows in a place like that it is rhyme ice, air born moisture that freezes on contact with things like wood posts trees and rocks....

The air at 3 miles high is dang cold, but that air can change any time....... I have seen snow storms in every month but for July on Mt Washington in NH which is 6,288 ft, and that's a 1 mile high + a little.

This has nothing to do with any rise in sea level, as that ice probably sublimated rather than melted.

There IS No Rise in sea level period..... I went sailing last summer from Portsmouth NH to Gloucester Mass, and passed my old haunt clam digging grounds in the doing at Ipswich Mass, and in 2010 i was there at the shore line making a promo for a book as a Paleo Man, where as a weel lad I found Paleo tools on the beach.

I took my wife up on Eagle Hill to what was my Dads house once over looking the marsh. I drove on the same road which is just barely above high tide and it was way back then 55+ years ago....

If any water was up any 7 inches in the last 6 decades that road would be GONE!

Often times in winter i walk the same NH and Mass beaches i grew up around with my wife from western NY state! Now you might fool her but you are not going to fool me.

Not more than sea level is higher or lower in places! That is just hog wash!

When one of you can fill a bath tub, and then add a bucket more and take a picture of water stacked on top of weather i will send you 50 bucks.

Really this is just making MMGWist's look stupid.....
Every single one of the things is shrinking. You are the fool if you are just going to deny it incessently. You don't like Kilimanjaro, fine what about Tianshan, what about cascades, Aletsch and you are droning on about a place that doesn't even have a glacier.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,725,220 times
i live on an island all me life, i see no!! i say, i see no!!! i say i see no sea level rise. high tide and low tide are the same as 40 years ago. i used to live at the beach, i know i built one...

these beaples are yankin your chains...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.