U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 03:46 PM

993 posts, read 800,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
So you're saying that all those software engineers pulling down six-figure salaries at Apple and Google are actually stupid?

OK then.
Here's another stat:
Marin County has the highest average income of any county in the US...74% voted for Obama, 23% for Romney and 1% each for Stein and Johnson.

Whenever someone bashes college education as "indoctrination" or any other nonsense like that, I point to my hatred for Ayn Rand politics and the professor I had the most (3 different classes) being a prominent member of the Conservative (~98% of its members are Republicans) think tank "The Liberty Fund" who was a major Ayn Rand supporter.

And then I also point to the indoctrination they undergo in their churches where they are forced from birth to be brainwashed a minimum of 1 day per week until they relent and become a member of some silly cult.

The fact of the matter is, the most educated places in the country all lean far from the right...is it indoctrination or education which is causing people to become more liberal? Is education by its nature a liberal action or is it merely liberal because some kind of conspiracy to cause all educated people to vote Democrat?

I don't vote Democrat, but I tend to find the Democratic party to be less intellectually stunted. The Libertarian Party and Green Party are parties of intellectuals, but since they don't stand a chance, many people who would support those parties will vote for one of the two major parties. For most of those people, they find it intellectually dishonest to vote for a party that believes in fairy tales while calling scientific research "myths". I know I could never vote for a ticket like Romney/Ryan because intellectually I cannot reconcile their beliefs with sound fiscal and political policy. Hence my vote for Gary Johnson.

Even in Texas, the financial centers and places where the most people reside all lean to the left. Why is that? Why is it that the further you get from the money, the more likely those people are to vote Republican? It's not a direct causation, but it's certainly a significant factor in people's voting behaviors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 PM

993 posts, read 800,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I suspect many of the rich are those people who live in Hollywood and are totally uneducated except for going to some acting school. Uneducated rich people, the black population that possibly is mostly uneducated in real world affairs, and the union members are who got Obama elected. People who are on the 'government take' (includes not only welfare recipients but government employees also) are not going to vote for someone who wants them to actually work for the wages they get. Government workers do not produce anything, no product of any kind, they are no more than a drain on the taxpayers. As for the black population, the black man in this video clip says it all: http://www.youtube.com/v/F0sk4yGaEk8&hl=en_US&fs=1&

So all the rich people are those who live in Hollywood?

Where do you people come up with this stuff?
"Hollywood" is a small area and even LA has millions of people who work in jobs completely unrelated to the Film industry.
Apple and Google are 300 miles from Hollywood.

And if people on the "government take" don't want to vote for people who support big government, how come the military usually votes Republican when the GOP SUPPOSEDLY stands for small government?

And no government workers produce anything? Really? Their jobs are just stay-busy jobs? You don't think the FBI does anything? Or the National Park Service? What about the Army Corps of Engineers? How about NASA?

Seriously, you people make me sad. How can people be so ignorant when we have so many resources for information freely and readily available to us?

I too can post a video of a black man from Youtube. Here's one who is smarter than your entire family, combined:

Cosmic Quandaries with Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson - YouTube

Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 PM

6,467 posts, read 11,546,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What would you bet on it?
Nothing. The three of the four people I know who work at Google don't have degrees, the fourth has an English Degree. The two I know who work at Apple don't have degrees. These are all programmer types. It's likely that degree percentages are higher in the business side of things.

But in the IT world on the West Coast, degrees are generally worth less then then in other fields. Technology Specific Certification are worth marginally more, but Technology moves so fast that few Colleges can keep up in the first place. Direct and verifiable experience trumps degrees much of the time. Most job postings will say "Degree, or equivalent experience." 90% of the time the person with the "equivalent experience" gets the job over the degree.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:31 PM

6,467 posts, read 11,546,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
The fact of the matter is, the most educated places in the country all lean far from the right...is it indoctrination or education which is causing people to become more liberal? Is education by its nature a liberal action or is it merely liberal because some kind of conspiracy to cause all educated people to vote Democrat?
Just look at history to answer your question. Look at who was behind revolutions in almost every country for the past 300 years as a starting point. Look at what groups, despite their own economic status, started the revolutions for the betterment of all people.

Education has always been accused of pushing people being Liberal. University was usually a place to send your second son to get some learning, but you had to be careful to pull them out before they became too Liberal.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:38 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,428,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Leveledthe playing field? What bubble are you in, BJ?
* Union contributions have always paled in comparison to Wall Street and the super-wealthy repub base.
* Citizens United was enacted by your own activist right-wing fascist judges appointed for purposes like that.
* That old broken record - the poor corporate repubs previously victimized by those big bad unions.
Quote:
LEGEND: Republican Democrat On the fence
= Between 40% and 59% to both parties
= Leans Dem/Repub (60%-69%)
= Strongly Dem/Repub (70%-89%)
= Solidly Dem/Repub (over 90%)

1 ActBlue
$76,137,468 99% 0%

2 American Fedn of State, County & Municipal Employees
$65,160,408 69% 0%

3 AT&T Inc
$50,295,491 43% 56%

4 National Education Assn
$49,769,888 64% 4%

5 Service Employees International Union
$48,743,973 61% 2%

6 National Assn of Realtors
$46,767,451 44% 46%

7 Goldman Sachs
$41,831,097 55% 42%

8 Carpenters & Joiners Union
$39,777,927 70% 7%

9 American Assn for Justice
$38,234,280 85% 7%

10 American Federation of Teachers
$38,218,968 81% 0%

11 United Auto Workers
$37,612,278 75% 0%

12 Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
$37,136,608 94% 2%

13 Laborers Union
$35,202,466 84% 6%

14 Communications Workers of America
$34,277,318 86% 0%

15 Teamsters Union
$34,213,817 85% 5%

16 United Food & Commercial Workers Union
$31,674,563 85% 0%

17 Citigroup Inc
$30,603,616 49% 49%
Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2012 | OpenSecrets

Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM

20,894 posts, read 13,647,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
-Being a college professor isn't a real job.
Such an opinion can only genuinely be held by dyed in the wool cretins.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM

502 posts, read 605,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
It has been shown that college educated and upper income brackets are pretty even between Dem and Rep support.....

Don't let your bias show too much..... besides, Apple is a criminal organization which profits off of slave labor and yet you Libbies support it while hating Walmart..... Now THAT shows real intelligence .....and class (and hypocrisy as well....)

We also know that both Dems and Reps have huge numbers of uneducated idiots as well

This thread, in other words, is based on a false premise...... that is your implying that all educated people are Liberals

Personally, I don't care if the folks at Apple are D or R..... I would call them out to their faces for tolerating the practices of their **** company...... not that they are the only company who engages in bad business practice of course, but since you hold them up as some great company, it stands to reason that they would be the ones mentioned here
From the book Stuff White People Like, #40 Apple Products:

"On the surface, you would ask yourself, how is that white people love a multi-billion dollar company with manufacturing plants in China, mass production, and that contributes to global pollution through the manufacture of consumer electronic devices?

Simple answer: Apple products tell the world you are creative and unique. They are an exclusive product line only used by every white college student, designer, writer, English teacher, and hipster on the planet."

Old 11-29-2012, 04:45 PM

5,510 posts, read 5,712,344 times
Well let's keep in mind that the vast majority of those making 50k or more and those with a college degree, overwhelmingly voted for Romney. Those with the lowest education and the least financially stable voted for Obama. So there goes your "rich" and "smart" argument if those two variables are the qualifying metrics.

The "47%" and their advocates primarily voted for Obama.

But in regards to Hollywood who represent the "rich and cool" (but not necessrily the "smart"), I personally believed it's the entertainment culture that includes an abnormal amount of the LBGT and LGBT freindly communities that is quite fond of the Democrats for obvious reasons.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Education has always been accused of pushing people being Liberal. University was usually a place to send your second son to get some learning, but you had to be careful to pull them out before they became too Liberal.
Education does push people to become more liberal.

Reality leans to the left. Education makes it harder to hide from that fact.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Well let's keep in mind that the vast majority of those making 50k or more and those with a college degree, overwhelmingly voted for Romney. So there goes your "rich" and "smart" argument if those two variables are the deciding metrics.
Oh? You want to provide your source on that doubtful assertion? Of those with post graduate degrees, 55% voted for Obama. A slight majority (51%) of those with bachelor degrees voted for Romney.

You do not appear to know what "overwhelming" means.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/re...ent/exit-polls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies