Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
1. If changing those two words from "bride and groom" to "spouse and spouse" causes mass chaos among straight people, I'd have to say we aren't the brightest bunch of people. Especially when you consider it actually makes things easier, since you wouldn't have to know which name goes where.

2. Homosexuals have parades for acceptance because they had to fight for acceptance in society. Simple concept, really, and I'm sure heterosexuals would do the same if they'd been treated unequally for as long as they gay community has/was. Heck, if you took away straight marriage rights tomorrow, you and I would probably BOTH be in line to parade/protest for justice. Well, at least I know I would.

3. Yes, marriage requires a license - that's kinda the whole point of why they want legal marriage, since you lose approx 1000 benefits & rights without that pesky certificate. If it weren't for that, I have a feeling this wouldn't be as important (but still somewhat) of an issue to the gay community.

4. You're right, there has been enough dividing; and it's time to STOP the divisiveness by offering equality to ALL.

So you agree the vote is ridiculous..? and the issue could be presented in a way which inspires unity..? ( save the extreme .5 %...because thats my thinking and the whole blame is on government 100%

Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
So you agree the vote is ridiculous..? and the issue could be presented in a way which inspires unity..? ( save the extreme .5 %
What vote? If you're referring to voting gay marriage legal, no I don't think it's ridiculous at all... since we've yet to come up with a mutually agreeable alternative (separate but equal doesn't count), it seems the only way to ensure equality right now. If you have a better plan, please let us know!

(I assume your plan would be changing ALL marriage to civil unions, but we've already heard opposition from the straight community over that one.)

Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 PM

19,018 posts, read 14,193,756 times
Why need a license?
Soundbite answer:
Because one or both parties to the marriage lack legal standing to contract under the common law.

Since 1935, and FICA, all participants lack the property rights to "marry" (merge) under the traditional laws of matrimony.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,703 times
Well I don't think what is going on is working out at all. Plus don't forget while the gay movement suggests its fighting for acceptance in society as you mentioned, the activity is also a suggestive as an influence in of itself in stemming anti-unity tones and other, regardless. Thats the problem and I will maintain an opinion that the word gay...has no business in a healthy youngsters life and should be outlawed from any emphasis in education, otherwise what is the intended nature of the business..? Parades would also be futile and serve no purpose if a nation-wide "Gay Marriage was fully legal, what for, acceptance is granted with a nation wide legal Gay Marriage..Parades celebrate a theme, if acceptance is achieved the only remaining theme possible is a parade which stimulates human flourish toward unity in a traditional tone, which creates a harmonious applaud unanimously for it...Therefore the gay Parade is illogical without the acceptance motive and cannot achieve a progressive end product toward collective unity...The chance at acceptance in an approach similar to this would have a better chance at cooling the momentum to encourage a workable deal.
Leaving out the loudness and damaging anti-unity influence for it to youngsters, example in my opinion is huge. By and large I think its enough to grow up in this world, let alone seeing the adults play tug a-war with matters which interfere with their already naturally inclined and an adult war zone...all they will do, and we see this in schools is play mimic to the adult world they see, youngsters always follow the lead, always have and always will......anyway, thats my 2 cents worth for now, whats in place needs to be changed , no doubt about it and think gov is to blame for crumby leadership in a full washing of the hands with zero to add and saying ...hey go ahead and vote, knowing full well its going to inflame society.

Last edited by stargazzer; 11-28-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,294 times
Marriage is being reduced to a meaningless, empty, function devoid of value that was once treasured and considered something special by society only to have everything that it once represented modified and redefined away just to accommodate a militant 3% of the population for whom the unification of the two sexes was never intended or able to accommodate anyway.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
By the same token, if a gay couple needs the word "marriage" on their government application in order to feel legitimate, is it not likely that their union is doomed?
That's not the same at all. We're talking about equality. I don't care if government-recognized unions are called marriages or civil unions. They just need to be called the same thing, regardless of whether they are opposite-sex unions or same-sex unions.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,444 times
Default Oh Please!..It's just jealousy and bitterness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If an anti-gay person needs the words "husband" and "wife" on a government application for marriage in order to feel legitimate, I'd say your marriage is doomed.
So what if a couple (a straight couple) want to keep the words husband and wife?
Are the gays that insecure and jealous that they want everyone punished...Just like spoiled children would demand..."Then no one can have it!!!..Booo Hoo Hoo"

Most people simply ignore gay couples...They live and let live..But aparently the insecurity of many gays with themselves won't allow that for straight couples.

This nonsense people are posting here about words evolving over time....A naturally pregnant gay couple has not evolved over any time at all, has it?

Maybe it's about time to evolve another description of them...How about that?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
So what if a couple (a straight couple) want to keep the words husband and wife?
Are the gays that insecure and jealous that they want everyone punished...Just like spoiled children would demand..."Then no one can have it!!!..Booo Hoo Hoo"

Most people simply ignore gay couples...They live and let live..But aparently the insecurity of many gays with themselves won't allow that for straight couples.

This nonsense people are posting here about words evolving over time....A naturally pregnant gay couple has not evolved over any time at all, has it?

Your sour grapes aren't going to change the definition of marriage in the states where same-sex marriages are recognized. Babble on.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post

They could (and would) still be husband and wife, so I'm not really sure what you're rambling about here. It's just a form, not a permanent designation.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Marriage is being reduced to a meaningless, empty, function devoid of value that was once treasured and considered something special by society only to have everything that it once represented modified and redefined away just to accommodate a militant 3% of the population for whom the unification of the two sexes was never intended or able to accommodate anyway.
Minorities still have rights in this country, ya know... my people (the Jews) only make up 2% of the population, so would it be fair to take our equal status too? I mean, who cares about a measly 2% when it comes to freedom and equality? I think we should also stop appeasing disabled folks with ADA regulations, since they're not a huge percentage of the population either. Whiny minorities!!

Time for a quote: "It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Furthermore, if your marriage is a "meaningless, empty function devoid of value" simply because some gay couples are also married, it probably wasn't the best marriage anyway. And it's not like straight people are doing it justice, with the current divorce rate being something like 60%. Not to mention the number of quickie weddings (a la Britney Spears and Kim Kardashian), shotgun weddings, "trophy wives," gold-diggers, green card marriages, etc, etc. Sorry to break the news, but marriage hasn't been that sacred or meaningful since WAY before gays decided to join the party. I bet they'll do a better job of it too, given that shotgun weddings are impossible - and given how long many of them have been waiting, with the same partner no less, it's much more likely to last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies