U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2012, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,441 posts, read 20,090,801 times
Reputation: 8363

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
One of the problems with internet forums is that posting citations lends itself to posting from websites because citations from books limits the ability of others to verify the source materials. This is further hindered by the fact that responses have to posted in a timely manner. Having said that, posting the title of one of the dozens of books especially considering the fact that you neglected to post a single passage from it does little to bolster your argument.


Frozenyo is the one making the claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,081,824 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What, no Huffington to report "reliable sources close to the Administration, blah, blah, blah..."?
Here are a few more non-Huffington Post for you to peruse.
Ray McGovern, a former CIA official and persistent government critic, said the report was diverting the blame. "I see it as part of the continuing attempt to blame the CIA and other intelligence agencies and divert attention away from the White House and the Pentagon. It's worse than Butler [the inquiry into British intelligence shortcomings], or anything you've had over there."

Dick Cheney made several trips to the CIA's Langley headquarters in the months before the war to discuss findings on Iraq's alleged WMD, and the agency's ombudsman told the Senate that analysts had undergone constant "hammering" to come up with a connection between al-Qaida and Saddam.
Iraq WMD report to lay blame on CIA | World news | The Guardian

The CIA and WMDs: The Damning Evidence by Fulton Armstrong | The New York Review of Books

60 Minutes: CIA Official Reveals Bush, Cheney, Rice Were Personally Told Iraq Had No WMD in Fall 2002 | ThinkProgress

U.S. Intelligence and Iraq WMD

The CIA & Iraq

The Dark Side | FRONTLINE | PBS

Nation & World: Ex-Agent Ties Firing to CIA Pressure on WMD - US News and World Report

Dick Cheney made to the CIA before the war in Iraq. ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,381 posts, read 27,564,862 times
Reputation: 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In the case of Iraq, it was clear that the Administration cooked the books on Iraq and ignored the CiA. The Administration went so far as to set up its own intelligence shop. The CIA warned the administration about their single source Curveball, the CIA warned the administration about the trustworthiness of Ahmad Chalabi but the White House ignored them.

Bush knew Saddam had no weapons of mass destruction - Salon.com

Neglecting Intelligence, Ignoring Warnings | Center for American Progress

Cherry Picking the Facts on Pre-War Intelligence | Center for American Progress

Powell's doubts over CIA intelligence on Iraq prompted him to set up secret review | World news | The Guardian

Who Lost the WMD? - TIME
George Tenet (head of the CIA) told the Bush administration that WMD in Iraq is a "slam dunk."

Pay no attention to what those leftist sites you posted claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 12:22 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,081,824 times
Reputation: 14896
You know the critical issue being left out by the fraudulent comparison is that if we accept for the moment the argument that the Obama administration is falsely blaming the CIA what has been the outcome of the Obama misrepresentations and those of the Bush administration, as the critics claim; to cast blame on a video for some yet to be explained reason, or the even more specious argument to win the election, or to guide the country into a preemptive war ($1 trillion and 4,000 dead) and to establish a Shia dominated government with long standing ties to Iran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,381 posts, read 27,564,862 times
Reputation: 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Here are a few more non-Huffington Post for you to peruse.
Ray McGovern, a former CIA official and persistent government critic, said the report was diverting the blame. "I see it as part of the continuing attempt to blame the CIA and other intelligence agencies and divert attention away from the White House and the Pentagon. It's worse than Butler [the inquiry into British intelligence shortcomings], or anything you've had over there."

Dick Cheney made several trips to the CIA's Langley headquarters in the months before the war to discuss findings on Iraq's alleged WMD, and the agency's ombudsman told the Senate that analysts had undergone constant "hammering" to come up with a connection between al-Qaida and Saddam.
Iraq WMD report to lay blame on CIA | World news | The Guardian

The CIA and WMDs: The Damning Evidence by Fulton Armstrong | The New York Review of Books

60 Minutes: CIA Official Reveals Bush, Cheney, Rice Were Personally Told Iraq Had No WMD in Fall 2002 | ThinkProgress

U.S. Intelligence and Iraq WMD

The CIA & Iraq

The Dark Side | FRONTLINE | PBS

Nation & World: Ex-Agent Ties Firing to CIA Pressure on WMD - US News and World Report

Dick Cheney made to the CIA before the war in Iraq. ...
I suppose all these Democrats were "cooking the books," too?


Democrats, WMD's and The Iraq War - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 AM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
13,976 posts, read 10,917,583 times
Reputation: 12741
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I'm asking this because those on the left are giving Susan Rice a pass by saying she was mislead by institutional incompetence. Is this the same case with the false pretexts that lead the country into war in Iraq?
Here's another way to look at it: since those on the right are so focused on Obama vs. others misleading people about Benghazi...why were they decidedly less interested in this line of questioning when Bush's WMD debacle came to light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,081,824 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
George Tenet (head of the CIA) told the Bush administration that WMD in Iraq is a "slam dunk."
When your boss, in this case Cheney insists that you find such evidence, a slam dunk become the equivalent of the old book camp saying, "when I tell you to jump, you ask how high". Nothing more and nothing less.

As I've pointed out, there is ample and exhaustive reporting on the pressures the administration placed on Tenet and the CIA to produce the "evidence" that it desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 AM
 
16,437 posts, read 19,129,232 times
Reputation: 9518
Can we at least consider the possibility that the WMDs were transferred from Iraq to Syria? There was an endless convoy of trucks hustling out of Iraq to the Syrian border as US forces closed in on Saddam. What was on those trucks? Where did Syria's WMD come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 AM
 
4,189 posts, read 4,395,853 times
Reputation: 2228
Bill Clinton was so sure Iraq had WMD's he got the Iraq Liberation Act passed before he left office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,081,824 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I suppose all these Democrats were "cooking the books," too?
If you want to know why Hillary lost to Obama, look no further. The fact that too many Democrats bent over and curtsied to the Bush administration for the purpose of looking tall in the saddle is no secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top