U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 PM

22,381 posts, read 27,571,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Some should have told Dubya. He might have looks like such a tool if some had.
Keep right on posting fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 PM

22,381 posts, read 27,571,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Bush/Cheney took the information they were given by the previous administration and acted on the Clinton Doctrine, "The Iraq Liberation Act". Sandy Berger was tasked with removing documents from the National Archive which showed Clinton's approval of the invasion too. All roads lead back to Bill. He owns it.
Exactly. In 1998, Congress passed and Clinton signed a bill making regime change in Iraq official U.S. policy. This was years before "Cheney was running things."

Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,568,882 times
Not sure if the OP is aware, but the idea and supporting intelligence that the stockpile was, in fact, moved to Syria, is becoming widely accepted.

I don't think any of us know "where" the weapons went, but Saddam sure as hell didn't just, in good faith, dismantle and discard them. That's not exactly how Middle East dictatorships work, you know, the ones who have tested those very weapons on it's own people.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 AM

18,794 posts, read 14,269,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The CIA said they couldn't verify any WMDs existed in Iraq and Dick Cheney kept firing folks at the CIA telling them they were wrong until one of them got the message and told him what he wanted to hear. It's pretty clear the Bush Administration just wanted to invade Iraq and pushed everyone else to make that possible.
This is what is known as a "skedaddle." You post this nonsense, it is challenged, and, you go MIA.

This is why I think historians will look back 100 years from now at "Bush lied, thousands died," as one of the biggest idiocies of history.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:41 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,300,391 times
One of the better summaries of the "case" against the Bush administration leading up to the Iraq war is Vincent Bugliosi's book The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder.

It's obviously a rather partisan work, but if you want a fairly readable "argumentum conta Bush," that's a good place to start.

Fundamentally, Bush had a choice about whether or not to invade Iraq, and he chose poorly. It cost a huge amount of money, killed a lot of people, and didn't accomplish much of anything. That stain cannot be erased from his record.

Quote:
the idea and supporting intelligence that the stockpile was, in fact, moved to Syria, is becoming widely accepted.
Really, now. Widely accepted? So where are all these magical Iraqi WMDs now that Syria has a civil war of its own, and could surely use the help? And remember that Syria already had its own poison gas stockpiles well before either Gulf War, as we saw in the Hama incident of 1982.

Quote:
This is why I think historians will look back 100 years from now at "Bush lied, thousands died," as one of the biggest idiocies of history.
My guess is that Bush will eventually come to be seen as a figurehead who largely deferred to the judgments of others, and did not even try to direct or devise his own policies. He'll come to be seen as a "puppet Emperor," but with less power.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,269,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
My guess is that Bush will eventually come to be seen as a figurehead who largely deferred to the judgments of others, and did not even try to direct or devise his own policies. He'll come to be seen as a "puppet Emperor," but with less power.
But my comment was not really about how Bush will be seen, but rather how his opposition will be seen.

The Syria angle always gets brought up, but to me it is irrelevant. The question is whether it was reasonable to believe that Saddam had WMD in 2003, and the answer is clearly yes. I guess it might be embarrassing to the left if stockpiles of WMD were found in Syria, but then maybe not. The left would just demand proof that they came from Saddam, and such proof would be inherently unlikely.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,685,331 times
Was it The Bush Administration or CIA That Mislead The Country on WMD in Iraq?

I don't know, I just remember hearing all of them in Washington saying it. Clinton, Gore when they were in office and all their staff then Bush and all his staff after he got in. They all believed it. I think you can find videos of them all saying it on youtube.

They were all convinced and Saddam Hussein wanted them to believe it since he said he wanted the world to think he had more power then he really did. He was mistaken but oh well now.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 PM

32,994 posts, read 13,924,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Was it The Bush Administration or CIA That Mislead The Country on WMD in Iraq?

I don't know, I just remember hearing all of them in Washington saying it. Clinton, Gore when they were in office and all their staff then Bush and all his staff after he got in. They all believed it. I think you can find videos of them all saying it on youtube.

They were all convinced and Saddam Hussein wanted them to believe it since he said he wanted the world to think he had more power then he really did. He was mistaken but oh well now.
Many people beleived that Iraq had WMD but before you go to war you need to really be sure, especially when the UN investigator indicated he needed more time. Even though Iraq was giving the investigators the run around, they should have been dam sure before the US invaded.

Think of all of the bad intelligence:

-Iraq was getting Uranium from Niger
-biological weapons
-chemical weapons (anthrax)
-sheltering Al Queda

and stlll Condolezza Rice went on TV supporting the invasion. I stll remember Colin Powell briefing the UN security council with a pointer to a nuclear facility, never found it.

Every American life is important, but seems rather hypocritical that all these congressmen are now questioning the statements of the secretary of state, not her actions in protecting the embassy, while all signed on to a 10 year war that killed thousands of soldiers and civilians.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,492,133 times
Iraq attacked our Ally Kuwait. Because of our freindship and to protect our interrests in the region we had to wage war on Iraq. It was the right thing to do

Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 PM

30,013 posts, read 16,597,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
One of the better summaries of the "case" against the Bush administration leading up to the Iraq war is Vincent Bugliosi's book The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder.

It's obviously a rather partisan work, but if you want a fairly readable "argumentum conta Bush," that's a good place to start.

Fundamentally, Bush had a choice about whether or not to invade Iraq, and he chose poorly. It cost a huge amount of money, killed a lot of people, and didn't accomplish much of anything. That stain cannot be erased from his record.

Really, now. Widely accepted? So where are all these magical Iraqi WMDs now that Syria has a civil war of its own, and could surely use the help? And remember that Syria already had its own poison gas stockpiles well before either Gulf War, as we saw in the Hama incident of 1982.

Best post I've seen regarding WMD and Bush - the big, old, elephant in the room. Apparently the Republican party doesn't want tainted with the same stain - he was certainly invisible this entire election season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or