U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,860,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 718native View Post
To many people it gets much deeper than christmas and its important to them. I'm Jewish and i hate when people say "happy holidays" becuase its a pc way of saying merry christmas. I do not get offended by people saying merry christmas or that in schools and public everything is christmasy. I live in a christian country they have that right if i wanted more hanukah stuff i could move to Israel(which I am)

Where do you live?

America isn't a Christian Nation, never has been. That's just a myth. If it was intended to be a Christian country I don't think the founders would have left that out of the constitution.

X-Mas only became a federal holiday in the late 1800's. It can be changed again if the majority of people feel like it, this is America, we aren't bound to a faith of one persuasion, that's the great thing about us.

There is a big difference in America being a Christian Nation and Christians in America wanting us to be a Christian Nation. Big difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,332,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What do you think about O'Reilly's take that Christianity is not a religion but merely a philosophy?
That is a rather dangerous tact. While considering it a "philosophy" would preclude having to dither over the separation of church and state, it would also deny Christians protection under a whole host of laws where religion is a protected class but philosophy is not.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,835,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
That is a rather dangerous tact. While considering it a "philosophy" would preclude having to dither over the separation of church and state, it would also deny Christians protection under a whole host of laws where religion is a protected class but philosophy is not.
Considering that he can flip around and herd his disciples accordingly, he simply used a childish argument designed for the moment.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 AM

71,700 posts, read 83,289,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What do you think about O'Reilly's take that Christianity is not a religion but merely a philosophy?
well I have to admit, I have never heard anyone say that before and I never thought about it quite that way. I guess, it depends on how you see religion. He does have a point, but I don't agree with him. Oh, I guess if you think about what one says when asked What religion are you? and you answer Roman Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, etc he makes sense, but I would be inclined to say, he is reaching a little...

Old 11-30-2012, 09:44 AM

71,700 posts, read 83,289,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Pardon me for not following your postings throughout the years, or for not caring that your granddaughter considered becoming a Jew.

You obviously have every right to hold the [factually wrong] opinion that there can't be agnostic/atheist Jews.
you have your view, I have mine, I choose to let it go and not play this silly game about who is right and who is wrong, because there is no right and wrong to this. We will have to agree to disagree on this one and I sure on other issues that come up....end of conversation for me.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,835,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well I have to admit, I have never heard anyone say that before and I never thought about it quite that way. I guess, it depends on how you see religion. He does have a point, but I don't agree with him.
I see contradiction, perhaps out of obligation that you cannot call O'Reilly an idiot (that he is). What point does he have?

Quote:
Oh, I guess if you think about what one says when asked What religion are you? and you answer Roman Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, etc he makes sense, but I would be inclined to say, he is reaching a little...
Factions of Christianity are political in nature. I guess, the underlying idea for O'Reilly to accept a philosophy as a religion is that it must include political attributes. I also assume that there can be no religion as "non-denominational". Would they make for a cult?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:58 PM

3,448 posts, read 2,671,325 times
He was bang on right...Christianity is the philosophy of peace and stemming virtue. Many religions embrace the philosophy of Christianity. To complain and orchestrate a movement against a movement for peace, can only promote an objective opposing, which would certainly be an anti-unity end goal.

Therefore the movement against peace and known attribute harmony, through unity... is not only weird but unconstitutional bordering on a full outright deliberate intention to disturb whatever peace there would be in a given community.

Therefore by-law should be engaged for will-full interference in the community's right for what would be " the reasonable enjoyment of the day"

Therefore the guest should have been immediately picked up and fully charged with very very heavy fines.

We will need a proper dispute for the explained infraction in what would be the peoples court of justice and truth right here in this thread.

Last edited by stargazzer; 11-30-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 03:34 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,266,564 times
oh so christianity is not a religion now? bill o Reilly is a tosser...
the man makes excellent points.. the market can certainly cater to christimas and it's christianity association but the government should NOT be holding it up as an official holiday...because that is indeed not fair to other religions.. er.. "philosophies"

Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM

15,093 posts, read 13,742,106 times
I was perplexed by the Christianity is a philosophy comment as well. Never heard it described in such terms before.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,279,281 times
Jesus peaceful and loving scriptures could be used as philosophy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies