Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,042 times

Advertisements

So, what is Comrade O'bummer going to do about it? I think China thinks O'bummer is a very weak leader and it is now time to expand it's borders and become the number one super power. Be warned!

https://mail.google.com/mail/h/raomo...b49d1add53411b : smack:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,543,442 times
Only means the Chinese are almost as dumb as US.

But we have what -- 12? Suppose that means we are winning the Dumb Race.

Aircraft Carriers are now about as useful as the Battleships at Pearl Harbor.

World's Largest Targets.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 AM

45,217 posts, read 26,427,822 times
We already spend more on military than the rest of the planet combined, what does the o.p. think the answer is?

Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
So, what is Comrade O'bummer going to do about it? I think China thinks O'bummer is a very weak leader and it is now time to expand it's borders and become the number one super power. Be warned!

Two questions:
1. Do you honestly think China is going to attack the USA?
2. What could it possibly matter if China gain the fictitious title of "#1 Super power"? Give them their t-shirts and let's be on our way.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,324,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post

One old, small (half the displacement of any of the US's), limited capability (carries half as many planes as the US ships) - and actually rather crummy - AC does not exactly make China the "number one super power" - not to mention the fact that simply having such a vessel is a FAR CRY from having any kind of experience and expertice in actually USING such a force effectively. In any event India already has a similar carrier - as does Brazil and several other countries.

It IS clear that China's power is on the rise, but it's not ANYTHING that will come ANYWHERE NEAR approaching US power during Obama's time. Twenty years from now, that may be different, but over the next four years it's nothing to be concerned with.

Ken

Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,155 times
Rapidly? Not really. The aircraft carrier is a work in progress for 15 years. They are still experimenting with landing jets on deck. It's a long learning process since China doesn't have carrier tradition like the US.
That said, they are preparing to dominate the sea and thats a major concern for Japan, Korea, Philippines, Taiwan, Vietnam etc. They have a more advanced missile and satellite program.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We already spend more on military than the rest of the planet combined, what does the o.p. think the answer is?
I have mixed feeling on this. I've been to China numerous times, and while I think the wealthy among the population are friendly to America, or at least see them as a valuable resource, there is an undercurrent of hostility among the general population. Like many cultures, Chinese hold grudges for things that happened generations ago. This is especially visible towards the Japanese. The vast majority of the population was not even born during WWII, yet the younger generation acts like the rape of Nanking happened yesterday. That type of hostility is bound to boil over eventually. You also can't compare money spent on the military equally. Remember, everything in china costs less, often way less since the government still controls the means of production for certain industries. In reality China's military spending with those elements factored in probably exceeds our own. It does make you wonder why they're spending the money. They have more problems at home than we do. That's what also makes more worry about them. They're reaching a situation like Japan was in by the late 20s. Limited resourced that are straining a growing economy. Hopefully they do not go down the same path.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,543,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
They're reaching a situation like Japan was in by the late 20s. Limited resourced that are straining a growing economy. Hopefully they do not go down the same path.

Yeah, I can see the Great Recession ending about like the Great Depression.

But this time the war that follows will likely start with Nukes, rather than end with them.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,324,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I have mixed feeling on this. I've been to China numerous times, and while I think the wealthy among the population are friendly to America, or at least see them as a valuable resource, there is an undercurrent of hostility among the general population. Like many cultures, Chinese hold grudges for things that happened generations ago. This is especially visible towards the Japanese. The vast majority of the population was not even born during WWII, yet the younger generation acts like the rape of Nanking happened yesterday. That type of hostility is bound to boil over eventually. You also can't compare money spent on the military equally. Remember, everything in china costs less, often way less since the government still controls the means of production for certain industries. In reality China's military spending with those elements factored in probably exceeds our own. It does make you wonder why they're spending the money. They have more problems at home than we do. That's what also makes more worry about them. They're reaching a situation like Japan was in by the late 20s. Limited resourced that are straining a growing economy. Hopefully they do not go down the same path.
Nations on the rise typically feel a need to have a strong military. I suspect that is more the reason for China's increased military capabilities than their feelings towards Japan.

Ken

Old 11-29-2012, 10:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
2. What could it possibly matter if China gain the fictitious title of "#1 Super power"? Give them their t-shirts and let's be on our way.
The US is the most influential nation worldwide, it's because of that military power.

Having said that I'm not concerned about Chinese aircraft carriers, this is not something you just go out and use. The US has developed their aircraft carrier program over what is approaching a century, that experience is irreplaceable and if the Chines are to go forward with carrier development it may take them 50 years to catch up even if the US were stop deployment of new carriers today. As already noted the carrier may be obsolete at this point if two very modern military power were to go to war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies