U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-15-2007, 12:14 PM

175 posts, read 531,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
A little background from recent local media...

Growing marijuana in Kentucky's mountains delivers illegal pot of gold
Great post!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Somehow I doubt that money earned from growing pot would find its way to the government. It's not like they are reporting that money to the IRS.

Not to mention that the Appalachians stretch from Georgia to Maine - that's a pretty broad area. $26 billion suddenly doesn't seem like so much, considering that they supply pot to most of the southeast, northeast, and midwest. There's no reason to assume that all these growers are actually residents of the Appalachians; I'd be willing to bet that a lot of those growers are from "the flatlands," who take that money back with them.
The fact is you're very wrong again! Most of the growers are just that generation of Appalachian families that infiltrate inner cities and suburbs with the goods. My question is how do the third party black kids get the drug, because I doubt hillbillies are traveling into Detroit, but then again who knows. I remember in college I had a few white friends one with a very southern accent from NC attending GW and they lived in what is known as Southeast Washington, DC (very dangerous drug infested predominately black area). They were constantly asked if they had drugs and when the drugs were coming in. They were treated like royalty by the drug dealing black gangsters even when it was finally revealed they were not drug runners from Appalachia. However they just moved nothing violent happened to them.

The government is obviously involved. A black market generates money. People then use money to buy goods from stores. Those stores in turn pay taxes to the state and local governments. What about this process do you not understand? Further more i think another poster mentioned that as with inner cities the drug dealers usually fund social activities within the area like school things etc. Now, I’m not for any of this, but just pointing out the similarities with rural white life and inner city black life. Funny they each seem to operate by what is referred to in inner cities "as the code of the streets" both groups do not talk to the cops and nor do the people that know they're doing it. Seem to me there's more of a universal "poor culture" than a universal poor black culture and a separate poor white culture?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 AM
NCN

14,087 posts, read 12,457,266 times
Making "pot" legal would work no better than making alcoholic drinks legal. If there were no users than there would be no need for the product. Why doesn't everybody just quit using it? I don't know how much money these two things make, but I guarantee you that each of these cost taxpayers more than they would ever profit our communities. I'll also add cigarettes to this statement. Society pays for these items when they pay their insurance, taxes for police protection, etc., because they are also responsible for many robberies and murders.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 AM

5,618 posts, read 6,658,486 times
Quote:
Why doesn't everybody just quit using it?
Marijuana? People have used it for thousands of years. It's a plant with various uses, like any other herb. Why should that change? I mean, why don't people quit using nutmeg or black pepper? Why should they?

Old 10-16-2007, 01:10 PM

33,788 posts, read 29,215,017 times
I am really amused. I will find the 'hillbillies" program and see what it has to say. I knew they had to be doing something to make up for the profits lost when booze became legal. Growing dope is just a slight variant. If you can’t make money by manufacturing or miming it, you just have to grow it. Nobody ever said hillbillies are dumb but they are just a bit lawless.

Anyone surprised that black guys get jailed and white rednecks get rich on the deal? Racism is alive and well in America. All is right with the world.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:08 PM

2,357 posts, read 374,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsitgoingdude3 View Post
The fact is you're very wrong again! Most of the growers are just that generation of Appalachian families that infiltrate inner cities and suburbs with the goods. My question is how do the third party black kids get the drug, because I doubt hillbillies are traveling into Detroit, but then again who knows.
First off, you have absolutely no idea who is growing that Appalachian pot. It could be locals, it could be people from out of town. It's probably both. Either way, it's irrelevant. BTW - why would hillbillies not go into Detroit? You say that as if they should be afraid to do so. Please.

Some of my acquaintances, after college, moved to the mountains of NC to grow pot. One of them got arrested trying to sell it. Another one ran his mouth about what he was doing, and ended up getting robbed by masked men with guns, who came in the night, put the contents of his house into several vans, and drove off.

Your question involving dealers is fundamentally a wrong one. You are operating under the assumption that black people are the primary "Sellers" of this product. I don't claim the following to be fact, but this is my understanding of how it all works:
-Pot grown in the appalachians is usually indoors, and often of the best quality and very expensive. Notice how they don't say that the App. Mountains produce a high quantity of the stuff.. they simply produce a high dollar value of it. It gets passed down the line, through ordinary-looking (but very criminal) average joes, until it reaches the rich college kids who can afford to pay the higher prices. This is the same stuff that comes down from Canada in large quantities, and is bright, bright green.

-Pot grown in Mexico is usually outdoors, and usually sprayed with heavy pesticides, and is not very potent. This is the "latino/black" pot that finds its way to the stereotypical "black inner city." It is brown in color, highly compressed (due to shipping illegally), and very cheap.

Quote:
I remember in college I had a few white friends one with a very southern accent from NC attending GW and they lived in what is known as Southeast Washington, DC (very dangerous drug infested predominately black area). They were constantly asked if they had drugs and when the drugs were coming in. They were treated like royalty by the drug dealing black gangsters even when it was finally revealed they were not drug runners from Appalachia. However they just moved nothing violent happened to them.
So what? I have a very strong southern accent. Most people here do. I don't see what that has to do with anything - I mean, nobody has ever asked me if I'm running drugs.

Quote:
The government is obviously involved. A black market generates money. People then use money to buy goods from stores. Those stores in turn pay taxes to the state and local governments. What about this process do you not understand?
What don't I understand? I don't understand why sales tax is relevant to the discussion.

None of that matters, because none of that can be directly tied to the buying and selling of illegal drugs. The government can't look at local sales taxes and tell you if an area's residents are drug dealers or not.

Quote:
Further more i think another poster mentioned that as with inner cities the drug dealers usually fund social activities within the area like school things etc. Now, I’m not for any of this, but just pointing out the similarities with rural white life and inner city black life. Funny they each seem to operate by what is referred to in inner cities "as the code of the streets" both groups do not talk to the cops and nor do the people that know they're doing it. Seem to me there's more of a universal "poor culture" than a universal poor black culture and a separate poor white culture?
That last bolded part is the only thing you've said so far that I agree with. Where I grew up, if you saw a moonshine still in the woods, you never told the cops about it. We weren't poor, but it's just common knowledge; somebody might come and "accidentally" burn your house down.

Last edited by anonymous; 10-16-2007 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-16-2007, 02:21 PM

1,890 posts, read 4,088,763 times
Pot is far less troublesome than tobacco or alcohol. I couldn't care less about these hillbilly farmers.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:39 PM

467 posts, read 1,198,682 times
I taped the History Channel program. It said "In the 1960's many moonshiners turned to a new illegal substance which promised high profits.... Marijuana or pot is Kentucky's number one cash crop... Nearly 4 billion dollars of pot is grown each year in this cash-strapped region [Appalachia] where the average household income is less than $8,000.00 a year.[I don't believe that]..the pot has double the THC content grown in Mexico...Half of the crop is grown on National Forest land....In 1998, a task force made up of Forest Service, ATF, FBI, State Police and National Guard went after the growers [in Eastern Kentucky] and since that year they have made 2000 arrests, confiscated and destroyed 13 million plants worth an estimated 26 billion dollars and said that was 40 to 60 percent of what was grown."
The program sort of blurred Eastern Kentucky and all of Appalachia. I grew up in the mountains of Western North Carolina and knew a few moonshiners. None of whom ever grew pot. And I don't think it does anyone any good to stereotype people, be they in the city or in the mountains.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budong View Post
I taped the History Channel program. It said "In the 1960's many moonshiners turned to a new illegal substance which promised high profits.... Marijuana or pot is Kentucky's number one cash crop... Nearly 4 billion dollars of pot is grown each year in this cash-strapped region [Appalachia] where the average household income is less than $8,000.00 a year.[I don't believe that]..the pot has double the THC content grown in Mexico...Half of the crop is grown on National Forest land....In 1998, a task force made up of Forest Service, ATF, FBI, State Police and National Guard went after the growers [in Eastern Kentucky] and since that year they have made 2000 arrests, confiscated and destroyed 13 million plants worth an estimated 26 billion dollars and said that was 40 to 60 percent of what was grown."
The program sort of blurred Eastern Kentucky and all of Appalachia. I grew up in the mountains of Western North Carolina and knew a few moonshiners. None of whom ever grew pot. And I don't think it does anyone any good to stereotype people, be they in the city or in the mountains.

Why do you find it hard to believe the average income is 8k a year? I've been to west virginia before and i'd be shocked if it was even that much in some of the less populated areas. I mean most of the people don't work in these areas, so illegal drugs seem to be the only job that most of them have. You also forgot to mention that it is extremely tough to put people away who grow pot harvest it and sell on national forrest land etc. I mean think how many murders and missing people happen in this area that go unsolved. A city is much easier and conducive to catch crimals because the land mass is so small and not vast at all.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:10 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,776,028 times
I live in the northern most part of the Appalachia, and yes, we have acute poverty (about 11% well below the PL), and we have a good number of farms, mostly dairy, but I don't think I've seen a single plant that resembles pot....lots of weeds, tho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies