U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 06:01 PM

36,920 posts, read 16,377,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Why throw the word 'hate' around? You cons ***** and moan when libs say you hate gays, yet you can throw around the word hate? I'm not trying to suppress the rights of conservatives, and I certainly don't hate them.
If you followed the posts you would find that I was responding to a poster who used the word hate himself. I merely responded back in that manner. Try to keep up, will you?

I don't hate gays either. I just don't believe in traditional marriages for them. There is enough suppression going on on both sides of the aisle.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 PM

36,920 posts, read 16,377,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Hello? I said "you guys." That refers to both sides. Yeah calling it a war on women is silly. Good job.

Daily Kos: Republican primary voters older, over 90%*white

It would be partially wrong to claim that Democrats are mostly minorities and liberals. While most minorities are Democrats, most Democrats are not minorities. 61% of Dems are white. Most of us are probably liberal though.

Republicans Dream of a Not-So-White Party - Businessweek

Woah, woah, I'm a bigot now? Why so sensitive? And conservatives complain about PC... No, it's not negative. Like I said, it's a fact. Why would I hate old white men when both of my grandpas are old white men, sometime in the future my dad will be an old white man, and someday I hope to be an old white man.

I don't know, why would you feel guilty? I don't. If anything you might be repressing guilt. But I'm not guilty for being white. I recognize its benefits though.
The Daily Kos? Don't me me laugh. They wouldn't know the truth if it hit them square in the face.

I don't feel guilty because I am white. I said there are many whites that do however and I never said you were one of them. Try some reading comprehension will you? I haven't had any benefits from being white nor would I expect any. I don't think I am special for being white but I don't feel guilty because I am white either.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM

2,088 posts, read 2,250,056 times
Liberals seem to think White men in America have privileges that no one else has. Well, I have to work and pay taxes like anyone else. I had to take out loans to pay for college like everyone else. I have a mortgage, car loan, utility bills, etc like everyone else. Where is this supposed privilege that I have over non-Whites?

Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,451,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Liberals seem to think White men in America have privileges that no one else has. Well, I have to work and pay taxes like anyone else. I had to take out loans to pay for college like everyone else. I have a mortgage, car loan, utility bills, etc like everyone else. Where is this supposed privilege that I have over non-Whites?
That was the saddest thing i've ever read. Bless your heart

Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,040,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The Daily Kos? Don't me me laugh. They wouldn't know the truth if it hit them square in the face.

I don't feel guilty because I am white. I said there are many whites that do however and I never said you were one of them. Try some reading comprehension will you? I haven't had any benefits from being white nor would I expect any. I don't think I am special for being white but I don't feel guilty because I am white either.
You don't have to read the commentary, just look at the facts. "Biased, lol" isn't a good enough excuse.

And I never said you felt guilty or that you said I felt guilty. All I did was clarify that I don't, since it wasn't clear whether or not you were implying that I did. It isn't a lack of reading comprehension. When you have someone shouting "It's ridiculous!" to you and having a whole paragraph dedicated to why it's dumb to feel guilty in a post that's directed at you, it's a little hard to tell if you're saying I do or not. I can't read minds, especially over the internet. Seriously, at this point we're not even arguing about anything other than what each of us said, so how about we be clearer in our posts from now on? Agreed? Agreed.

Maybe "lack of drawbacks" is a better way to say it than "benefits." While there are many benefits to being a minority, such as many college scholarships directed at minorities, there are certainly drawbacks as well. The long tradition of racism and slavery in this country still leaves its mark today, even though slavery is long gone and equal rights have been achieved. The fact is that because of lack of fair treatment and education in past centuries and decades, so many minorities ended up in poverty. Impoverished areas almost always have worse schools, especially in the inner city ghetto, which it makes it more difficult to climb out of the hole. You combine that with the social stereotypes, pop culture, and lots of pressure from peers, and you get a gang culture in the run down inner cities. Some will make it out, but average kids usually won't. The average inner city kid's white middle class equivalent will generally make out much better, because he/she has better surroundings. The average kid succeeds or fails based on surroundings, parents, etc. The great ones usually make it no matter what the surroundings are.

So it doesn't have much to do with the shallow subject of skin color, but more with environment. An average Latino person from a middle class neighborhood with good parents can do as well as someone from any other race with the same neighborhood/parents.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,040,585 times
Quote:
My post above would apply as a response to your post too. I'm sure you can agree with most of what I said. I really don't think I'm being unreasonable in my logic.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,497,579 times
Quote:

Little old white ladies are not afraid of you and clutch their purses when you walk by them

Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 PM

2,088 posts, read 2,250,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Little old white ladies are not afraid of you and clutch their purses when you walk by them
No, little old ladies are not afraid of me. It helps that I actually look and dress normally. I'm not covered in tattoos, dress weirdly, or look like I'm a gang member.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,845,232 times
Quote:
No, little old ladies are not afraid of me. It helps that I actually look and dress normally. I'm not covered in tattoos, dress weirdly, or look like I'm a gang member.
So are you implying that anyone who doesn't look like you doesn't deserve respect?
And if so who are you to determine that??

Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,497,579 times
Quote:
Niether do I, and I can wear a three piece suit and they still will clutch their purses and avert their eyes. See, there are advantages of being a regular white guy that you take for granted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies