U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 AM

3,039 posts, read 2,161,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Leaving aside the KKK types, I think that most conservatives do not question that there is white privilege. What we question is the constant drumbeat of racism that we hear from some on the left. I don't know any conservatives who want to keep blacks from getting jobs, having families, voting, going to college, and being successful. But to hear it, it's our mission in life to hold the black man down and our dream is to bring back Jim Crow. That's where we start fighting back. We're tired of it being a political tactic and tired of being vilified. We really, honestly, don't care about race. I live around, work with, and have dated blacks and simply don't think twice about it. But somehow wanting limited government means I'm a racist. It gets old and tiresome.
Amen!

Old 03-03-2013, 12:43 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,804,341 times
Quote:
Leaving aside the KKK types, I think that most conservatives do not question that there is white privilege. What we question is the constant drumbeat of racism that we hear from some on the left. I don't know any conservatives who want to keep blacks from getting jobs, having families, voting, going to college, and being successful. But to hear it, it's our mission in life to hold the black man down and our dream is to bring back Jim Crow. That's where we start fighting back. We're tired of it being a political tactic and tired of being vilified. We really, honestly, don't care about race. I live around, work with, and have dated blacks and simply don't think twice about it. But somehow wanting limited government means I'm a racist. It gets old and tiresome.
I didn't know "Arrchie Bunker" was still alive!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:19 AM

7,371 posts, read 4,622,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I didn't know "Arrchie Bunker" was still alive!
case in point

Old 03-03-2013, 01:48 AM

5,576 posts, read 3,596,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
If you're referring to the poster using apostrophes for plurals in the statement, "The Democrat's War on White People," and telling the poster to please not use apostrophes for plurals in that instance, then perhaps you had better go back to 3rd grade youself.

Apostrophes are also used to indicate possessive, such as, "Democrats' war on white people." The apostrophe indicates that the war is one that the democrats possess. If the apostrophe were left out, as in, "Democrats war on white people," that would be incorrect grammar.

The poster placed the apostrophe in the wrong place, indicating singular possessive (democrat's), rather than plural possessive (democrats').

Same is true for, say, "The past ten years' worth of work by Congress is of no value." If it was just one year, the statement would be, "The past year's worth of work by Congress is of no value." The apostrophe indicates possession, in this case, by Congress.

Maybe you ought to think twice before you tell someone they were supposed to have "learned better than that" in 3rd grade.

best of luck with your grammar.
toodie
Unless he's referring to a single Democrat, he did it wrong, period. Millions of people us an apostrophe to indicate plurals, and that's what I'm betting he did.

Your grammar lesson is superfluous. Makes you look silly.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:59 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,464,939 times
Quote:

When you say "conservative" that can mean anyone from a racist teapartier to a fiscal conservative to a social conservative and everything in between. Now just because you don't know any that think like that all that you have to do is read what gets posted on cd and I will beg the differ. I will never say that all conservatives are racist because I would be dead wrong, but there are alot of conservatives that share/have racist views towards blacks.

My feelings about this, is whenever one of your fellow conservative makes a racist statement and is not called out by his peers it makes people from the outside feel that they are also in agreement to what was said. Now that it in self does not make them all racist but it sure gives the impression that they are.

When you express wanting limited government, does it include limiting the breaks of those who really do not need them on the backs of the poor? Even if you believe that, I can't say that would make you a racist, at most I would say that "your economic distress compass was directionally skewed due to political manipulation through the media"

Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM

795 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Quote:
The problem is that there is enough of you who want to keep blacks down to make all of you look bad...

I guess the same could go for the black gangster types...

White and blond...

We all get caught up in some stereotype at one time or another. They hurt like hell when people call you out of them and they are not you... you just fit the profile.

Far as your "limited gov't" comment, it really depends on how you want to get there. Problem with conservatives is how the message is sent out.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:35 PM

9,454 posts, read 12,254,159 times
Default Didn't Want to be too hard on the Anti - Black Cheerleaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You did not mention the fact that the media is also owned and run by white men
So You See I Didn't Want to be too hard on the Anti - Black Cheerleaders

Old 03-03-2013, 04:46 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,804,341 times
Quote:
case in point
Case in point? refers to the fact that "whites" being pale skinned northern Europeans no longer are the majority in the US hence my Archie Bunker comment.
I happen to be one of them as well just not as paranoid. I am also a "hispanic" as well.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:25 PM

510 posts, read 359,869 times
Quote:
Little old white ladies are not afraid of you and clutch their purses when you walk by them
...So White males are 'privileged' because they're not disproportionately represented in per capita crime statics?

Only in America...

Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
Quote:
Niether do I, and I can wear a three piece suit and they still will clutch their purses and avert their eyes. See, there are advantages of being a regular white guy that you take for granted
That is not due to White people. That is due to crime statistics/demographics.
Sadly there's nothing you can personally do to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies