Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Are we going to have to go through this every GD time the president takes a vacation?
Yes.

Quote:
GW Bush set the record for vacation days by a president in his first year in office! No wonder we got caught with our pants down on 9/11!
^^This^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 10:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
He could cancel his vacation and go help with storm clean up. That would be a good example for other citizens. Imagine that--Obama doing something good for a change.

He talks the talk now he needs to learn to walk the walk. LOL That'll be the day! Elitist don't do work, they supervise others that do.
It certainly would be great for morale -- and those $4 million could go a long way in helping people who face a very uncertain and cold winter.

Jimmy Carter for all his weaknesses was not above picking up a hammer and getting personally involved in the projects he believed in.

This presidency reminds me of King Nero fiddling while Rome burned.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The security agents get paid the same no matter where they are or where the President goes.
Yes, and we all know what a TERRIBLE gig Hawaii in the winter must be!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I think that the bill should be divided up between all of those that voted for him.
If this Christmas family vacation of Obama is all the right has to complain about him, Obama must be doing very well as president!

Quote:
Those who criticize the cost of Obama’s Christmas vacation don’t want you to know that George W. Bush spent at least $20 million taxpayer dollars just on flights to his ranch in Crawford.
Bush Spent 5 Times More On Flights To Texas Than Obama

Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Really?

"In an effort to "prevent Palestinians from attacking towns in southern Israel with missiles," Israel today undertook its third day of offensive military airstrikes in the Palestinian territory of Gaza, raising the death toll to more than 300. The Palestinian casualty numbers have been described as the highest over such a brief period since the 1967 Six-Day war. Scores of Israelis have been wounded -- and at least one killed -- by rocket attacks fired by Palestinians. Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak called the situation "all out war."

While Bush has been briefed on the situation by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley, he has opted not to interrupt his final vacation as president to make a public statement on the crisis. For someone who has enjoyed the most vacation days as sitting president -- including days spent relaxing in comfort during Hurricane Katrina and in the lead-up to 9/11 -- it shouldn't come as a huge surprise that Bush prioritizes vacationing over crisis management"

Bush Enjoys Vacation As Middle East Crisis Escalates

At 4:00 PM on Sunday, August 28th, "National Hurricane Center Meteorologist Chris Lauer said Katrina was still on track to hit the New Orleans area as a devastating Category 5 hurricane as its eye comes ashore" on Monday morning, August 29th, Gordon Russell wrote in The Times-Picayune.

Also, on Sunday, August 28th, Max Mayfield, still "worried about Hurricane Katrina ... even talked about the force of Katrina during a video conference call to President Bush at his ranch in Crawford, Texas."

"In his first extensive interview since resigning as FEMA director" on September 12th, Michael D. Brown "declined to blame President Bush or the White House for his removal or for the flawed response," New York Times' David D. Kirkpatrick and Scott Shane wrote September 15, 2005.

"But Mr. Brown's account, in which he described making 'a blur of calls' all week to Mr. Chertoff, Mr. Card and Mr. Hagin, suggested that Mr. Bush, or at least his top aides, were informed early and repeatedly by the top federal official at the scene that state and local authorities were overwhelmed and that the overall response was going badly," they wrote.

Caught on Tape

The Associated Press reported March 1, 2006, that film footage it had obtained, "along with seven days of transcripts of briefings ... show in excruciating detail that while federal officials anticipated the tragedy that unfolded in New Orleans and elsewhere along the Gulf Coast, they were fatally slow to realize they had not mustered enough resources to deal with the unprecedented disaster.

"Linked by secure video, Bush expressed a confidence on Aug. 28 that starkly contrasted with the dire warnings his disaster chief and numerous federal, state and local officials provided during the four days before the storm."

"In dramatic and agonizing terms, federal disaster officials warned President Bush and his homeland security chief that Hurricane Katrina could breach levees, put lives at risk in New Orleans' Superdome and overwhelm rescuers, according to video footage," AP reported. "Bush didn't ask any questions during the final briefing before Katrina struck on Aug. 29, but he assured soon-to-be-battered state officials: 'We are fully prepared'.

George W. Bush: Hurricane Katrina - SourceWatch

Ken

Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Anybody who actually believes that anybody is spending "millions on vacations" demonstrates several different levels of ignorance.

1. Most of those "millions" are sunk costs which would be spent even if Obama stayed in DC.

2. Most of those "millions" are spent because a President cannot actually take a "vacation" at all, and must always be accompanied by the resources needed to do the job of President.

3. Most of those "millions" are actually dictated by law, not by the whims of the President.

But I know... never let this sort of stuff get in the way of a good partisan whine.
It is his choice to go on vacation. Americans are foregoing vacations. IMO, he should too. You cannot tell me it would not be cheaper for him to stay home like many Americans are doing because of this economy. If he were spending his money to go on vacation, I'd be fine with it but he's spending mine.

If he doesn't go, Airforce one stays on the ground. All of the support people who go with him don't need hotel rooms.....so on and so on and so on....

IMO, his number one job, right now, should be the fiscal cliff. I really don't care what previous presidents did or did not do. That does not excuse what he is doing. He is choosing to go on vacation while someone else deals with the fiscal cliff. I don't care if Bush went on vacation during a middle east crisis. I don't live in teh middle east. I live in America. You know, the country obama was elected to run!! He should be in Washington while the fiscal cliff is being wrestled with not on vacation in Hawaii. This trip is irresponsible on too many levels. NOW is the time for him to be doing his job NOT going on vacation. This is something he was elected to handle. Instead he goes to the beach... I really question the intelligence of anyone who voted for him.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It certainly would be great for morale -- and those $4 million could go a long way in helping people who face a very uncertain and cold winter.

Jimmy Carter for all his weaknesses was not above picking up a hammer and getting personally involved in the projects he believed in.

This presidency reminds me of King Nero fiddling while Rome burned.
You mean GWB who remained on vacation while New Orleans went under from Katrina? I would have to agree with you for once!

Quote:
The problem is that W. wasn’t thrifty. He was the most expensive vacation president in US history. Not only did Bush spend more days on vacation than any other president, but he used Air Force One more often while on vacation than any other president.
Bush Spent 5 Times More On Flights To Texas Than Obama‘s Christmas Vacation Costs

Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You mean GWB who remained on vacation while New Orleans went under from Katrina? I would have to agree with you for once!

Bush Spent 5 Times More On Flights To Texas Than Obama‘s Christmas Vacation Costs
George Bush has not been president for four years now. You really need to get over him. There is someone worse than him to talk about in the White House now. Just getting you up to speed here. You seem to be stuck in the past.

I am wondering why a nation that has separation of church and state is taking time off for a religious holiday. A child cannot read God's name in a poem on Veteran's Day but this president can take off three weeks to celebrate and cost the taxpayer's $4 million dollars. Does something about this appear two-faced to anyone else.

And no I don't really mean that but am just putting things in the light of day. You cannot display Christmas in the town center but we can pay taxes for people to get off to celebrate. It is enough to make a person puke.

Why are we letting 13% of those in America dictate to the rest of us. They don't have to join in if they don't want to, but it is not right for them to prevent us from having our happiness.

Last edited by NCN; 12-01-2012 at 10:24 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 10:18 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Actually, that is different. Bush coming home wouldn't have helped with Katrina one bit and the Katrina clean up would be a multi year operation not over in a few weeks as the fiscal cliff will be one way or the other. While the president approves help to disaster areas he does not oversee it. obama is shirking his duty to negotiate the fiscal cliff by choosing to go on vacation at this point in time. Bush did no such thing. obama needs to be in Washington dealing with what he was elected to deal with not on the beaches of Hawaii right now. Vacation can wait until the fiscal cliff is dealt with.

Whether Bush was in Washington or not was irrelevent during Katrina. Whether obama is in Washington or not during the fiscal cliff DOES MATTER. He is going on vacation NOW because _______________???? What is the reason this vacation cannot wait until the fiscal cliff is dealt with??? I'd really like to know.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
He could cancel his vacation and go help with storm clean up. That would be a good example for other citizens. Imagine that--Obama doing something good for a change.

He talks the talk now he needs to learn to walk the walk. LOL That'll be the day! Elitist don't do work, they supervise others that do.

Did Bush cancel any of his vacations to help with "clean up" from 9/11 or Katrina? Or is this a new expectation for a black president?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies