Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
You aren't wrong. They are just haters.......
So the assumption is that Obama does not continue as acting president while in Hawaii, an American state?

Obama is briefed daily on matters that affect the US and has the technology available to do whatever he needs to do.

Quote:
When news that Hurricane Katrina was approaching the Gulf Coast in 2004, President Bush decided to remain on vacation at his ranch in Texas. On that gruesome day in late August when the Hurricane actually hit, the President was actually heading off to meet with senior citizens regarding a Medicare drug program.
Obama and his office remained in communication with the state and local governments of the region as well as FEMA throughout the storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Did Bush cancel any of his vacations to help with "clean up" from 9/11 or Katrina? Or is this a new expectation for a black president?
Yeah; they don't want to talk about that. Remember how well Katrina was handled?

I guess Democratic Presidents are held to a higher standard. Maybe they should be ~ that bar was set pretty low.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It is his choice to go on vacation. Americans are foregoing vacations. IMO, he should too. You cannot tell me it would not be cheaper for him to stay home like many Americans are doing because of this economy. If he were spending his money to go on vacation, I'd be fine with it but he's spending mine.

If he doesn't go, Airforce one stays on the ground. All of the support people who go with him don't need hotel rooms.....so on and so on and so on....

IMO, his number one job, right now, should be the fiscal cliff. I really don't care what previous presidents did or did not do. That does not excuse what he is doing. He is choosing to go on vacation while someone else deals with the fiscal cliff. I don't care if Bush went on vacation during a middle east crisis. I don't live in teh middle east. I live in America. You know, the country obama was elected to run!! He should be in Washington while the fiscal cliff is being wrestled with not on vacation in Hawaii. This trip is irresponsible on too many levels. NOW is the time for him to be doing his job NOT going on vacation. This is something he was elected to handle. Instead he goes to the beach... I really question the intelligence of anyone who voted for him.
I love this post and it says it all. What about the security detail that might have more time with their families....oh, wait, they may want to spend Christmas in Hawaii...LOL...and there may be extracurricular activities they can engage in after hours, on the taxpayers dime. By the way, Congress isn't in session during the holidays, are they ? Of course, the president taking the countrys economy seriously and staying in DC might set an example....you know, walk the walk, talk the talk, lead by example.......

Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
wait.

we may have a new record. the second response was the obligatory "but but but bush did it"

when you get thru humping obama's leg, try and see the difference in Bush going to Crawford where the SS is established and obama flying off to hawaii for three weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Deflection.

President Bush spent much of his vacation time on his ranch in Texas - he didn't fly to Hawaii.
So Bush took a Greyhound bus to Texas with no SS protection? Interesting. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Isn't Obama a "federal employee"? Even doctors only get 52 days of vacation a year.

Maybe the President has different rules.

Nice gig for Secret Service, but who would want a job where you are supposed to take a bullet for a guy?

Look at it this way, he is stimulating the economy. Lots of other folks are not going any place for Christmas, they can't afford to move.
Maybe you should take a look at Congress' vacay.

Quote:
No, we should elect people who have the sense to not spend millions on vacations while the country languishes and we approach a fiscal cliff.

A president serving during a recession (and we are in one) should be expected to be frugal. It is not a stretch to ask the president to cut costs on his own vacations when we are cutting costs by bugeting groceries or deciding who gets a new coat this year. His vacations are a slap in the face to every American suffering under this economy. How many meals could that $4 million buy? How many coats for kids who have none because dad lost his job?

Yes, I expect my president to forego expensive vacations when people can't find jobs and are going hungry. It's the LEAST I should be able to expect. AND this is coming at a time when he should be working on that fiscal cliff!!!!!! He's not a leader. He uses the system just like the people who elected him only he uses it to take expensive vacations. He's their role model. They aspire to find a way to use the system like he does.
There is always a "reason" why the pres should not take a vacation using the above logic. Even in good times, there are people out of work, hungry, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
$4 million could go a long way to helping the storm victims.

This extremely expensive luxury vacation just proves how very little Obama cares about Americans facing fiancial difficulty.
Oh, bull! See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
He could cancel his vacation and go help with storm clean up. That would be a good example for other citizens. Imagine that--Obama doing something good for a change.

He talks the talk now he needs to learn to walk the walk. LOL That'll be the day! Elitist don't do work, they supervise others that do.
Maybe you should cancel your vacation and do some storm cleanup. Oh, but "that's different", right?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So it was okay for Bush to spend a historic amount of money and time on vacation but not now? What changed your mind about that issue suddenly?
The subject is this president's lack of caring for the American people. You really need to catch up. Bush is no longer the president. Did you go to sleep and miss four years?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I love this post and it says it all. What about the security detail that might have more time with their families....oh, wait, they may want to spend Christmas in Hawaii...LOL...and there may be extracurricular activities they can engage in after hours, on the taxpayers dime. By the way, Congress isn't in session during the holidays, are they ? Of course, the president taking the countrys economy seriously and staying in DC might set an example....you know, walk the walk, talk the talk, lead by example.......
How did you feel about Walmart employees needing to work on Thanksgiving?

About staying in DC to solve the fiscal cliff: This is an opportunity for Boehner and the Republicans to set an example and show Americans how they walk the talk. Do you expect they will do that?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So Bush took a Greyhound bus to Texas with no SS protection? Interesting. . . .

Maybe you should take a look at Congress' vacay.

There is always a "reason" why the pres should not take a vacation using the above logic. Even in good times, there are people out of work, hungry, etc.

Oh, bull! See above.

Maybe you should cancel your vacation and do some storm cleanup. Oh, but "that's different", right?
I am not the one bragging about how much I am doing for the American people. When one does charity work, they should not even let the right hand know what the left hand is doing. I am a private citizen and what I do is my own business. You are pointing fingers at others so they will stop noticing what is going on in government with your great one.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
The subject is this president's lack of caring for the American people. You really need to catch up. Bush is no longer the president. Did you go to sleep and miss four years?
We are dealing with the issue of presidential vacations and cost to taxpayers, are we not?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
No, we should elect people who have the sense to not spend millions on vacations while the country languishes and we approach a fiscal cliff.

A president serving during a recession (and we are in one) should be expected to be frugal. It is not a stretch to ask the president to cut costs on his own vacations when we are cutting costs by bugeting groceries or deciding who gets a new coat this year. His vacations are a slap in the face to every American suffering under this economy. How many meals could that $4 million buy? How many coats for kids who have none because dad lost his job?

Yes, I expect my president to forego expensive vacations when people can't find jobs and are going hungry. It's the LEAST I should be able to expect. AND this is coming at a time when he should be working on that fiscal cliff!!!!!! He's not a leader. He uses the system just like the people who elected him only he uses it to take expensive vacations. He's their role model. They aspire to find a way to use the system like he does.
I don't know about you .... but I want a President who is well rested, and ready to take on the challenges of being President of The United States.

I want him to be in good spirits, and not feel like he is "chained to the desk" inside the Oval Office, dealing with one crisis after another.

Obama had an extremely difficult and strenuous year as President in 2012.

With the election, the Benghazi attacks, the economy, the budget, the war in Afghanistan, Superstorm Sandy, and everything else Obama has had to deal with in 2012, Obama deserves a break, and I for one am HAPPY to contribute to a VERY WELL DESERVED holiday for him and his entire family!

I am extremely glad he will be spending the holidays in his home state of Hawaii with his family!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I am not the one bragging about how much I am doing for the American people. When one does charity work, they should not even let the right hand know what the left hand is doing. I am a private citizen and what I do is my own business. You are point fingers at others so they will stop noticing what is going on in government with your great one.
So much for your idea of setting an example.

Post #119.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies