Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Maybe men will quit roofing and plumbing too that is always that...
I don't get it. Color me stupid.

Am I supposed to be scared?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Who says they are not appreciated?
I once worked for a feed store that was woman owned and woman operated, till OSHA contacted the boss and told her that her women employees could not be allowed to lift the feed bags or the bales of hay or straw. I was hired to do all the heavy lifting and moving and was fine with it. In less than two months and several pay raises, my boss had an employee meeting and the discussion was wether I should be given another raise that would put me making more than the female employees. All the women said to give me the raise, that they appreciated that I did all the heavy work and they were able to do their jobs more efficiently because of that. Never did they feel that I was one upping them, nor was I upset about doing all the heavy work. Men are usually larger and stronger, so we expect to do work that requires our extra beef.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I once worked for a feed store that was woman owned and woman operated, till OSHA contacted the boss and told her that her women employees could not be allowed to lift the feed bags or the bales of hay or straw. I was hired to do all the heavy lifting and moving and was fine with it. In less than two months and several pay raises, my boss had an employee meeting and the discussion was wether I should be given another raise that would put me making more than the female employees. All the women said to give me the raise, that they appreciated that I did all the heavy work and they were able to do their jobs more efficiently because of that. Never did they feel that I was one upping them, nor was I upset about doing all the heavy work. Men are usually larger and stronger, so we expect to do work that requires our extra beef.
Until in 10 years or so, one of them decides to sue the employer because you made more than they did. The fact that you did the heavy, difficult work will be forgotten, while you may be scapegoated as the evil guy that made more than women did doing "the same job".

Not that it will happen in your case. It sounds like you work with some honest, intelligent co-workers. I do have to wonder about the OSHA person that discriminated against the women...has (s)he been sued yet?

Old 12-01-2012, 01:40 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Until in 10 years or so, one of them decides to sue the employer because you made more than they did. The fact that you did the heavy, difficult work will be forgotten, while you may be scapegoated as the evil guy that made more than women did doing "the same job".

Not that it will happen in your case. It sounds like you work with some honest, intelligent co-workers. I do have to wonder about the OSHA person that discriminated against the women...has (s)he been sued yet?
The business is no longer doing business. OSHA made the rules to not allow women in the work force to lift over 50 pounds, a bale of hay can weigh at 127 pounds, a bale of straw at 75 pounds and we also carried bags of feed that weighed 90 pounds. The women could and were allowed to carry feed bags weighing 50 pounds or less. I would not call it discrimination, so much as that many women cannot lift as much weight as a man due to smaller body structer and muscles. The jobs at the feed store were based on ability, I am strong and can lift quite heavy weights, I became barn manager and thus was due a higher pay scale because I had a larger work load. The women did not do the same job that I did, they were primarily sales or in the nursery department of the feed store. I did not do sales and my job in the nursery was again moving heavy plants and objects.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:43 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And yet they want the same pay for sitting in an air conditioned office and talking on the phone that a man gets for doing physically demanding or dangereous jobs. If they don't get it...they whine "geneder inequality" or "glass ceiling". Tell me...do women working in the logging industry setting choakers make less than men do for doing the same job?
Noooo...

the want the same pay for sitting in an air conditioned office and talking on the phone that a man gets for sitting in an air conditioned office and talking on the phone - assuming they both perform equally well.

Wage inequality exists IN THE SAME JOB CATEGORY. Stop comparing office workers to oil rig workers.

Also, as an aside: men who sit in air conditioned offices talking on the phone routinely make more than men doing physically demanding or dangerous jobs.

Back to the drawing board for you...

Old 12-14-2012, 05:19 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Noooo...

the want the same pay for sitting in an air conditioned office and talking on the phone that a man gets for sitting in an air conditioned office and talking on the phone - assuming they both perform equally well.

Wage inequality exists IN THE SAME JOB CATEGORY. Stop comparing office workers to oil rig workers.

Also, as an aside: men who sit in air conditioned offices talking on the phone routinely make more than men doing physically demanding or dangerous jobs.

Back to the drawing board for you...
*fist bump*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies