Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Let's all be honest... 40 hours a week at McDonalds for 7.25 (bare minimum wage)... let me get my calculator... 290/wk, deduct taxes and social security - leaving them roughly 210.00 for the week.

That is not a living wage by any stretch of the imagination, unless you are in high school living with the parents.

Two things need to happen... 1. The feds need to get ahold of the inflation 2. Minimum wage is absurdly low.
Two things need to happen, 1. you need to get rid of the "living wage" mentality for an entry level fast food cook job and 2. those people need to stop taking worthless college degree courses and study for a real career degree or study at a vocational school to get a career job and then they'll get a "living wage" for working at a "career" job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
NYC has one of the highest costs of living in the U.S. yet minimum wage is $7.25.

Unfortunately for these workers, there's a heck of a lot more of them than there are entry level jobs.
Exactly. According to this cost of living calculator a salary based on minimum wage ($15,080) in my home city of Omaha (one of the lowest cost of living ratings among major cities) would need to increase to $30,817 for the Brooklyn area.

I'm shocked how few people understand this.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You mean $7.25 an hour or were you exaggerating? If you are ignorant, than I think it would be rather silly of you to make the comment you did. If you were exaggerating, then why? Why would there be a need to exaggerate if $7.25 was too little? So which is it? Ignorant or exaggerating?
Such a huge difference in pay! Those workers, who went on strike, don't understand just how much money they are really making.....................NOT! Try living on $7.25/hour in NYC!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Try living on $7.25/hour in NYC!
Yup, it is impossible live in NYC on a low wage like that.

Oh, except these striking workers do.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Walmart workers with experience are only getting $12/hour.
Many of Walmart employees depend on government assistance programs, such as Medicaid and food stamps, to get by. The tax payer, in essence, is supplementing low wages while the Waltons pocket billions. Like that?

Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Such a huge difference in pay! Those workers, who went on strike, don't understand just how much money they are really making.....................NOT! Try living on $7.25/hour in NYC!
Try moving out of NYC. That would be my suggestion to these idiots.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Many of Walmart employees depend on government assistance programs, such as Medicaid and food stamps, to get by. The tax payer, in essence, is supplementing low wages while the Waltons pocket billions. Like that?
Yes, I do like that actually. That's because as a reasonable person, I don't logically expect a RETAIL job to pay me more than a few bucks above minimum wage, if that.

What I like even more is that living in America i'm able to build a business in which I can "pocket billions" through my hardwork, dedication, and determination. The Walton's did that, and they should be commended.

The problem here is that liberals' expectations are unreasonable and illogical. It seems that you have no problem relegating yourself to the life of a retail worker, but you have ZERO rationality as to what you expect to get paid in that life of retail.

Such a disturbing ideology you folks possess. No wonder America is ****ed.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
And McDonalds, and convenience stores, and Mom & Pop stores, and unskilled temp labor, and the usher at the movie theater, and etc.

Many employees period make a wage that if they were head of household they'd qualify for assistance.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yes, I do like that actually. That's because as a reasonable person, I don't logically expect a RETAIL job to pay me more than a few bucks above minimum wage, if that.

What I like even more is that living in America i'm able to build a business in which I can "pocket billions" through my hardwork, dedication, and determination.

The problem here is that liberals' expectations are unreasonable and illogical. It seems that you have no problem relegating yourself to the life of a retail worker, but you have ZERO rationality as to what you expect to get paid in that life of retail.

Then don't complain about government programs and assistance to help those low wage employees get by. If billionaires expect government to help pay their employees, government can expect billionaires to pay more taxes.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:51 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Try moving out of NYC. That would be my suggestion to these idiots.
Excellent idea. Then what do you do about the people who then have to take that job?

Quote:

What I like even more is that living in America i'm able to build a business in which I can "pocket billions" through my hardwork, dedication, and determination. The Walton's did that, and they should be commended.

You too, apparently have trouble understanding the concept of cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies