U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2015, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,419,657 times
Reputation: 7829

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Ive seen estimates from 8-82 million dollars per mile for new hi speed rail.
Libs will need to harness a bunch of unicorns and sprinkle a ton of fairy dust to pull it off.
It depends on where the mile of rail is. Open land with little in the way is going to be much cheaper than areas that require serious engineering feats.

Funny you say we would need unicorn fairy dust to pull off something like this in a country that built a national interstate system. It is sad to think how far we have fallen as a nation that the thought of building a rail system is pure fantasy.

 
Old 01-09-2015, 11:41 AM
 
6,762 posts, read 2,486,662 times
Reputation: 3644
Per thread title and poll question - No.

Rail is a boondoggle writ large. Period. The US does not need it, and it will waste vast sums of money for no national benefit whatsoever.
 
Old 01-09-2015, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,419,657 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Per thread title and poll question - No.

Rail is a boondoggle writ large. Period. The US does not need it, and it will waste vast sums of money for no national benefit whatsoever.
Yep, it is a boondoggle just like interstates are.
 
Old 01-09-2015, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 51,222,776 times
Reputation: 24606
One persons boondoggle is another job and/or profit. Spending in High Speed Rail (I like the plan on the map) results in an improved infrastructure. Spending on our empire results in more money lost for our overseas investors and the need to kill ever more people to fix the results.
 
Old 01-09-2015, 03:59 PM
 
9,473 posts, read 5,883,559 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You lose the edge when you quit doing things. That's where technological advances, confidence and an able workforce are grown. If we keep sitting around while the Chinese forge ahead we will regret it.
Well, we have been doing "the government driven economy" for a long time. THAT is our problem. Get public funding and direction out of our lives and "getting ahead" will be the natural thing to happen.
 
Old 01-09-2015, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,419,657 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Well, we have been doing "the government driven economy" for a long time. THAT is our problem. Get public funding and direction out of our lives and "getting ahead" will be the natural thing to happen.
Large scale projects would never happen without public funding and input.
 
Old 01-09-2015, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
5,802 posts, read 5,444,785 times
Reputation: 3113
An Amtrak train from LA to Chicago takes over 40 hours as opposed to a 3 1/2 hour plane ride, so there's no way that HSR would work due to the lack of density between the two cities, on top of the 10-plus years required for an environmental review.
 
Old 01-09-2015, 06:36 PM
 
29,247 posts, read 26,177,667 times
Reputation: 10208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
An Amtrak train from LA to Chicago takes over 40 hours as opposed to a 3 1/2 hour plane ride, so there's no way that HSR would work due to the lack of density between the two cities, on top of the 10-plus years required for an environmental review.
How come the Chinese can do it and we can't?

Looks to me like they are crushing us on technology, building expertise and plain old can-do spirit. Remember when we built Hoover dam and all these huge infrastructure and scientific projects? Lord knows what we would do if we suddenly had to gear up.
 
Old 01-09-2015, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,419,657 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
An Amtrak train from LA to Chicago takes over 40 hours as opposed to a 3 1/2 hour plane ride, so there's no way that HSR would work due to the lack of density between the two cities, on top of the 10-plus years required for an environmental review.
What about LA to SF or Sacramento? Would HSR work for that? LA to Chicago wouldn't be considered regional rail travel, especially with having to cross the Rockies in the process. Chicago to Denver would take about 5-6 hours on train compared to 2 hrs 15 minutes by plane, not including commute time to and from the airports in both locations. That would be a more realistic HSR ride.
 
Old 01-09-2015, 06:56 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
12,300 posts, read 7,931,205 times
Reputation: 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How come the Chinese can do it and we can't?

Looks to me like they are crushing us on technology, building expertise and plain old can-do spirit. Remember when we built Hoover dam and all these huge infrastructure and scientific projects? Lord knows what we would do if we suddenly had to gear up.
We have these things called laws that must be followed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top