Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:29 AM

36 posts, read 34,124 times

Advertisements

I think the California HSR should be in the East Bay. It's a stupid idea putting it on the Peninsula. The East Bay needs the economic stimulus.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:31 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,390,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
here is what you can do.

High speed rail for passengers.
=
only HIGH POPULATION areas ONE WAY NO STOPS.
can be largely automated if there are no accidents conductors don't need to do anything.

rural areas = use cars no high speed until they get into large cities

NYC to San Francisco
NYC to HOUSTON
NYC to MIAMI
NYC to WASHINGTON DC

vice versa.

if small towns want it too bad they need to meet the population density threshold first.
in the scale of dense large cities

PROBLEM SOLVED.
no reason not to have them.

perhaps one high speed rail to each state later on
BUT NOT NOW ONLY DENSELY POPULATED AREAS MAKE SENSE.

that is the compromise I would make with the magnetic bullet trains if they want it.

public transportation only makes sense if your population density is high after all

steps: for high speed
1. high speed for regional transportation
2. get off and take local transportation once in area.
3. walk/bike/taxi when it gets close to said area
done

we can also have high speed freight on trains instead of on planes.
You are missing the point.

Economies develop around infrastructure, not the other way around.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:24 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,769,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How, specifically?
During our three nation vacation, we preferred rail over flying for MANY reasons. And while not on HSR, I will let a few images from India speak for themselves:
Board...

Dinner with first course...

Relax and get a good night sleep...

Breakfast served following morning tea...

Socialize...

What I didn't mention... no intrusive security check point, luggage restrictions, no non-sense. Arrive 10-15 minutes early, board, relax, sleep, destination. The alternative was taking a flight (30 lb luggage restriction, number of pieces one could carry), keep couple of hours at the airport, another hour or so to receive your checked baggage, take taxi, find a hotel, find a restaurant...

Wish Amtrak could be like that here, and I would drive less and spend more time meaningfully. As for HSR, what a great way it would be to travel from Dallas to Houston or Austin, in about half the time and much more relaxed way to travel than to drive or, worse, to fly.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:04 PM

13,853 posts, read 5,567,979 times
B O O N D O G G L E

Period, the end.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,102,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
B O O N D O G G L E

Period, the end.
D I S A G R E E

Period, the end.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
B O O N D O G G L E

Period, the end.
Nobody was asking for your state of mind.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:34 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,545,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
During our three nation vacation, we preferred rail over flying for MANY reasons. And while not on HSR, I will let a few images from India speak for themselves:
Board...
I can eat at the airport if I choose.

There is no flight that remains in the US that requires me to sleep.

There are no plane restrictions the keep me from talking to those seated beside me, and in the case of some Southwest seats, in front of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What I didn't mention... no intrusive security check point, luggage restrictions, no non-sense. Arrive 10-15 minutes early, board, relax, sleep, destination. The alternative was taking a flight (30 lb luggage restriction, number of pieces one could carry), keep couple of hours at the airport, another hour or so to receive your checked baggage, take taxi, find a hotel, find a restaurant...

Wish Amtrak could be like that here, and I would drive less and spend more time meaningfully. As for HSR, what a great way it would be to travel from Dallas to Houston or Austin, in about half the time and much more relaxed way to travel than to drive or, worse, to fly.
I typically arrive for all domestic flight abouts 75 minutes prior to departure and have never waited more than 15 minutes for a checked bag. Where are you flying and with what airline?

I live in Houston, and I'd much rather drive to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio or Corpus than take a plane or a train.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I can eat at the airport if I choose.

There is no flight that remains in the US that requires me to sleep.

There are no plane restrictions the keep me from talking to those seated beside me, and in the case of some Southwest seats, in front of me.

I typically arrive for all domestic flight abouts 75 minutes prior to departure and have never waited more than 15 minutes for a checked bag. Where are you flying and with what airline?

I live in Houston, and I'd much rather drive to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio or Corpus than take a plane or a train.
I'm glad to be not you, your willingness to deal with what I see as an abomination and restrictions... but may be you haven't really experienced much besides what you've been dealt.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:58 PM

13,290 posts, read 7,843,984 times
Just run a high speed rail on the course plotted for the Keystone Pipeline.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:58 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,426,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No. And there are so many reasons I don't even know where to begin.

One obvious one that comes to mind is that every city on the map will want a stop and the resulting "high speed" train will end up going slower than Amtrak does today.
I wonder why HappyTexan is wrong about everything?

You do know that there is multiple options on trains, decisions on stops, and capability to have express as well as local trains?

It only would be "that slow" if it was designed that way.

China is moving forward with high speed trains, and currently has the fastest, topping 300mph.

3,000 miles.

A jet does the trip in 6hours

A 300mph train could do it in 10hrs

4 hour difference, if you could handle 300mph the entire time. Maybe not feasible today, but feasible soon. Plus trains would more likely bring you right to city center (and not 30-1hr outside of city of laguardia or whatever). Not to mention the comfort options (6 hours in a tube, 12 hours in luxury at the same price). I know with kids, I would pick comfort and somwhere for my 2 year old to run.

China will demonstrate the effectiveness of high speed rail over large distances, and maybe after they do we will jump on the band wagon too late?

this isn't even thinking about technology that could enable faster than plane travel (such as the Tesla idea).

I think airtravel is a stop gap, you can't keep doing it with big gas guzzling planes forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.